• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I Eating Enough!

Mrs Quiggle

I'm not really sure I'm eating enough. Calorie wise. I had a yogurt for breakfast for 79 calories, I've just spent an hour nibbling 2 cracker breads spread with light philly and 3 crab sticks (seafood stick things) and will have some soup for lunch. I'm out for dinner as it's my works do tonight and I'm having soup followed by salmon. I'm getting plenty of protein in, loads in fact as apart from breakfast, all my meals and snacks are packed with protein. Does this sound right. I really don't know how many calories I should be consuming at 2.5 weeks out. Most things have gone down really well except Ambrosia low fat custard and too much peanut butter which made me feel sick but having less is ok.

I'm on purees but worried that I might be trying to walk before I can run as I had 5 bean chilli and a jacket potato for dinner at Wetherspoons last night and was a bid dry but very mashed up and I chewed for England. It went down fine though with no problems. All the advice is so conflicting it's really hard to know what to do.

What is everyone else having 2-3 weeks out.

Kate x

I am a little ahead of you Kate but I was told by my nutritionist under no circumstances have anything other than purée for the first 4 - 6 weeks as it can cause stretching to the new pouch. I am struggling with puréed food so having more soup but can manage jacket potato mashed up with some cheese and a bit of milk to soften a little. Today I tried a soft scrambled egg, a small portion of grated cheese and I shredded up a slice of wafer thin ham and cooked it all together until lightly scrambled. I could only manage a couple of spoonfuls before I felt 'odd' and I think I also jumped the gun a bit. I also enjoy Melts crackers with either laughing cow light or pate and this takes some of the tedium out of my food.

I'm not drinking enough, and I need to up my protein.

Crab sticks must be quite difficult for you? The texture is quite grainy isn't it? You are brave going out for dinner too, I'm very impressed that you plan on having soup AND salmon hehe! I love 5 bean chilli soup which I might buy and blitz, I bet that's really quite tasty.

I think you are doing fine, if you are not being sick then you are obviously tolerating what you are eating.

Roll on the soft stage lol!!!

Hi Kate, I'm 2 weeks post op and a typical day consists of : 1/2 an Oats So Simple porridge with skimmed milk, 1/2 banana mushed, 1/2 small tin macoroni cheese and spoonful cauli cheese with some grated cheese sprinkled on top (yes - very cheesy!), an innocent smoothie, and tea will be mince & onion blitzed with a table spoon of mash, maybe 1/2 a pot of low fat ambrosia custard later on tonight. all this plus tea/coffee/ nas/ OJ. Now you have me thinking I'm having too much too?

my hubby made some chilli and I had a couple if table spoons last night blitzed (still too much texture I think) 1 tablespoon rice blitzed to couscous consistency with a heaped teaspoon of ultra light Mayo to try to make it a bit sloppy. I think the texture was too much, but all went down ok.

its really difficult to eat puree food only because it makes food seem unnatural so I try to stuck to naturally smooth food ...... BUT I'm bored with it!!!

roll on soft food stage!!
xxx

See the majority of my food is pureed all really except the cracker breads which melt in your mouth like quavers and chew away to just about nothing. A good carrier for smooth peanut butter or Philly cheese. The jacket potato and bean chilli where the most un pureed things I've had since the op. The seafood sticks chew away to almost nothing too as they are very soft. Wouldn't try a prawn. Tonights soup is minestrone so I will just eat the liquid part and I'm thinking I can mash a bit of salmon into whatever potato comes with it and some of the cream sauce it's being served with along with hopefully mashing a bit of the veg. I'm hoping if I chew chew chew it will turn to puree in my mouth. I had a scrambled egg with a sprinkling of cheese for lunch, wasn't sure how it would go down as it carried on cooking a bit in my heated baby bowl. I did enjoy it though and it stayed down ok with no bad effects.

The thing is that some people are given the advice to go onto puree on week 2 then progress onto mashed food when they feel able to. Some are told liquid for 3 weeks then runny puree for 2 weeks. It's all so different everywhere isn't it. My diet sheet says 2 weeks of each stage but when you talk to the dietician at the support group he is quite blase about it and says if you feel ready move on. He said your stomach will tell you if it isn't ready for the food you've given it and that you would be sick a long time before you got to the stage of stretching your pouch. It just seems that every one has a different opinion on the subject.

Well at least we are all eating similar foods and quantities. I think it's fluids that are my problem. Some days I only get through a couple of cups of tea and maybe a 500ml bottle of squash or water. I'm trying extra hard today to keep my fluids up to see if it makes a difference. I have to say though that I am using the loo regular as I was before every morning only occasionally missing a day, so that's all good.

