• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Adjustable gastric balloon...

Hi!!

Just wondering if anyone has had the adjustable gastric balloon that stays in for 12 months? If so, where did u get it done, which surgeon, how much weight did u lose and (sorry) what did it cost?
I'm still considering all my options. I'm from N. Ireland, so if anyone from our wee country's had it done, would especially love to hear from u!
Ta muchly,
Tandy. Xo

hi, tandy did u manage to find out any other information? i am also interested in this i have looked on lots of websites and none of them have a cost. i am interested in the spatz 12month one,however there is a 6month one called orbera i think? any more info on cost, weight loss, food consumption during etc? would be so grateful x

I had gastric balloon and I cannot say that I would recommend it. I had some restriction for about 6 weeks then I could eat normally.

Hi needtolosefourstone! Nucleus healthcare (I think that's wot it's called) do it in Wales. It's a day procedure - done in around an hour, out the same day. They also do finance options..... It stays in for 12 months. After six months, it's adjusted so u still feel full & continue to lose weight & learn new eating patterns. I would love to get it done BUT holding back coz I don't trust myself to keep the weight off - maybe I need a permanent solution, so I'm considering the sleeve. I lost 5 stone before and have regained the lot. :( hope this helps, and good luck! Xo

hi tandydadder!! thanks fro info i really think the balloon is a good idea for me as i know what its like to slim its theb est thing in the world and i put 4 stone on whislt being pregnant plus another 2 since (son is now 3) i know i can control my eating especially bwing slim and having my grogeous mates n sister around me to help me i ust need that kick start like the balloon. am not keen on the band i just dont think its the right option for me. plus i know in my mind i havent got a psychological problem with food i dont comfort eat etc i just ate too much and continue too. i know i can stop i just need that helping hand and i think the balloon may be good for me.so did you have the balloon? sorry to hear that you have put the weight back on, have you had any other surgery? do you know the cost of the12 month spatz balloon? i got a quote from healthier weight in london which is closer to me as i live in luton and for the 6 month one its £4000 with an avergae weight loss of 2-3stone, and 12 month one £5000 with an average loss of 5stone whch is what i need!!xx

sorry have re-read your post and seen that you havent had the balloon inserted yet sorry! so how did u lose the 5 stone its such a struggle to lose weight isnt it! why cant we just all be slim ay xx

I lost the five stone following lighter life. However, I lost it very quickly - 4 months - and my liver protested bigtime! Ended up with a severe case of cholestasis, pancreatitis, & a 3 month hospital stay! Had to have abdominal surgery and got my gallbladder out too. The long hospital stay + surgery + stodgy food, minus any exercise (too sore to move) caused me to regain the whole out. Regaining the weight was very damaging psychologically, which is why I'm trying to resist diets until I have a safety net to ensure it stays off this time. Have very low opinion of lighter life as a consequence, but at least the experience reminded me how good being slim feels. Xo

omg well i have tried lighter life and cambridge but they are both horrible! im a fussy eater so only had the shakes and the bars were rank! thats crazy that you had such horrible side effects you should sue and get your money back as they didnt clarly state the side effects and if your doctor can agree that it was a definate side effect of your diet then maybe you could have a good case? loss of earning, pyschological damage are all good means for damages!! sounds like you had an awful time, glad you are feeling better now though i know how awful a hospital stay can be i have also had to endure 10weeks in hospital after an appendix operation that went well ended up having a huge abssess and my wound literally burst open to get rid of it! crazy things the body can do, learnt a lot about the body whilst in hospital, anyway i digress!! xx

I lost the five stone following lighter life. However, I lost it very quickly - 4 months - and my liver protested bigtime! Ended up with a severe case of cholestasis, pancreatitis, & a 3 month hospital stay! Had to have abdominal surgery and got my gallbladder out too. The long hospital stay + surgery + stodgy food, minus any exercise (too sore to move) caused me to regain the whole out. Regaining the weight was very damaging psychologically, which is why I'm trying to resist diets until I have a safety net to ensure it stays off this time. Have very low opinion of lighter life as a consequence, but at least the experience reminded me how good being slim feels. Xo

I lost 8 stones via lighter life about 2.5 yrs ago, however I did put 7 stones of it back on!
I also had a gastric balloon inserted, which totally did not work for me - didn't lose any weight in fact I put a bit on and was chastised by the Consultant when I went to have it removed...for ruining his research :mad:

I had the 6 month balloon.
All is well now as had bypass surgery 3 weeks ago - Wish I had had surgery rather than the balloon at the time, as have spent a fortune!!

i have now done a huge amount of research into the balloons and it seems that the 6 month has quite a few limitations, firstly its not adjustable so once it is in place it cant be refilled once a platuea is reached. and after reading posts of ballooners they seem to platuea at around the 3-4months stage and then not losing much after, however the weightloss of these posts say that they have lost around 2-3stones in this time which is the recommended weight loss for the 6 month balloon.

There is a new 12month spatz balloon, it is adjustable which means the baloon can be re-filled (included in price) at any time to kickstart weight loss if a platuea is reached (normally around 5/6 months) the weight loss is more progressive and the target is around 5/6stones in the year.

The price is £4950 at Nucleus Healthcare in Newport Wales and also £4999 at Healthier weight in London. only two places in uk that do the 12month one as its relatively new on the "market".

They both have fincnace plans although Nucleus Healthcare is interest free and over 1,2 or 3 years.; whereas healthier weight addd about £300 to the price then say you pay half before procedure and then remaining in 4/5montly installments of about £400.

The nucleus one suits me as its £130 a month for 3 years which is very affordable.
hope this helps anyone that needs info as its quite limited online. xx

hi nurse julie, why didnt it work for you? did the consultant giv you any reason why?sorry to hear you had a rought time. good luck on your bypass journey xx

Back