• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am i doing the right thing

majove66

Booked in for bypass tue 21st,have lost 18lbs so far on pre op diet,terrified i won't be the same person after op,been big all my life,and am terrified of operation,as my father never regained conciousness following an operation 3 years ago,and because of a lifetime of over eating i'm putting my family through another anxious time,i know i'm rambling but i can't think straight at the moment,any reassuring words would be appreciated.

You know this is a decision for yourself, you've obviously thought about it long and hard to get this far.

My mum also never regained conscious after a major op and sometimes I'm terrified too, but for me I know she would want me to do whats needed to enjoy my life again.

Of course you'll be the same person after the op, just happier in yourself and able to get on with living... I'm sure your family are behind you all the way...

Try to do something not connected to WL and see how you feel later... don't do anything that you'll likely to regret

Best wishes

majove66 said:
Booked in for bypass tue 21st,have lost 18lbs so far on pre op diet,terrified i won't be the same person after op,been big all my life,and am terrified of operation,as my father never regained conciousness following an operation 3 years ago,and because of a lifetime of over eating i'm putting my family through another anxious time,i know i'm rambling but i can't think straight at the moment,any reassuring words would be appreciated.

Hi

I too was in a real state the night before my op. I was in tears wondering if I was making the right decision. The day of my op is was as though a wonderful peace and tranquility had taken over my body :)
I hated being big and wanted to get back to the person I was before my weight problem.
All I can say is that four weeks later I don't regret it one bit! The first couple of weeks were tough, but I'm now feeling much better, and the weight's coming off ;-)
It has to be your decision but I went for it because I knew I'd never have the opportunity again x

You know something, the thought of dying whilst having surgery never ever frightened me. The thought of dying fat and having my beloved son and brothers HEAVING my fat body down the aisle at the crematorium scared the hell out of me.

One year post op and hell yeah i have changed. I had too, my other clothes were way too big now...

Apart from that, i'm still the same person, mad as a hatter and happy as a pig in muck :) xx

We are shaped by our experiences and its only natural that this would scare you. But this operation will really change your life. Its a decision I am sure you have not taken lightly but is still your decision. I can say that I too was terrified in the days preceeding the op, but on the day I was calm and a little excited. I am already glad I did it and would do it all over again if I had to go back, but years earlier.

x x x

I also wish I'd looked into doing this sooner, so that I'd have longer to enjoy the hopefully new slimmer me to come xx

Hiya Majove66,

I know how you feel, I was absolutely paranoid to have any operation at all and had in my mind that I would only have a band done, after reading all the stuff they gave me and doing a little research I opted for the bypass. I am now 10 days post op and wondered why I made all the fuss. These guys know what they doing, I was under for 3 hours you will be under for about 45 minutes I believe. Your journey takes a lot of soul searching, emotions, worries and fears, but the end result and the losers bench is the best thing to focus on. Hope this helps a little Take care a good luck on your journey. God Bless, Bob.xx

Hi. to be honest in my personal thoughts i was in a win win situation if i didnt come round again i would rejoin my mum n dad and if i did i knew i would see my children again no one wants to die but death comes to us all so why worry about something we have no control over these are only my thoughts.

I wasn't too worried about dying because I was so miserable with my pre-op life anyway. My only concern was for how it would be a nightmare for my parents. But I think it would have been even worse for them if I'd dropped down dead one day of a heart attack. I remember going off to sleep in the theatre with a big smile on my face.

I'm 4 weeks on now and 3 stone down altogether including the pre-op diet where I also lost 18lbs. I feel fantastic and everyone is commenting on how different I look. I don't regret this for a minute.

I havent had my op yet, only just been referred an have my first apointment in august.
But since i took the decision to even try and get referred I've been so much happier. I can see a brighter future ahead for myself, my partner, kids an family.
one where I CAN go walking with them an not be huffing an puffing after a few minutes.... one where I can play footy with the kids, or chase them around the park, go out dancing and all the things i cant at the moment.

I know as my op date gets nearer I will be going through the same thing you are now, but I KNOW deep down I have made the right decision. I was never big until I hadmyfirst son, well i was a size 14, so to somei guess i was big lol. AfterI hahim i was 17 stone in weight.... an since the the weight just keeps going on an on...an now it is time to stop it, to see it coming off for once an get a second chance at life!

ONly YOU can know what you feel is right deep dwn inseide. You wouldnt be normal if you int get the jitters, and whatever you decide you will know deep down what is right fr you.

I wish you so much luck in everything.

I was also more concerned about dying big and my hubby and son having to carry my coffin! Natural to feel concerned, especially for your family, but for me, I just felt that I was in the safest hands ever with an anaethetist who works on big people every day!! Like Yorkiegal, had my op 4 weeks ago and dont regret it for a second - just had my first haircut since today - really shows off the difference in my face shape! You go for it girl - I promise you - no regrets!!

Back