• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I have never been a big drinker, and I have not touched a drop since September 2009. I just wanted to know if it is possible to drink alcohol post a gastric bypass, and if so. how much can you manage, and do you get drunk etc? :D

Hi

Some consultants say you cant and shouldn't drink post bypass (and therefore some people wont drink) and some say you can, mine says i can, and i do on occasion have a drink, i find that i cant drink really fizzy drinks like larger any more as i find the fizzy hard to drink, though i can tolerate tonic water when used as a mixer, real ale and bitter is no problem, though beware the effects of the alcohol increase due to the lack of stomach restriction and intestine.

Thanks's. to be honest I dont think I will drink again, but it's always good to know what the boundries are. :)

Like you Kim, Ive never been a big drinker. I had my op on 30th August and had alcohol for the first time over the christmas period. I stuck to wine as I knew there would be probs with fizz or sugars, and was absolutely fine, but I did take it slowly. Didnt see any adverse effects at all.

I have always liked a drink and over Christmas I had dry white wine and felt a bit woozier earlier than I normally would. I tried a Baileys but that was a big mistake, too sweet and creamy.

Like you Kim, Ive never been a big drinker. I had my op on 30th August and had alcohol for the first time over the christmas period. I stuck to wine as I knew there would be probs with fizz or sugars, and was absolutely fine, but I did take it slowly. Didnt see any adverse effects at all.
Thats good to know, thanks. I dont like lager anyway, so if I do ever drink it will be bitter, or guiness and it will be purely a social drink. and not to access.

Thats good to know, thanks. I dont like lager anyway, so if I do ever drink it will be bitter, or guiness and it will be purely a social drink. and not to access.

Guiness is fine and goes down a treat :D

I used to be a lager drinker, but these days i'm more into real ale and bitters man :D

I have always liked a drink and over Christmas I had dry white wine and felt a bit woozier earlier than I normally would. I tried a Baileys but that was a big mistake, too sweet and creamy.

Noooo don't tell me this Gillabean..... i love Baileys, especially floating on a Sambuca grrrr.. Oh well slim n healthy or the ritualistic bottle of baileys over the festive period, oh well it gives you a headache anyways...

i love Baileys, especially floating on a Sambuca grrrr..

Mmmm... Slippery Nipple! My favourite. Dont think I could cope with them now though.

Mmmm... Slippery Nipple! My favourite. Dont think I could cope with them now though.

Tut tut Sam i deliberately avoided the proper name for it knowing how little encouragement was needed for naughtiness lol......

But they are delicious hmmmm x

Tut tut Sam i deliberately avoided the proper name for it knowing how little encouragement was needed for naughtiness lol......

God Ive led a sheltered life LOL :rolleyes: :)

haha - I thought twice about posting it myself Julie... Just waiting for the boys to come along and say something rude now.

They certainly are delicious though!

Did someone say Slippery Nipple, i'de love one of them right now ahem cough cough

Think it might be a little too soon after surgery for you to be experimenting with slippery nipples IRJ.

They've started now Sam.... I remember the first time i had a slippery nipple was so lovely i asked for the 'larger sized cup' pmsl... barman never got it at all, but me and my sister who had already consumed copious amounts of alcohol on the 'Black Country Booze Cruise' were in bits lol xx

You lot are encouragable lol
Ive never been a big drinker, in my teens/early twenties I like Blue Balls and Red Witches, though I preferred the blue balls, not had either for many the year now.
Before the surgery, in the few months before the op I got into Asti, I realllllllllly liked that but its not something that I miss and there are no other alcohols that I miss either, even if I did I would see every sip as empty calories and as I class everything that I put into my mouth as needing to be meaningful (dont say it!!!) then I dont think alcohol would be on my future list, in fact I know that it will never pass my lips again and that is fine with me.
Steph xx

They've started now Sam.... I remember the first time i had a slippery nipple was so lovely i asked for the 'larger sized cup' pmsl... barman never got it at all, but me and my sister who had already consumed copious amounts of alcohol on the 'Black Country Booze Cruise' were in bits lol xx

:rotflmao:

Ive not been on a "black country booze cruise" for many years Julie, but I reckon thats a brilliant idea for the next brummy meet up.

Back