• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much should I be eating?

Barne

Hey

I'm almost a week post op so really new to all of this. I know roughly how many calories I should be eating in the long term but I have no idea what's considered 'normal' at this stage.

I know that 'normal' is different for everyone but I'm a bit concerned that I'm not eating enough. I'm really struggling to get much down. Eating between 75 and 100 calories a day.

How did everyone else get food down at this point? Should I be pushing myself for more?

Thanks!

SAM55

I was only on fluids at this stage for two weeks (protein shakes and NAS fluids). Was advised to aim for 2 litres. Have never been asked to count calories but to focus on the amount of protein.

What are you 'eating'?

Barne

Ah ok, maybe I don't need to be worrying about calories at this stage then. That's good!

I'm having yoghurt, actimel, very thin soup and Dutch crispbakes. All in teeny tiny portions though.

Just trying to get as much water in as possible too, but probably not enough. I just feel full all the time.

Hannah2

Yep @SAM55 is right, usually fluids only for at least 2 weeks! Soup with grated cheese or milk powder added for extra protein, protein shakes, lattes (decaf)/milk etc etc. Plus water/fluids and constantly sipping.

Were you not given a diet sheet/plan or information from a dietician? You should know how to approach normal foods - most people are 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks purée, 2 weeks soft foods before gradually trying normal food. If you overdo it initially you risk preventing healing.

Barne

Yep I am following the guidance from my surgeon. All the things I am eating are things they gave me in the hospital and are on the food sheet.

I was just worrying about the tiny portions I'm eating. I can only manage a teaspoon of yogurt for instance, and that will be a meal for me.

Hannah2

If you are following their guidelines then it should be fine. If you are worried about quantities then contact them and ask their advice. They may suggest alternatives.

sophiapink100

You do not need to concern yourself with calories at this stage, as time goes on you will be able to eat more, your tummy is very sore and swollen at the moment so just be very gentle with it. I remember only being able to eat ridiculously small amounts but that is completely normal and one of the reasons you should have 2-4 weeks off work post op. You may need a little extra sleep while your body recovers and gets used to its new "thumb tum" that was my nickname for mine! ha