• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice need re Treadmill please

Miss Tickle

Hiya,
Can some knowledeable people please advise me.
I'm trying to buy an inexpensive treadmill and am currently watching few on ebay. Unfortunately those that say a maximum user weight say 100kg! Both DH and me are WAY over 100kgs. Surely we're not the only big people wanting to use this sort of equipment. If we used one would a loud siren go off and the fat police arrive at the door-or worse, would it actually break? I can't afford to waste my money but really need one. I walk outside but need to work up a sweat in the privacy of my own home.

That's the only bad thing against these things, it makes no sense.

You're big, you need equipment, but you can't buy the equipment as the one for your weight is too expensive. This is how the cheaper manufacturers get away with it. They build exercise machines but with cheaper components to keep their price down, but put a weight limit on. I dare say it wouldn't break, but it will wear out quickly.

I've even seen weight limits as low as 15st!!

Unfortunately you do have to pay more or find a bargain.

We have a treadmill, which we use when we can't get outside to walk because the weather is horrible (i.e. most of the time :cool: ).
It's a Reebok one, which has since been superceded by a newer model. It was expensive, I'm afraid, as we found that the cheaper ones weren't suitable. I'm afraid that the heavier the user, the more strain on the motor running the band, the stronger the running board needs to be and the more robust the band needs to be.

I'm not sure a cheap one would be a good investment. Try looking at the ones that were more expensive initially, if you are buying second hand.

Another thing to think about is: ours is so heavy it took 4 builders to lift it into the house and position it for me! ;)

Good luck!

Thanks Mixy & Ravelling-it is a conundrum isn't it? A lot of the ads I've seen don't even have a user weight listed so I'm finding it a bit of a worry. Even the exersize bikes, cross trainers and gym balls seem to have a weight on them that is much lower than mine. Mind you since I put on these last couple os stone I'm worried to go on my push bike in case it collapses under my weight .
I'll look in the paper for ones that started off expensive.

Back