• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I crazy?

PinkyButtonz

I'm waiting for Bypass on the NHS.

If I can come up with the money I'm thinking paying for my 19 year old daughter to have Gastric Balloon or band fitted.
She is so unhappy with her weight it break my heart, she done WW and Cambridge diet but ends up giving up as she says she hungry.
I'd hate to have the Bypass and see her continue to struggle with her weight, while i'm losing.

Her BMI is just over 35 and she has no health problems apart from migraines. I know the NSH won't pay for it.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanx
PinkyX

do what you think is best Hun ....... its your daughter if you can afford it and if its going to make her life better then who is anyone to judge ...

however balloon is only a 6 month fix... and then its back to life ..

band would prb be better option at 6.000 thousand pounds + fills or you can buy a package ... they also offer finance at some of these places...

good luck with ur choice Hun xx

Hope you work out a solution and i agree with Brett the band is a more long term thing which helps people control tgheir weight gain after getting back to a normal weight.

I self funded via an unsecured loan as i am a tennent rather than a home owner, is this possible for you?

Thanks Brett. I think Band would be better as it is long term.

Tendersage thanks also.
Not sure if I'd be able to get a loan as I don't work due disability. I have about £2,500 to £3,000 savings. Paying for it would leave me flat broke, but it would be money well spent. She training to work in the beauty industry and I know appearance is important.

i agree with the others, the balloon would only be a short term fix. as when normal eating resumes after its removed theres a very high chance that the weight lost will return plus more.

good luck on your decision, what is your daughters opinions regarding banding ?

Does your daughter have an opinion on WLS at all? It is a mother's natural desire to see her children happy, but has she expressed an interest in having WLS? It is a tough road to follow and she must be as informed and ready as she can be to undergo it and the living with it after.

Does your daughter have an opinion on WLS at all? It is a mother's natural desire to see her children happy, but has she expressed an interest in having WLS? It is a tough road to follow and she must be as informed and ready as she can be to undergo it and the living with it after.

thats how i meant to word myself, she must have an opinion about it, sorry i came across with out explaining myself properly.

her thoughts about banding ?

We discussed it and she'd love to have Band. We did discuss the Balloon also because it was slightly cheaper. After everyone thought on it I'm not thinking why pay all that money for something temporary.

just a thought.....

you say u have money towards it, maybe you could get a small loan to pay the difference including an after care package and share the repayments as she cant expect you to pay it all.

She most definately has an opinion on WLS. She put it to me, and asked me to ask our GP if she could get on the NHS. I knew they wouldn't consider her for WLS and the GP as much as told her that.

She know a lot about WLS, the good and the bad and the changes she will need to make.

Hi Pink - i am with all the others too. Yes any parent wants what is best for their children and if your daughter truly wants it and has researched it too then i hope you both find happiness on your chosen roads. Hugs with fairy dust to you both x

some of the private sector offer deals on the finance if you put up half of you, it might be worth you checking them out

Can your daughter not get a loan for half ?
Her BMI is not that high has she tried Xenical or Reductil ?
I am sure a GP would suggest these first before wls.
Dont get me wrong I dont think the NHS are right in much that they do but they do things for reasons.
x

Can your daughter not get a loan for half ?
Her BMI is not that high has she tried Xenical or Reductil ?
I am sure a GP would suggest these first before wls.
Dont get me wrong I dont think the NHS are right in much that they do but they do things for reasons.
x

She a student. She is looking into getting a part time job, but I don't think she'll be able to get a loan.

GP is going to see her again next month, but wants her to lose few pound before she give her any pills.
She knows the side affect of Xenical because I tried it myself. I had the unpleasent side affect even though I was on a low fat diet (WW).

I would seek the opinion another GP and see if nhs really wasn't a possibility.
I would also talk to my sugeon about this, or maybe write to ask for his opipnion. Not just about the op but the funding. I've seen a school girl at the whittington hospital and at the support group, food for thought me thinks...
Good luck

Good luck pink. You've got a real hard decision to make here and I'm glad its not me in your position. I too have a daughter at 19 who needs to lose some weight. She's gone through everything with me, the ww and sw and many other diets but gained some back just like me. Would I let her have wls if I could afford it????? My god YES I would because I would'nt want her to spend her life on different diets only to gain it back. XXXGaynorXXX

Back