• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice for a newbie

Nilo

Minimins Addict
Apologies if this is in the wrong section.
I have an appointment with my GP next week and i'm going to ask for funding for WLS. My BMI is over 50, i've tried everything to lose weight from vlcd to ww, slimming world, even orlistat. I have depression so concentrating on a diet is a struggle and i usually end up putting everything i've lost back on plus a couple of stone. My asthma is now out of control and i'm struggling to walk. So I guess this is my last resort. I was just wondering, if you guys think i have a good case? I'm from portsmouth and not sure of the pct policies but i'm hoping that because of the severity of my weight that my dr will agree. I've done alot of research and think the a gastric bypass would be the best option for me, but i'd take what ever was offered to me. Anyway sorry for going on, any advice would be great,

hi n welcome. you have come to the right place we are all (mostly) yo yo dieters and always put on more than we lose, i prefared a bypass as i didnt want to be botherd with fills etc, and i felt it would be to easy to cheat with band and as im a comfort eater the bypass was best for me. ive had one or two probs since my op , nothing majour just little things, and i can honestly say its the best thing ive ever done. my only regret is that i didnt manage to get it done a long time ago. good lucl on your journey.....................kath x

Hi and welcome. This is a great place to be for any advice and encouragement. I think you do have a good case, try and look on your local pct for their criteria. Even if you don't have their desired criteria you can go to the exceptional cases panel. It was this route that I have finally managed to get my funding. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Yup, you deffo have a good case for WLS, the funding is decided on by the medical board, once your GP Recommends you for the surgery, and when you finally get to see your consultant, then he will discuss all your options, and which surgery he feels is best for you. I warn you though, patience is needed, as it can be a long process. :)

Thanks for all the responses, I've had a look at some of the links here and found out that you need a bmi of over 60 or serious health issues, I don't really have any health issues other then depression, i'll go and chat with him and see what they say but its not looking hopefull.

Don't give up hope. Have you had a sleep study done you may have undiagnosed sleep apneoa. I was discovered to have it and hadn't realised I had it.

Back