• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dairy free diet ideas please

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Right, after my tummy problems this week I am making this weekend dairy free. I dont think its a lactose intolerance but I want to eliminate it as a possibility, so Im going to have no dairy all weekend and if my poorly tummy clears up I will try dairy again for a couple of days and if it comes back then I will know what it is.
I would like some advice on what kind of things to have as my meals. Im thinking eggs for breakfast, maybe some dry griddling bacon. Maybe some chicken or fish for the other two meals and no milk in any drinks.
Any other good ideas?
Thanks in advance xx
Steph xx

you could have porridge made with water hun not milk x yoghurt or fruit for breakky ............

Mmmm yes, porridge with water with a little a few raisins, good plan xx
Yoghurt is dairy though so as busting as I am for one (have been for days) Ill not have that.
Thanks chick xx
Steph xx

I had a problem with dairy before my op.
Since my op things have been fine, though it could be due to the iron tabs reversing what the milk use to do lol.

There are a number of Lactose free products available. Milk, cheese and yoghurts from most supermarket.

of course sorry hun was not thinking
what about grapefruit or poach egg on toast

alpen bar

Thanks guys xx
Ive started my dairy free day today, I truly dont think its anything other than a tummy bug as a good few people around me have been poorly, just none of them have been as poorly as me or for as long, but Im willing to try anything right now lol
None of the pills worked last night and I am dehydrated today, so no pills today (no point if they arent going to work) but LOTS of fluids (water) and hubby has gone to get some provisions and is getting me diet lemonade which I will flatten and drink, a few people have suggested this now so Im going to try it.
Hubby was in the room this morning when I had the runs and he was astounded at just how violent and fluid it was.
So yep, not great today but the aim is to drink constantly and just take very good care of myself, hubby said Im looking really tired and a little 'drawn', so I have to take better care of myself.
I will be heartbroken if I cant have dairy any more, I adore all things dairy, I adore a glass of milk, a good cheese and a nice yoghurt, so I would be gutted.
Ah well eh, lets just hope it all stops soon.
Thanks for the advice xx
Steph xx

Stephanie,

Jusr read your post. You would need to give your system a complete rest of all dairy products for about three weeks then challenge with a dairy product like milk. it does take a while to get it out of your system. Hopefully its just a bug. As for ideas - just google dairy free diet sheet and you will get lots of hits.
Good Luck x

Both of my twin daughters are allergic to dairy and there are loads of options out there. My girls drink oat milk, have swedish glace (dairy free ice cream), dairy free chocolate and the like. Alpro Soya yoghurts are lovely and dairy free. They also sell dairy free rice based cheese which is lovely.

Here are some resources I use often:

Go Dairy Free - Recipes

Dairy-Free Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Have a look on the lactofree website as well for hints and tips. Check labels, you would be suprised what contains milk powder etc! Don't forget butter, you can get pure dairy free spread which is ok.

Or. You can save time and money and ask the GP to do a reducing substrates test, although possibly not while you are having the runs, as it is a stool test! This checks for lactose in your stools, which shows its not being broken down and therefore an intolerance is happening. You need to be eating dairy when you have it done though otherwise nothing would show obviously.

I have had dairy free periods when my IBS is bad (its a major trigger for me) and also Charlie has a milk protein allergy so if I can help in any way just shout.

Back