• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 week away from seeing surgeon

Hey Brett, just wanted to say goodluck for tomorrow.
I found out a couple of days ago that I too have an appt to see surgeon tomorrow at 10am, Im bricking it! lol

Havent a clue what he's gonna say or what im gonna say for that matter, my mind has gone blank since I found out about appt..lol

Fingers crossed that we both hear what we wanna hear tomorrow x

good luck Brett if they have the ok on funding and you have your sleep test you should be in with a very good chance stay positive, i think they just want to know that you will not sabotage the post op diet by doing anything daft like one person i heard about that managed to eat small bits of chocolate all day and consequently her weight is creeping up again , where you having it done Brett?? I am at the whittington...

good luck Brett if they have the ok on funding and you have your sleep test you should be in with a very good chance stay positive, i think they just want to know that you will not sabotage the post op diet by doing anything daft like one person i heard about that managed to eat small bits of chocolate all day and consequently her weight is creeping up again , where you having it done Brett?? I am at the whittington...

hi hun im also at whittington .. seeing dr heath in the morning i have my funding and i have had one appointment already .. and i have spoken to surgeon via email up till now .. so i know im having bypass .... so this will be my first meet with him tomorrow so dunno what he is going to say or ask ...

Hey Brett

Im in Leeds. I originally wanted the band but because of my eating habits etc.. the dietician said that the surgeon had recommended a bypass. She said I would get to speak to him about it at the appt, but to be honest I agree with them and think that its the best option for me. I was just a bit scared of the actual operation with the bypass, it seemed so scarey but I looked into it more and now im comfortable with it.

Im nhs...its took nearly 10 months to get this far, so fingers crossed, hopefully not too much longer! lol.x

ahhh ok i c ..... yea some people have been on it for a long time before getting there .... i see my self as being very lucky as i have only been on this since oct 08 ... altho i did go through it all over 7 yrs ago and waited 2 yrs on list to not get it ... after the doctor never got his funding for anyone ...

so i have been at it for a long time overall i feel lucky that this time i have got things done quicker ..

i knew i wanted the bypass as i wanted it for life i dont think i have will power of what some of the people have going for the band . plus i love choc and i dont eat big meals .. plus i want to lose a lot of weight quick ...

im having lap surgery not open thankfully .. i am worried about skin issues later .. but one thing at a time .. i just want to get this over with so i can get on with my life .....

good luck brett

Hi Brett I am nhs at the Whittington Mr Sufi is doing mine.... the team is great ....did you go for the information half day it was really informative. I am based in N.W London so not too far away from the Whit. I got my pre op assessment on 23rd march so will let you know about the liver shrinking diet they use there ... not a chocolate button in sight lol I hear Mr Heath is away during most of April on holiday . When i first saw Mr Sufi he arrange a whole barage of tests feel like i have had an MOT physical and psychological I must say they are very thorough!! On the blurb on the website they seem to have a plastic surgeon!!! i have not asked if they do any follow up surgery on patients for loose skin... i should imagine you need further funding but as you said first things first Brett we are going to become real looooooooooooooooosers yeiiiiiii

so when was ur first appointment with surgeon ? how long ago was that ? and what did he request of you from that appointment ..

i have been told Mr Sufi is all by the book and he does put u through the mill and checks every single thing .. but Mr heath suppose to have a bit more of laid back approach ?? i dunno but we will see ..

i don't have any health issues .. bp perfect heart no problem .. no diabetic problems .. breathing is fine .. don't think i have sleep issues.. and i worked a mental health nurse for many years .. so don't think i need and mental work lol ..... and when i went to the 3 hr appointment with Kirsten i was told i knew more about this than anyone else that had been there before and they where very pleased and they had been talking about me after the meet ...

and was told i did not need to go to group meets cause i knew everything ..

also there was a mention in that session that they do not do plastics on nhs ..... how ever u have to fight for it im told and if u have a good enough fight u will get it ..... but its not 100% that nhs will give it to u

sorry Brett forgot to say i am having a bypass as like you i want a permanent solution and to be honest it seems you are more likely to get funding for bypass than band as the follow up care is not so intensely hospital based i,e no top up of bands etc., for me also teh band would not guarantee enough weight loss so could still be potentially obese so no choice although some friends are really worried, but the bigger risk is doing nothing.... like you want my life back want to be able to go for a walk without thinking about the pain. reduce my hbp.....and of course slipping into a size 14 or 12 would be heaven lol but primarily health reasons.. as i have got away with it up to now but feel my time is running out unless i start to loose weight....cant wait to hear about your meeting with Mr Heath so good luck i am sure he will just be telling you when he can do you have you had sleep test yet??

no haven't had sleep test done as yet ... but i am seeing a team tomorrow also that are studying fat .. and they are running 2 hrs tests on me tomorrow to start with .. and will be following me in my process as they want a fat donation when i have my op .. so maybe they will be doing more kinda tests on me that Mr heath will require of me anyway .. so might make my waiting time shorter ..

ah ok well first saw him in September i think lol gawd its been a long year lol and he arranged for everything under the stars, heart , sleep, psych ..the reasons for the psych was because i said that when i got out for dinner i will sometime have a desert even though i know i am full if everyone else is having some (thought most people did that lol) lol so he said hmmm potential compulsive eat lol but the psych did not find that pattern for me so just had one assessment meeting at st anns . so all my other test came back ok still got hpb but even more reason to get a bloody move on lol Mr Sufi is very professional and thorough and i feel very safe and i also hear Mr heath is great too and the team so supportive.

oo thats good so not heard about this fat study how interesting and helpful if it is genetic to help future members of the family etc.,

7 months from then till ur op ... bloody hell i hope i dont have to wait that long i will go insane .............. as i have been told by kirsten everyone goes down diff path .. and as i dont have health issues it could be quicker .. and i have my funing already so dont have to wait on that ...

but i guess time will tell

my time was due to the very veryu long wait to get appointment at st ann's as they do the psych assessment for 5 trusts i think.....the other appointments came through quite quickly i think you will be ok your only problem might be Mr Heaths holiday lol you could offer to go with him lol or maybe Mr Sufi might do you as it seems to make no difference who sees you ion clinic according to the pre op assessment clerk....wouldn't it be great if they brought you in at the same time as me be good to see a familar face lol

ahh thats good to know put my mind at ease now .. i just said to my other half u dare mention any mental health issues tomorrow and i will kill you lololol ..........

when i seen endocrinologist i spent over a hr with him and he said to me at the end of the meet .. that he could tell i had no issues with mental health that i was very wise and articulate and knew what i was talking about ... so fingers crossed .. how ever i do get on the phone and call till i get what i want .. and Kirsten has been fab she has done loads for me the bariatric nurse there at the whittington she has loads of time for people and is so so helpful .. i have found process nice and relaxed with them and i even got a tex message to let me know about my appointments how cool lol ....

yea and defo would be nice to be there when i knew someone there .. as i have no family here to visit me .. only my other half who does not drive and will be getting the tube and bus and dlr every day twice a day 10 diff kinds of buses trains ect to get to me lol ...

yes better make sure the other half bound and gagged lol to be honest i decided not to take my other half as i know he is worried enough as it is!!!!!!! so i went on my own as like you not afraid to ask questions or tell them what they need to hear...no seriously i have no issues that i have not known for a long time i eat more than my body needs so this op will help me keep the weight off as loosing it is only half the battle over the years i have lost and gained = small people... and decided no more i dont care that i will now have to be careful for the rest of my life about what i eat ... just want to live....

Back