• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cross addiction to alcohol

belbouteloup

Hi Folks

Long time !!! hope you are all well, have had a rough time of late and all though i`m petrified i think i need to talk to you lovely people. I had my op last Nov, and am now a gorgeous size 8/10 after losing nearly 7 stone, happily married with 2 amazing little kids,great freinds, infact life is good, but however for some reason i have swopped my old food addiction for alcohol and in a major way !!! i drink every day and it has been getting worse and worse, i was warned many many times that i could transfer my addiction with food to something else and it happened. cross addiction happens quite alot apparently. But why ???? i`m not unhappy, i just dont understand. i get drunk v quickly and have blacked out the last few times, Sat a week ago i went out with freinds, got drunk and banged my face quite badly, luckily for me it was a wake up call, and with support from hubby and familly i havnt had a drink for over a week, which is great, still want it badly, but am sooo ashamed of myself and my behaviour, i just cant get over it. sorry for the rant guys, just wondererd if anyone had been through this and what they did ??

Last edited:
Hi glad to see your weightloss journey was good.It must be a great worry about the drinking especially blacking out.Did you drink before wls?I would see my wls psych or my GP to be honest before it gets too bad.You have made a fantastic start by coming here and telling us all.Best wishes whatever you decide and you know we will always lend an ear.Maz x

Hi Bel

Well done for losing 7 stone, what an amazing achievement.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem and altho I cant offer any advise I just wanted to let you know that people are always here to listen if you need to talk.

I hope you figure it out soon. x

Hi Bellsie,

Your honesty has brought tears to my eyes.

It is really brave of you to admit your drink has become a problem. I'm so glad for you and your family that you have managed to go without a drink for over a week.

My dad had a bit of a problem with drink, but gave up after he ended up in the local Canal. He had no memory of how he got there, but also lost a few teeth trying to get out.

I sorry I can't help or advise regards your drinking, but all I would say is please talk to your dr he/she should be able to get you the help you need.

Please keep posting, I'm sure we are all routing for you.

((BIG HUG))

thanks guys, yes i always liked a glass of vino ,before now i just cant handle it, i get v drunk on 2 glasses, guess i cant absorb it and half the weight i was. seeing my surgeon tomorrow and will have to fess up, but it`s good as i need to get it out in the open and deal with it, i`m not the kind of person to cut down, i will stop completley, which i have done for the last week and a bit, just need a bit of support and a new addiction, maybe hot young men, would be a good one ! JOKE !!!! i just feel talking to you guys in particular always helps. thank you

Hi Bellsie
i think you have been very brave to admit you have a prob and you know what they say that's the first step. You sound as if you have a supportive family and hubby and that's great but what's even better is that you want to do something to sort this out. I have a fair amount of experience with drink related probs in my extended family.You have done fantasticaly well with your weight loss and you can do this too. Congratulations on the last week you have done really well take all the support you can from the professionals and we will be here to listen too. Good luck and thank you for sharing your story xx

hiya Bell :hug99: well done for acknowledging the problem and taking steps to fix it. Nic (PG) has posted a few threads on here about transfer addiction, I'm sure if you either search or send her a message she'll post them for you. Might help you understand why and how it happens.

Hiya Bellsie,

I really admire your honesty hun, and well done for staying off the drink for over a week now. As you say, transfer addiction is quite common, and its good that you have recognised the problem early and are asking for help.

Huge well done on the weight loss. You must feel amazing to be a size 8/10. Im very envious!

Big hugs xx

you have transferred your addiction to food to something else - in this case its booze. You are going to see your surgeon soon so thats the first step but I would really recommend some form of counselling. This op fixes your body but not your head and its your head that got you the way you were in the first place! Hope that makes sense - good luck!

Hi bellsie nice to hear from you and well done on yr weight loss.
Sorry to hear yr struggling with addiction transfere, did you see a psych before you had yr bypass if you did maybe you could get another appointment with him or her.
Without going on at the moment i personally think it is the most important part of our evaluation for suitability for surgery and what our coping stratagies will be if we have an addiction to food or an emotional attachment to it.
Im sure your surgeon will be able to point you in the right direction and with the love and support of your family and friends both at home and here on minis you will get through this and look back in months to come a much stronger person.

so glad to see you posting again
take care
carole

Ive just looked at your photo's Bellsie.... flippin eck. You look incredible.

I hadn't heard of this transfering of addiction so thank you very sincerely for drawing it to my attention and also for being so honest with it and how you feel.

I can only re-iterate what the others have said, see if you can see the psyche or a counsellor and talk through get the help they can provide. Also congratulations on your weight loss and if you need a new addiction why not take up bargain hunting for clothes now you have that wonderful svelte new figure? xx

I agree with Carol it is so so important to have your head in the right place, which is why I have been happy to take my time over the process and not rush into anything.
You have done brilliantly with your weightloss Bellsie and I am so sorry you ended up addicted to alcohol, but hey you are pulling yourself out of that hole with both hands and you should be so proud of yourself, I am sure it is not an easy thing to do.
Glad you are seeing your surgeon and another visit to the psych would be good too I am sure they will be happy to see you.
I know you will beat this, as you are a gutsy lady and have already done the hardest part.
Good luck and will watch with interest how you get on, will be rooting for you

Jay xx

First congratulations on loosing 7 stone that is fantastic. Your family sound very supportive and we are also here to see you through this difficult time. Well done on not having a drink for a week you should be proud of yourself. Remember if you are struggling come on here and chat it will take your mind off it. Take care.

Just look at what you have got, two lovly children and a loving hubby, a fab home, and on top of that a great body, a lot of people would kill for that!!!!!!!!!!

Hi! Glad to see you posting but sad to hear you having a rough time :cry:. Thanks for being brave and sharing with us your struggle. I am wishing you the best in seeking and getting the help you need.

Here are some links for you hun. We are all here for you when you want to talk.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-we...le-should-know-about-transfer-addictions.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/82118-addiction-transfere.html

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/97004-addictions-since-surgery.html

(((Big HUGS)))
Nic;)

Hey folks, thanks sooo much for all your support. Have been to hospital this morning, and had a really productive meeting, told them everything, and they were great, going to see a counsellor, they recommended some good self help books and tools and said they are always at the end of the phone if things get out of control again. Went out to my sis`s party last night and didn`t touch a drop, first was quite hard going, but then quite enjoyed everyone else around me getting wasted, instead of me for a change. I know this is only the beginning and it`s "baby steps" all the way. Feel so much more positive today, i have everything to live for and wont let this beat me. Thanks again guys xxxxxxxxxxxx

Back