Kate x

im a bit confused Miss Quiggle have you had your op already?

sorry ignore above i had brain freeze!!

Last edited:
See the majority of my food is pureed all really except the cracker breads which melt in your mouth like quavers and chew away to just about nothing. A good carrier for smooth peanut butter or Philly cheese. The jacket potato and bean chilli where the most un pureed things I've had since the op. The seafood sticks chew away to almost nothing too as they are very soft. Wouldn't try a prawn. Tonights soup is minestrone so I will just eat the liquid part and I'm thinking I can mash a bit of salmon into whatever potato comes with it and some of the cream sauce it's being served with along with hopefully mashing a bit of the veg. I'm hoping if I chew chew chew it will turn to puree in my mouth. I had a scrambled egg with a sprinkling of cheese for lunch, wasn't sure how it would go down as it carried on cooking a bit in my heated baby bowl. I did enjoy it though and it stayed down ok with no bad effects.

The thing is that some people are given the advice to go onto puree on week 2 then progress onto mashed food when they feel able to. Some are told liquid for 3 weeks then runny puree for 2 weeks. It's all so different everywhere isn't it. My diet sheet says 2 weeks of each stage but when you talk to the dietician at the support group he is quite blase about it and says if you feel ready move on. He said your stomach will tell you if it isn't ready for the food you've given it and that you would be sick a long time before you got to the stage of stretching your pouch. It just seems that every one has a different opinion on the subject.

Well at least we are all eating similar foods and quantities. I think it's fluids that are my problem. Some days I only get through a couple of cups of tea and maybe a 500ml bottle of squash or water. I'm trying extra hard today to keep my fluids up to see if it makes a difference. I have to say though that I am using the loo regular as I was before every morning only occasionally missing a day, so that's all good.

Kate x

i struggle with my liquids every day, i think my food intake is ok but i cant drink much water, althogh i have tried to have a cup of tea or half as i cant get through it without it going cold! everyone here seems to be drinking loads..but even befre he op i didnt drink much.
As for food i had sliced chicken and my hand blender just chewed it up and it didnt puree however much gravy i added to it... so i broke it up with a fork and just chewed it loads... i was ok xx
My diet sheets from the beginning was liquids for first 10 days, then pureed until week 5 which takes me to 22nd December, then from then on until week 12 soft foods xx

Last edited:
Eaten slowly & well chewed you can manage most things even with a fair amount of texture especially if moist. Due to our holiday in Spain I was on solids by 4 weeks post op with guidance from my dietitian, not necessarily the best recommendation of things to do but if you take it slowly & sensibly then you should manage. I did I was on pork tapas etc although sometimes it got stick & was ejected that was as much my not chewing enough or going slow enough.

Be careful you are still healing inside for a long time,so treat your pouch with great care.Follow your teams advice to the letter.Maz x

My consultant is insistant that only liquids for first two weeks, and only thin enough to go through a straw, after that the mush has to be runny enough to eat with a spoon and if it can be eaten with a fork its two thick, that is for week 2 - 4 then after that start on semi solids. He also says you should not eat over 15oo calories at the most - mrs quiggle my consultant is Mr reddys superior so i can surprised the diets are so very different, still as you are doing so well with it and still loosing weight it must be fine - I cant wait for something more than soup since i have been on soup and youghurt since nov 6th i am soo bored with it, though not hungry at all.

I am not going to the loo though - this is worrying me has any other post oppers had problems going?

Debs

Well tonight I ate some minestrone soup, just the liquid which had no thickness at all, just had a few spoonfulls. It was delish. Then I had roasted salmon with a gorgeous sauce and the lovely waiter was quite happy to get me some mashed potato rather than the roast potatoes that everyone else was having. I ate a very small amount mashed into some of the potato with the sauce and some mashed up carrot. It was really lovely and went down beautifully as it was very moist and mashed up very well. I chewed and chewed and after everyone elses empty plates were removed the waitress asked me if I'd like it heated up again, what a star. OMG there was an Elvis impersonator there as the entertainment. Can't stand Elvis but it was good fun. I didn't have any pudding as for one I couldn't have fitted it in and there was definitely nothing suitable on the menu that I could have had.

Kate x

Last edited:
Sounds like a very successful evening, go you :). And the waiter was very obliging which is refreshing to hear xxx

Wow Kate, you're doing well girl!! An Elvis impersonator would have put me right off my food!! :)

Back