• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

advice needed

sparky42

I wonder if anyone could advise me, I had a band fitted in April 09 I had to fly from belfast to birmingham and had my band fitted privately, I had no problems with my band and did everything by the book, I lost 7 stone, however i became unwell nov and was rushed to emergency theatre with erosion and severe infection of band i had to have the band removed, I spent 2 weeks 2 days in hospital and now have open abdominal wound, I was wondering if any of you guys knew anyone who has had this problem and did they get their band replaced, i have read some medical journals and it is possible to have the band replaced but im not sure if the orginal place of surgery will peplace this band i could not afford another op as im still paying original loan, i have contacted them but all they have asked me to do is put a letter into their complaints dept. I dont know who i could contact for help any advice would be really appreciated.
Julie x

Hi Julie, sounds like you have had a horrid time of it. I am sorry I can't help but didn't want to read and run. It is quite late, so you may get your reply from banders tomorrow. I know from reading there are ones that have had problems, although I am not sure what exactly.
I hope you are feeling better now, and that you do get sorted soon. You did so well with your weight loss when your band was working. Trisha

Hi Julie - i am in N.Ireland too and was flown over to Birmingham for a gastric bypass a few weeks ago. When I was there I met another woman from here who had problems with the port site of her band. She had originally gone private but was getting it fixed in heartlands, birmingham. I think her GP had referred her as she couldnt afford to go private.

Hi tink, I think because my band has been removed I dont have a case with GP, as you know its a struggle for many overweight people to get NHS funding in N Ireland, I feel my orginal provider should be responsible, but I never thought to check out at the start what would happen if I had to have band removed due to erosion Etc I am so afraid of putting weight back on i can feel myself slowly slipping, tho thankfully weight as stayd the same, good luck with your weight loss.
Julie x

Sorry to here about this, its a awful thing to have happen to you, and so worrying too. Not sure on what you need to do next lovey but i hope you get something sorted. xxxx

Back