• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Adult Social Services... boooo

Hollyhunny

5 years of waiting
Has anyone had any involvement with adult soc svcs as a result of their weight problem and the difficulties we deal with ie: family life,functioning in the community etc..

I had soc svs come into my home for an assessment in aug. They did a case meeting with my medical providers in oct, and i have heard nothing since, I called yest and today to find out I have been dropped, soc svcs is telling me they left it with my medical team and my med team is asking me what is soc svcs intending to do for me!
They seem to think my problems will magically disappear with WLS, yes they may improve, but I am on the never ending waiting list.

My last recent visit was to the PLastics team in Swansea. pj DREW, He says he can help but not without telling me in NO uncertain terms, that this apronectomy may kill me,, and that i have at least a 30% of suffering complications and major blood loss, oh yea and he wants me to consult with the bariatric surgeon,johnathan barry, not sure why,then meet with the anesthesiologist, how long the waiting list is or when this will happen, i dont know,although he did say NOT before Christmas..

Sorry hun i was so confused as to what you are waiting for the gastric surgery or plastic surgery and how we can help you ???????

No, Sorry not had any involvement with social services.
Why would you be looking at an apronectomy before wls? Confused x

Hi Holly,

No, Ive never heard of social services becoming involved with anyone due to their weight problems.

I'm also confused like the others, is it gastric bypass or apronectomy you are waiting for?

i think iknow what you mean
were you involved with social services
befor your thinking about getting your opp

your profile suggest you havent??

i also like the others am not sure why you would want plastic surgery befor??

i would steer clear of that surgeonanyway
he dosent sound very nice scaring you like that.

post back as this is a very supportive site
and people on here are genuine
what ever you choose i do hope it all works
out for you good luck. xxx

thank you, thank you

I am so glad to see I am being heard.
As far as my confusing post, I just assumed everyone would know what I was talking about.
sorry..
I have been on this rollercoaster of getting funding,being denied,appealing,getting a date,then being sent away by the surgeon because I need an apronectomy first.

So, to get you all updated,I was last here telling you about my precious surgery date Feb 1,this year for a bypass. The surgeon sees me and states because of my large tummy she was not able to do the surgery. She said she would not be able to gain access to the tummy and sent me away to see plastics for an apronectomy. After being denied,then appealing,I was given funding. and this from the Welsh Assembly. During the past 11 months my general health and more importantly my mental health has really gone downhill. I feel and look like the fattest most disgusting person in the world and that is on a good day. I am constantly mocked and ridiculed by strangers and even the students on my childrens' school bus, I walk them to the bus stop and then have an even further walk to pick them up. I have great difficulty in leaving my home not only physically but emotionally because I know what's waiting out there for me.. So I took the steps myself to call adult soc svcs to see if there were any clubs or support groups or something for me to get involved with to get myself some help. They held a case meeting with my weight loss team,nothing to do with the wls team, they thought the reenablement team might help, ie . taking my children,8,4 years old on outings occasionally and having a carer visit me at my home and we go for a walk round the block or helping me prepare a healthy family meal,helping me to judge portion sizes. well that meeting uncovered nothing and I was struck off the list as not needing any help.
the soc svcs telling me to go ask my weight loss team for their help and my weight loss team saying ask soc svcs for help.. how confusing and humiliating,, do you know how hard it is to ask someone for help? of course you do, you feel at the bottom, no self esteem, no self confidence, and they dismiss you,again, you don't count, you're worthless.
So I have decided to trust in myself,everything happens for a reason.
I will just have to help myself

Aw sorry I'm not much help hun as not been in this situation or no any1 who has but I'd like to wish u all the luck in the world on ur journey n hoe they help u xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Hollyhunny, from what you have said you seem to be at a similar weight to me. I seem to be quite lucky as am more mobile than you but can I suggest you speak to your GP? He may be able to refer you to some counselling etc or put extra help in place.

Yve

Back