• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice Please - Considering VSG

ovalwhiskers

Hi guys. I first considered booking an appointment to have a VSG (private) back in 2011 when I was 16stone. I chickened out and thought I could do it myself and joined slimming world where i did lose a stone. Since then however I have ballooned up to 18st 11lb which is just unacceptable. I'm so unhappy but not sure I can do it myself. Despite not having enough money (I would get a loan) I'm now considering vsg again. I'm not so worried about the operation or the initial post op period but more worried about along the line 2/3/4 years down.

Could any VSG'ers tell me if they regret their ops or would you do it again in a heartbeat? do you have a good quality of life? I don't even care about what weight i get down to. I just want to feel healthy!

Many thanks for any help guys.

xox

Hi guys. I first considered booking an appointment to have a VSG (private) back in 2011 when I was 16stone. I chickened out and thought I could do it myself and joined slimming world where i did lose a stone. Since then however I have ballooned up to 18st 11lb which is just unacceptable. I'm so unhappy but not sure I can do it myself. Despite not having enough money (I would get a loan) I'm now considering vsg again. I'm not so worried about the operation or the initial post op period but more worried about along the line 2/3/4 years down.

Could any VSG'ers tell me if they regret their ops or would you do it again in a heartbeat? do you have a good quality of life? I don't even care about what weight i get down to. I just want to feel healthy!

Many thanks for any help guys.

xox
I had the sleeve op four months ago now. I first considered wls four years ago and lost some weight myself only to put it all back on and more and just couldn't face another disappointment of losing and gaining, so went to THG for a consultation and booked and had op all within four weeks. Haven't looked back yet and have hadn't had any problems. There are a few old hands come and post on here occasionally and they may give you in site into their thoughts a few years down the line.

Hi ovalwhiskers, I am almost 11 months post sleeve and don't regret it for a minute! I have lost 6st 10lb, still want to lose 3st its just getting stubborn now and not shifting. However I feel 10 times better than I did, my blood pressure is down. I would recommend it x

Hi ovalwhiskers
My story exactly mirrors yours although substitute lighter life for slimming world lol
I'm back heavier than when I started!
I had an appt to meet the surgeon at THG in Leeds last Thursday. Booked my VSG there and then for 29 April.
For me, it deffo the right thing :) good luck with your decision xxx

It has taken me 4 years to decide on sleeve surgery. I know it's the right time for me after many failed diets over the years and having diabetes, this surgery will definitely improve that. I wish you luck in deciding what you do. M x

I'm only 5mths out but feel so much healthier already and don't regret it for a minute. You need to get your head around a new lifestyle and at first it's pretty tough. Exhaustion, cold, liquid then purees, yuck. However that's the worst bit and it's done and dusted within 6-8 weeks.

Honestly my energy levels are normal again most days now and I eat a varied range, moderation is key and for the first time in my life my body is easily sated and this makes moderation so much easier to stick to.

I've lost 5 stone so far so I'm over the moon with that and I'm looking forward to continuing that journey out of obesity. I'd love to become merely overweight ;)

I'm only 5mths out but feel so much healthier already and don't regret it for a minute. You need to get your head around a new lifestyle and at first it's pretty tough. Exhaustion, cold, liquid then purees, yuck. However that's the worst bit and it's done and dusted within 6-8 weeks.

Honestly my energy levels are normal again most days now and I eat a varied range, moderation is key and for the first time in my life my body is easily sated and this makes moderation so much easier to stick to.

I've lost 5 stone so far so I'm over the moon with that and I'm looking forward to continuing that journey out of obesity. I'd love to become merely overweight ;)

Wow!! That's an amazing weightloss in 5 months! Well done you :) when you say pretty tough, can you tell me warts and all how bad you actually felt? I feel I can prepare mentally if I know what to expect. Thanks Louise x

I've spoken to people who never had a moment's problem after surgery. First couple of days were painful but as I was in hospital I was well medicated. Once I got home I didn't need to take any more painkillers. I found the low energy levels hard, I have three kids and took 6 weeks off work.

That's the warts and all version really. Mentally it's a tough adjustment but it is such a short time to feel that way for most people that it is really worth it.

I'm almost 11 month out and have never regretted having had my sleeve.
First days post op have been hard but I hardly remember them now.
I've lost more than 50 kgs and I'm really really healthier and happier!

Hi guys
I had my surgery on Saturday morning prob not the best time to update you, but I have to tell you, post op is slightly more grim than I expected, sickness being the worst of it, wretching on a new tummy is painful and frightening. Pain in the stomach isn't as bad as I expected, but tiredness and lack of food is making me feel very teary, all to be expected. Will update again in a couple if days x

Hi guys
I had my surgery on Saturday morning prob not the best time to update you, but I have to tell you, post op is slightly more grim than I expected, sickness being the worst of it, wretching on a new tummy is painful and frightening. Pain in the stomach isn't as bad as I expected, but tiredness and lack of food is making me feel very teary, all to be expected. Will update again in a couple if days x

Congrats, Adrienne.
No fear...it will all be over in no time.
First days and liquid stage are hard but it's worth it!

I was lucky and was on my feet the same day. I don't suffer anesthesiaso I felt fine. No pain, no wind either.
Please consider that VSG is major surgery and that our bodies react in different ways but be assured that you will really be on your feet and well in a few days.
xx

I came home yesterday
Had injection fir anti sickness which didn't work and two anti sick tablets none worked, it's not as bad as it was thankfully

I came home yesterday
Had injection fir anti sickness which didn't work and two anti sick tablets none worked, it's not as bad as it was thankfully

Hi adrienne, I won't lie, the first week for me was pretty grim as well. Nothing would stay down and any exertion (showering, short walks) would make me wretch/dizzy........BUT l'm 11 weeks out and the early days are all but a distant memory (oh and I'm a kick in the teeth away from a 5 stone loss (1 from pre op and 4 since op). No regrets at all :)

Feel better soon love, it will pass soon x

Thank you for responding
At what point did you feel comfortable to lie diwn? I'm propped up on pillows at the mo xx

I was always more comfortable on my side (pre and post) I also found the wind pain better if I was on my side. I did prop my tummy up with a pillow for perhaps 2 or 3 weeks, not because my tummy was sore it just felt better supporting it.

Back