• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking

Gladys Friday

Hello

I am Debbie and I am thinking about and researching a gastric sleeve. I have a bmi of around 53 so will try the NHS first. If not I will fund it myself so am curious to see what people are saying. I currently live in Swindon but will be moving to Plymouth around November.

Debbie:break_diet::D:wavey::wavey:

Hi and welcome, I too started with a BMI of around 53, I also self funded, but I opted for a bypass after chatting with my surgeon :)

Hi Debbie, I'm a privately funded sleeve. Went to get a band but after chatting to the surgeon ended up with a sleeve. Not a single regret. Start BMI 45, eight months later I'm down to 24.somthing. Any questions just ask :)

Last edited:
Hello I am Debbie and I am thinking about and researching a gastric sleeve. I have a bmi of around 53 so will try the NHS first. If not I will fund it myself so am curious to see what people are saying. I currently live in Swindon but will be moving to Plymouth around November. Debbie:break_diet::D:wavey::wavey:

I'm not from uk, I'm in Ireland and I'm going private to France you can't get surgery here public.

Where are you thinking of going for your sleeve?

Hello

I am Debbie and I am thinking about and researching a gastric sleeve. I have a bmi of around 53 so will try the NHS first. If not I will fund it myself so am curious to see what people are saying. I currently live in Swindon but will be moving to Plymouth around November.

Debbie:break_diet::D:wavey::wavey:

Hello Debbie!!

Good luck with your journey and fingers crossed the nhs path will work for you :)

I also started with a bmi of almost 53. I Reduced it to 45.3 before surgery (including pre op diet). And had my bypass a week ago!

I was determined and hopeful to get nhs funding as i would have not afforded wls otherwise. And i am trully thankful!

Good luck for you once more :) and keep us updated!

Thanks everyone for replying. I wasn't sure if the NHS were still making you jump through hoops for 2 years before surgery. I was looking at going abroad to somewhere like Belgium to get it done but then if things go wrong or you need some support you will have to keep travelling to where you had it done. I made an enquiry to Healthier Weight and had a phone call at the weekend giving a very comprehensive talk about the company but I will have to research it a bit more.

Debbie

Hi Debbie
I was sleeved on 06/09/14 after two years of struggling to make a decision I self funded as after taking two years to decide couldn't wait any more. I have no regrets my starting BMI was 45 so NHS would have considered but I'm in Havering Essex and My GP held out little hope so I went for it. I too researched going abroad but in the end choose local as I was so terrified of being alone away from home. hope you get lots of input to help you make a decision. Definitely approach your GP first but do it sooner rather than later. GL keep us updated :)

I have decided to self fund as I just would not want to wait for an op. I am unable to go to my gp as I will be moving in November to Plymouth. I have been looking at going abroad and I did find a thread talking about going to Czech for surgery and how fabulous it was so that was quite comforting. I have been looking for the thread again but can I find it!! I have tried to do a search but when I go to type a word in it disappears!

I am getting excited and haven't even started. We are moving from a house where we have lived in for 26 years into a houseboat in Torpoint just about in Cornwall. I have worked in frontline Social Work with children and families for 13 years and am hoping to go self employed doing assessments for Foster Carers so my life is completely changing. I am going to visit my sister in Australia next September so am actually looking forward to using just one seat instead of pinching half of someone else's!!!

Debbie

I have decided to self fund as I just would not want to wait for an op. I am unable to go to my gp as I will be moving in November to Plymouth. I have been looking at going abroad and I did find a thread talking about going to Czech for surgery and how fabulous it was so that was quite comforting. I have been looking for the thread again but can I find it!! I have tried to do a search but when I go to type a word in it disappears! I am getting excited and haven't even started. We are moving from a house where we have lived in for 26 years into a houseboat in Torpoint just about in Cornwall. I have worked in frontline Social Work with children and families for 13 years and am hoping to go self employed doing assessments for Foster Carers so my life is completely changing. I am going to visit my sister in Australia next September so am actually looking forward to using just one seat instead of pinching half of someone else's!!! Debbie[/QUOTE

Just my opinion but I wouldn't go to Czech. I had a very bad exp in it and wasted a lot of money with no come back. At end of day it's your decision but I would have appreciated someone telling me before I went if they had a bad exp.

Hi i am off to Czech in 2 weeks, i found no poor reviews, i too work in health and social care and i know our own public services and our own surgical machinery and theatres are desperately in need of investment. I have researched here and abroad, my local expensive 'private hospital' had CQC ( care quality commission) do an unannounced visit and special measures put in.

i am not going alone I'm taking a chaperone (my sister), the hospital are simply changing her board and meals, similar price to hot near by.

cosmetic tourism has created high standards across Europe, gone are the days of 'barbaric' standards, reviews evidence patients are treated wit the upmost care, attention nd support.

many Belgium clinics, operate in Belgium and then hold after care services monthly in cities in the UK.

check out beautiful beings . in google a UK based agent, call them, have chat, don't book just research. I chose ether as they never once made me feel obliged to progress the enquiry.

We S Workers are ever the analytical thinkers and weigh up whats important, you decide whats right for you

good luck x

Thanks for the replies ladies. I will continue to research different places as I can't have it till November at the earliest.

Debbie

Back