• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcoholic Beverages

4Gr8kids

I love, love, love margaritas. After having a sleeve, is it possible to drink alcohol or not encouraged because of sweeteners?

I love, love, love margaritas. After having a sleeve, is it possible to drink alcohol or not encouraged because of sweeteners?
i still drink, not beer though lol x

You should avoid fizzy drinks as the gas stretches the sleeve and it can be a bit of an uncomfortable feeling.

It is possible but with caution.

It is not just the high sugar content that could cause problems -- we have 80% less intestinal lining than "normal" people with normal stomachs -- therefore our sleeves' ability to digest alcohol will be different.

For some people it might mean their sleeve cannot tolerate alcohol at all, for others they might become drunk after one glass.

As I say proceed with *caution* when trying alcohol for the first time post surgery.

I can tolerate straight brandy or whiskey a couple or 3 in a night but wine and anything sweet doesn't agree with me , I bought some Malibu type drink from Sainsbury and bought cranberry juice to go in it but still didn't agree :(

I can make a shot of vodka with NAS in a tall glass last a couple of hours but even that little makes me a bit woozy, so definitely try it For the first time at home. I find I don't enjoy the feeling from alcohol since the bypass! I think howalcohol affects you is a very individual thing.

sent From my Galaxy Note 2GT 7105 LTE

that's true Amanda I used to play a lot of darts and at least 2 or 3 nights a week would drink a good fair amount :) now as I say a couple of Brandeis once a week is enough xx

I actually look on that as a positive bonus from the bypass Angie. Much kinder to our livers I'm sure LOL

sent From my Galaxy Note 2GT 7105 LTE

I never drank much alcohol prior to surgery, just the odd glass of wine with dinner. I would strongly suggest to be at home when you first try alcohol! We tend to get drunk so much quicker now, and I think I felt quite nauseous the first time I had some.
My team recommended to wait 2 years before having alcohol (I didn't stick to that though, but I have no more than 1 or 2 glasses of wine a month).

it's not something I miss and as you say kinder to our bodies :) I do miss the social side of going to darts I like seeing people but have had to give up I can't stand long enough and my poor hands struggle to hold the darts :(

Wine has always been my drink and I can still manage it now but only a couple of glasses and I usually feel it a lot but no 2 times are ever the same. Some times I can drink 3 glasses and feel fine and other times 2 glasses and I'm slurring. As It's been said something you can still enjoy with caution and depending on your teams advice. It's empty calories too so I see it as the occasional treat or special nights out. I know some people don't like drinking at all post op and some people like it too much. It's personal thing. Oh and about cocktails, I'm not sure you can have a margaritas but I went out for a night with the girls from work the other day and they told the barman I couldn't have sugar so he made me a cocktail without any added sugar, syrup or cream etc. I just had one but it was nice. I've found that if I don't want to have to go through the surgery thing with strangers it's easy to say diabetic so you don't get sugar in drinks and things :)

I have vodka and stir the fizz out of my diet coke with ice in it if I go out. Bit yes, get squiffy on much less now (which is a good thing). And I have had the first headache hangovers in my whole life recently.

I wasn't a big drinker before. And that remains the case now. But if I go out I have some (every 2-3 months maybe). And I keep a bottle of baileys in the fridge and add the smallest dash to a coffee now and again. Had that bottle ages, so that tells you how little I use lol

Don't really like my post op drunk feeling. Makes me feel more drugged than drunk. So wont be developing into a hardcore drinker anytime soon lol

On a rare occasion I have alcohol- maybe every 2 to 3 months. I try to stick to vodka cocktails. Haven't gotten too drunk yet but find when I drink my weight lost stalls for the next 3 weeks which depresses me . So I avoid drinking on nights out. ;)

Back