• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol

Nicnac_

Can you drink alcohol after surgery and back on normal consistency diet?

I didn't drink any for a long time, probably 5 or 6 months after my surgery, but I was never a big drinker before my op anyway.
These days a large glass of wine has me nice and tipsy for the evening lol

Yes, I had a drink 3 weeks out ordered by my bariatric nurse! lol i was told i had to stop stressing and have a glass of wine.....so i did! I only have one drink when I am out. I physically cant drink more than one gin and cranberry juice. Alcohol and any mixers can be classed as wasted calories too. My team are happy for me to have it because I don't have it often.

That's good to hear I don't drink loads but nice to still hear I can have a drink with friends - defo wasted calories!

I was never a big drinker before my surgery. But my consultant advised not drinking for 12 months post surgery. Each provider has different rules. As for normal consistency food. I did 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks purée, 2 weeks soft food and then onto normal consistency :)

They all say different - lots of posts on here from ppl with all varying things been told to do!

I suppose fizzy lager would be a no no then?

My team said 4-6 months before trying alcohol... now I can manage a couple of halves & I'm on the floor with me booties in the air... lol :)

I can manage cider/lager if I sip it (I love a cheeky cider or corona) but again I stick to half pints... oh and although I love it wine is a big no no for me... 1 glass & I'm pished...

my OH thinks its great... as I'm either a cheap date due to kids portions & 1 drink or I'm the designated driver!!! lol xx

I was told by my Bariatric surgeon that alcohol is an absolute no no up to 1 year post surgery for bypass patients. It can lead to ulcerations in the pouch and small intestine so why risk it. But again everyone has different protocols apparently.

My team's advise is 1 year, but my surgeon says 12 weeks minimum. I'm 4 1/2 months out and have yet to have any. Certainly for the first 10-12 weeks I actually thought I would never even want to drink again. But now the warn weather is here, I quite fancy a nice cold white wine or cider. Unfortunately drinking alcohol isn't conducive to weight loss. I am going to try alcohol at about 6 months post op, as agreed with my team. But I dont intend drink more than once or twice a month until I'm at goal (or for the rest of my life really).

Hi, my surgeon advised 12 months, the dietician said this is because of wasted calories and your more likely to slip into old bad habits when drunk. I went to party at 11 weeks post op and had some low calorie/volume wine, I felt ok no dumping and only slight feeling of been drunk but there were nibbles on they tables and I just couldn't stop eating them even tho I wasn't hungry. And this is obviously what the dietician meant. I think if your a year out then your mind may be trained more not to do this. I have to admit I did enjoy the drink tho. I have also tried the fruit ciders with lots of ice which gets rid of the bubbles. Lovely in this warm weather, but lots of calories.

I was at a support group meeting recently and there was an individual there who had had a bypass on May 20th. He reeked of booze and admitted he'd come to the meeting from the pub.

So heaven knows what his provider's guidelines were!

With providers ok I had a drink 12 weeks out, quite a few in fact, jack Daniels with ice. Took my time and it was fine. Since then I have been out about once a month and have managed wine, spirits etc, tried cider with lots of ice at a BBQ last weekend and just knew not to have anymore as it was making me feel weird!
Follow provider and your own intuition xxx

Back