• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any banders that have changed to a Bypass out there?

Mynewlife

Hiya members
is there anyone out there that originally had the band fitted and then went on to have the bypass? I know I am early days, as I only had my band fitted in July:eek:,but sometimes wish I;d gone with the bypass. Do you have to be heavier to have the bypass? My original bmi was 42.5, and now down to 37.5 with the weight loss I have had with the band, currently 2 stone 7 pounds. But I have a real fear that I am not going to be successfull long term, and feel I will be one of "those failures". When I was looking to have the band fitted, I was told that 33 1/3% do well, 33 1/3% fail and 33 1/3% do ok, but not lose as much weight as they would like to. I am feeling that as much as I try, and maybe I am trying to hard and expecting too much too soon, I am going to be in the percentage that fails, or doesn;t reach their goal. It is depressing, and I am trying to remain positive. My weight lately is yo-yoing, which I honestly did not expect to happen once I had had the band fitted, Can any sage banders, or bypassers offer any advice? How long does it take to adjust to the band?
HELP :wave_cry::wave_cry::wave_cry:

thanks MyNewLife

the band and the bypass are only aids to weighloss i have read of bypassers that have dropped weight then regained it all there is no magic cure hun i only wish there was , i dont know if there is a min bmi for bypass but they seem to recommend it for the higher bmi'ers . try to think of your life is now with a band take each day as it comes life has ups an downs as does weight dont beat yourself up you have done really well so far xx

My BMI is 36 and I have co morbidities. My surgeon asked what I wanted and I told him the bypass after discussing my eating habits with him etc he agreed that I would be suitable for this. I have to say that when I started this journey I wanted the band but I did a lot of research and read everything I possibly could. The consultant I saw said that he gets a fair few people wishing they had had the bypass when they have had the band and it was because of this I went away and researched more. It is very early days for you really you only had the band in in july and its is only a tool to help not a magic wand. Maybe you should discuss how you feel with a dietician and see what they recommend. Good luck and keep on at it, dont think your a failure your only just getting used to it. Maybe more restriction is required....xx

hi have you had any fills yet ? as it can take alot of fine tuning with fills b4 the correct level of food restriction is felt. the band is a very slow process for weight loss and is as serenity & charlie said its only an aid that we have to work hard with, what kinds of foods are you eating at this stage ? and what are your portion sizes ? the desired effect of what the band offers is there if you want it enough, if you work with your band the band will work with you.

regarding the band to bypass op that is only offered as a very last resort to people thats health is still at major risk after having a band for many years, when i had my 1st band removed in august, i asked to be converted to a by pass as a long term solution, but they refused as my bmi was way to low and they said it would be unhealthy for me after being used to a band for 3 years previous.

best wishes and good luck
liz xx

hi Liz & Lovebug and all the other responders so far. I have had two band fills to date. The first fill was 1.5mils on September 12th, the second fill was 1 mil on September 29th. I always thought my bmi and weight was too low for the bypass, and I researched both options and felt at the time that the bypass was too drastic for me. I went for two independent consultations and met with a dietician who felt that I was too small for the bypass. I think it just going to take some time to adjust. I spoke to a nurse, who has also had the band fitted and she said that she was still learning to live with the band and learning to listen to it, and she had it done 3 1/2 years ago. I am just going to have to stop trying to force the weight loss and look at the long term goals, and focus on not just the weight loss but how I feel in myself, how my clothes fit and my measurements. I don;t think I need another fill at this point because I still have restriction ;);). I am eating much less than I used to, and normally eat off of a side plate versus a dinner plate, I also use a smaller bowl. I also only eat one weetabix now and before surgery used to have two. The only problem with the band is you can still eat the wrong things, like chocolate, and it doesn't affect you like it can when you have the bypass. I feel much better today, and refocused so I am motivated to move on. I was just having a bad spell and feeling low, but am over it now. Thanks to you all for the support and encouragement. Onward and upward, and off with the weight eh? :bliss:

mnl

Hi mnl,

Just thought I would tell you about the lady whos company performed my bypass. She had the band fitted and lost a huge amount of weight but found it impossible to loose the last three stone, so she had a part bypass. This entailed leaving the band in as she was getting the restriction she required, but had her intestines rewired so to speak, so she was not gettting full absorbsion from her food. I belive, but dont hold me to this that the surgeon did not remove as much intestine as is removed when a bypass is performed. She has gone on to loose all the excess weight and has maintained for a long time.

If you read the nice guidlines then you did fall within them for the bypass to be performed, but as others have said on here, none of these ops are a magic way to loose weight they all require discipline, but I will say that yes the bypass is a more guarnteed way to loose weight.

hi hun,

I havent yet had the op, but was all for the gastric band, until i saw my consultant.
He said he wouldnt even put a band on any of his family, and recommended me for the bypass, my bmi is 40.5 must of been having a good day as it was 41.5 few weeks beforehand.
So now im just on the waiting list for the bypass xxx

hope everything works out xx

Hi Debi, i originally requested the band but after meeting with the surgeon and discussing my health issues and eating habits he felt the bypass was the best option for me. don't regret my decision but you have to do what you feel is right for you. either option will aid weight loss but you have to work at either or otherwsie you can regain weight. good luck with making your decision and keep us posted xx

Back