• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I've made an appointment with shaw somers

jasonslaphead

After reading all the posts about the hoops that people have to jump through to get funding and the long waits, also the attitude of my gp surgery and pct I have decided to go private. It will be tight financially but I should be able to struggle through. I just spoke to a nice lady on the phone and I have an appointment for an initial consultation with Shaw Somers on 29 sept at St Richards :)
I think if i went through the hassles of trying to get the funding from the nhs I would drive myself round the bend as I can be quite impatient, so its probably the best route for me. Only downside is I was thinking of buying car in the close future so that's out of the window now for a good while I will have to keep my old jalopy for a while.

Hey Jason, I had a lot of hassle with the nhs as well, and went private. It is a big comittment but you will be so glad you did it. New car will pale in comparison to shifting the weight.
Good luck with your appointment x

good luck with your appointment - I think I'm meant to be seeing Mr Somers on the 29th September...might just see you there!

Hi Jason. Shaw Somers did my band - also private. I first tried the NHS route in 2007 - twice - then gave up. So I too decided to find the best surgeon for the job and he fitted the bill. I haven't been disappointed. So welcome to minis and good luck.

You won't be dissappointed he's brilliant everything goes so smoothly you'll be through in no time

M

Good for you. He seems like one of the best surgeons out there. I wish I could go private for my bypass but I think my husband would think I was insane.

After reading all the posts about the hoops that people have to jump through to get funding and the long waits, also the attitude of my gp surgery and pct I have decided to go private. It will be tight financially but I should be able to struggle through. I just spoke to a nice lady on the phone and I have an appointment for an initial consultation with Shaw Somers on 29 sept at St Richards :)
I think if i went through the hassles of trying to get the funding from the nhs I would drive myself round the bend as I can be quite impatient, so its probably the best route for me. Only downside is I was thinking of buying car in the close future so that's out of the window now for a good while I will have to keep my old jalopy for a while.
HI, just wanted to say good luck with your appt, you will be in very very safe hands and he is such a lovely guy, fantastic surgeon i had mine done by him on 1st April and im so grateful to him for saving my life mentally and physically. Anything you want to know or if i can help in any way just yell. xx

Oh I still have not picked up the phone, so nervous. I too would like to go private with Shaw Somers but put off the call every day. Weird as if he said I could have the Op right this second I would say yes, but I can't get the nerve to call!

Good luck with it, did the lady say you had to do anything or bring anything for the initial consultation? Wonder how long the consultation is?

Think I will try to go to St.Richards, could go to one of the smaller clinics but it is expensive enough and everyone says the staff there are lovely. Also I get a private room anyway and that is all I need.

dont have to do anything for the consultation that I know of but they will be posting me some details before I go there. Only thing I have to bring is my gp details because I couldnt remember them on the phone. It would have been closer for me to go to the hospital in london he works at but I would prefer the cheaper price further away

Well done and good luck with your appointment. I am in the process of trying to get funding at the moment. I was told I didn't qualify as I didn't have diabetes or sleep apnea. My gp is going to appeal the decision as I have a bmi of almost 60.

the money you save on your food bill will pay for the new car in time!!

dont have to do anything for the consultation that I know of but they will be posting me some details before I go there. Only thing I have to bring is my gp details because I couldnt remember them on the phone. It would have been closer for me to go to the hospital in london he works at but I would prefer the cheaper price further away

Oh that is good to know...will have those details with me when I phone.

I could go to London too, probably easier to get there from N.Ireland but the cost put me off and then having to pay for a hotel for me and my mum would have been even more. All adds up....I maybe missed it but do you want a band or bypass?

Back