• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

aaahhh, scared, excited

Matra

Hey there everyone, I've been lurking around this site for a while now & eventually feel brave enough to say a few words.

A little bit about me....I have been overweight since child hood and and now in my early 40's and basically i have had enough of this weight loss / gain roller coaster. I am actually really efficient at loosing weight, i have lost 3 stone more times than i care to remember and a couple of years ago managed to shift 5 stone but unfortunately I am just as efficient at putting it all back on. :mad:

I initially set up a consultation with the surgeon / dietitian with a view to having a band fitted. However after our chat i left very much confused. I hadn't really taken the long term maintenance of the band into consideration and possible issues that can occur. So after copious amounts of research later i believe that the sleeve is the surgery for me.

So surgery is scheduled for the afternoon of 14th January - bring it on :eek:

Welcome, nice to meet you xxx

Thanks Ladies. Seams to be a really friendly and supportive group with an absolute vast of information x

welcome and good luck

Welcome and all the best. We share a surgery date. Different location and type but all the same..... We are together in this journey ;-)

Welcome and good luck x

Welcome and all the best to the new you ;)

Good luck Matra. I had a sleeve 6 months ago so if you have any questions just ask :)

I have one knowing what you know would you do it again?

Definitely without a shadow of a doubt… I couldn't of done it without the sleeve, I am so much more happier and confident now. Don't get me wrong, there has been hard times and sometimes it is frustrating when something tastes so good but you cannot eat much BUT it is so worth it :)

How are you finding the sleeve nearly 1 month post op?

Katy xx

Definitely without a shadow of a doubt… I couldn't of done it without the sleeve, I am so much more happier and confident now. Don't get me wrong, there has been hard times and sometimes it is frustrating when something tastes so good but you cannot eat much BUT it is so worth it :)

How are you finding the sleeve nearly 1 month post op?

Katy xx

I was cancelled almost on my way down. Had a chest infection so I'm now back on the milk diet and go down a week today! I really wish I was a month on but it is what it is :) glad your doing so well. Can't wait to be the other side. Christmas is going to be interesting! :) x

I was cancelled almost on my way down. Had a chest infection so I'm now back on the milk diet and go down a week today! I really wish I was a month on but it is what it is :) glad your doing so well. Can't wait to be the other side. Christmas is going to be interesting! :) x

Oh no, that is such a shame. Hope you are better now. Everything happens for a reason and all that ;)

Christmas will be interesting and tough, but you can do this! You really really can.

If you have any questions or need to chat you can always pm me.

Katy xx

Oh no, that is such a shame. Hope you are better now. Everything happens for a reason and all that ;)

Christmas will be interesting and tough, but you can do this! You really really can.

If you have any questions or need to chat you can always pm me.

Katy xx

Thanks that's great to know! X

Welcome and all the best. We share a surgery date. Different location and type but all the same..... We are together in this journey ;-)

Hi Roccosmummy, it would be great to share this journey with you! I have chosen to not tell many people about the surgery so I suspect that I may turn to this place a lot for advise and moral boosting!!

Do you mind me asking about your band revision?
X

Good luck Matra. I had a sleeve 6 months ago so if you have any questions just ask :)

thank you SleeveGirl - that's very kind of you x

Hi Roccosmummy, it would be great to share this journey with you! I have chosen to not tell many people about the surgery so I suspect that I may turn to this place a lot for advise and moral boosting!! Do you mind me asking about your band revision? X

My story (edited and copied from a previous thread!!)

Life has been an utter roller coaster ride with more downs than I care to remember. Two band slips with the first happening a year out when I'd reached target weight with a 7 stone loss. This went un diagnosed for nearly two years and resulted in an emergency op once my stomach was knitting itself closed. The band was saved and repositioned. My weight then started to go on despite fills and more fills then the sudden need to have unfills. This went on repeatedly for over three years. I used to vomit bile, wake up chocking on my saliva and even chew food but spit it out through fear of swallowing it. Bad times. I'd lose 7 lbs in a couple of weeks but then stop despite badly consuming anything. The thought of another defill was terrifying but necessary and although still restricted the fact I could eat just something resulted in fast weight gain. Never just right like the first Lapband prior to it slipping.

I then met Chris Pring who listened to my struggles and he allowed for my aftercare to be under the NHS. I had all the restriction removed when pregnant then once baby reached 4 months I started to have band fills once again. I joined a boot camp and have worked really hard only to find my weight is still going up and up. I'm now weighing in at more than my original wls start of 17 st.
A few weeks ago I mentioned again that I'm convinced the band was repositioned in the wrong place. Chris sent me for a barium swallow which showed the band is sat at the base of my oesophagus with no stomach pouch above. He said no wonder I felt strangulated with a fill or zero without! All or nothing so to speak!! So, turns out the reposition that was stitched to my diaphragm is actually not in the correct position which I've lived with for 5 years now.

The relief I feel is overwhelming. Finally someone has listened and investigated properly with x-rays rather than just seeing how I do with another fill or unfill.

Revision surgery to remove this lap band and convert to a bypass is on 14th Jan. I cannot wait and feel like I'm starting another new journey. Let's hope this time is a positive one with no more complications.

Thanks for all the good wishes folks - anxious about surgery but actually wish it was tomorrow!! Never mind, at least this should be my last severely obese Christmas!!

My story (edited and copied from a previous thread!!)

Life has been an utter roller coaster ride with more downs than I care to remember. Two band slips with the first happening a year out when I'd reached target weight with a 7 stone loss. This went un diagnosed for nearly two years and resulted in an emergency op once my stomach was knitting itself closed. The band was saved and repositioned. My weight then started to go on despite fills and more fills then the sudden need to have unfills. This went on repeatedly for over three years. I used to vomit bile, wake up chocking on my saliva and even chew food but spit it out through fear of swallowing it. Bad times. I'd lose 7 lbs in a couple of weeks but then stop despite badly consuming anything. The thought of another defill was terrifying but necessary and although still restricted the fact I could eat just something resulted in fast weight gain. Never just right like the first Lapband prior to it slipping.

I then met Chris Pring who listened to my struggles and he allowed for my aftercare to be under the NHS. I had all the restriction removed when pregnant then once baby reached 4 months I started to have band fills once again. I joined a boot camp and have worked really hard only to find my weight is still going up and up. I'm now weighing in at more than my original wls start of 17 st.
A few weeks ago I mentioned again that I'm convinced the band was repositioned in the wrong place. Chris sent me for a barium swallow which showed the band is sat at the base of my oesophagus with no stomach pouch above. He said no wonder I felt strangulated with a fill or zero without! All or nothing so to speak!! So, turns out the reposition that was stitched to my diaphragm is actually not in the correct position which I've lived with for 5 years now.

The relief I feel is overwhelming. Finally someone has listened and investigated properly with x-rays rather than just seeing how I do with another fill or unfill.

Revision surgery to remove this lap band and convert to a bypass is on 14th Jan. I cannot wait and feel like I'm starting another new journey. Let's hope this time is a positive one with no more complications.

Good god - having a hellish time of it is an absolute understatement. I can't begin to imagine what you have gone thru. Like you have said the sense of relief now that someone has listened to you must be immense.

Onwards and 'down'wards for 2014!!

Oh and your story helps me compound my choice of surgery - thank you for sharing it with me x

Back