• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gladys Friday

Hello

What age were you when you had the sleeve surgery.

I really want to have the sleeve but not sure if my age will go against me. I am looking at going abroad. I am 54 and have a bmi of 57 and am around 23 stone.

Debbie

hi Gladys
im 47 and on 18th sept im due to have a bypass/sleeve done so I don't think age is any barrier
its just taken this time for me to realise I needed it and to get to this point
I truly wish I done this decades ago

Hi I'm 54 and my age wasn't mentioned :)

54 is far from old!

I was just two weeks from my 49th birthday when my sleeve was done.

I was given funding for the Tier 3 and was told I would need further funding for Tier 4 (surgery). Originally I was told that it was difficult to get the funding for the Tier 3 because of my age, but my doctor was able to persuade them. As I am now 63 I was a bit concerned whether or not I would get funding for Tier 4, but my doctor at Addenbrookes said the new guidelines brought in in April this year, states, age is no longer relevant. I am very happy about that.

Pamala

I work in the hospital where I will be having my sleeve done in three weeks. We have patients from there early 20's up to the mid to late 60's, so again age doesn't seem a barrier.

All I can say is go for it you have as much chance as anybody else, good luck

My dad was 67 when he had a gastric bypass, he has definitely given himself a new life, no more medications (was on tons) following his weight loss he had bilateral knee replacements his life is unrecognisable now 3 years on and to be honest not only has he got a new life to be honest if he hadn't of done it I don't think he would of still been alive now! Go for it you are never to old to grab life with both hands x

I struggled with my weight all my life before biting the bullet and spending my hard earned savings on WLS at the age of 64. I'm 66 now with a BMI of 28' last year I had a hip replaced and now,although I wouldn't say I'm running round like a two year old, I have a full and active life and one that will probably last longer than it would have. My only regret is not having had it done when I was a youngster in my fifties!

Well done to everyone who's had there operations. I am 58 still waiting for the op, but with the new rules they told us at the Seminar, if you are fit enough to go through with the operation, they would do it up to 70 years.

Back