• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am I the only person in the world who gains weight after a blumin Gastirc Bypass?

waynetta

I'm on the losers Rd.
Hi all, I'm feeling really s**t today. I weighed myself and have put weight on! A bl**dy pound. I know its only 1lb, but I've had a bypass to lose weight not bl**dy put it on!
I'm eating how I should be, not too much and I don't think too little, it is my TOTM, but it does'nt matter in my mind how much I tell myself its because of my TOTM I'm still really dissapointed and pi**ed off. I cant help thinking, for f**cks sake I've gone through all what you do, by having a bypass and for what? To put weight on, thats what! I know I'm over reacting, but I feel really down on myself and the whole f**cking thing! :(
Has anybody else gained weight, even though I'm sure my eating is ok?

Last edited:
Allie don't forget your hormones are also shot, rapid weight loss causes this as i have found. I am Also TOTM :-( thankfully this month i have avoided the hormone surge i had last month.

Hope you start feeling more yourself soon

Cheers D. x

Hi Allie, sorry that you are p****d off. I always thought that putting on weight with PMT was a myth to make me feel better when gained or stayed same etc. Last month I did an experiment with herbal water tablets from Boots- and sure enough I lost weight I could feel my boobs become less sore almost immediately. I then got my friend to do the same and she too did not gain any weight.

Thanks Jenni. x

Allie, there have been others that have put on a pound and I think they were at the same sort of stage as you and there are plenty that have stayed the same. Not only are you totm but your body has been through a massive shock and has been starved, cut, sewn back together and generally been through the mill. You are know eating 'normally' as such and your body is in survival mode in as much as it is storing some food incase of starvation again (its has been with out proper food for 6 or so weeks). Keep on as you are, you are doing really well and you will start losing again.

I can understand your frustrations and no doubt you will be saying the same to me a couple of months down the line. keep your chin up chuck xXx

hi aliie sorry to hear that your feeling down, a pound gain isnt alot and could be swelling, after major surgery part of the healing process is swelling it can occur from time to time over 12 months to protect the body as it heals, it could be that fluid from swelling and it will go away, dont over worry, hope you feel better soon.

liz x

Terri, I feel like crying I'm so p***ed off. I know your right, thankyou very much for that. xxxx

Cheers Liz, I think its such a big deal cuz I'm touchy anyways this time of the month. x

Allie i am looking into getting some starflower oil capsules to take for the hormones, these are meant to be twice as effective as evening primrose, i just need to work out if i can swallow them lol

Its very frustrating when the scales don't move or go up, it's happened to me more than once but you have to keep the overall picture in mind Allie, for all you know, next week when you weigh, you could drop 3-6 lbs...

Its a funny old thing this weight loss journey...and be reassured, at the TOTM you definitely gain fluid. Thats when I either weight the same or go up a few pounds.

What you need to do now you are back to real food is gently up the excercise to burn the excess off. It will start to come off quicker if you can. I started with walking 30 mins a day, now I do 30 mins aerobics and walk for 30 mins a day too.

Please do not be hard on yourself, this is a journey you have to sustain for life...why suffer the guilt you had before? You are in control now, not the food. And you have done so well so far.

Just take a deep breath and start again tomorrow.

You know you are doing well, this is just a very small hiccup, thats all.:);)

Cheers D. x

Allie! Allie! Allie! TOTM always means more water retention, bypass or not and water weighs heavy. Don't lose heart hunny, you're at the beginning still and your body is still getting into gear.

:hug99:

Hi all, I'm feeling really s**t today. I weighed myself and have put weight on! A bl**dy pound. I know its only 1lb, but I've had a bypass to lose weight not bl**dy put it on!
I'm eating how I should be, not too much and I don't think too little, it is my TOTM, but it does'nt matter in my mind how much I tell myself its because of my TOTM I'm still really dissapointed and pi**ed off. I cant help thinking, for f**cks sake I've gone through all what you do, by having a bypass and for what? To put weight on, thats what! I know I'm over reacting, but I feel really down on myself and the whole f**cking thing! :(
Has anybody else gained weight, even though I'm sure my eating is ok?

Hi Allie, so sorry to hear that your P****d off :( Dont worry about it its definately the TOTM it happens to all us women. I can gain loads the few days before, im sure that I still will once my bypass is done but don't think about it as a gain, just a temporary hiccup :)
Keep your chin up your doing brilliant!
xx

Oh Allie, hun, I have only just seen this.

Now you are a sensible woman and you know there are a million and one reasons why you might have gained. Im going to list only a few;

Water retention due to TOTM
Water retentino due to you not drinking enough water (you told us the other day that you are guilty of this)
Constipation
Not eating enough
Recovery from Surgery

Do I need to go on??

Now I know how upset you will be feeling, and honestly, I would be too. But look at it another way. You have lost 2st 3lb in about 6 weeks.

Please dont take this the wrong way Allie, but don't use this as an excuse. Its not on to say the bypass has failed so I may as well eat anyway... You know that you have to work hard this week to make sure you get that 1lb back off and a bit more.

I think you are amazing Allie. xxxx

Allie - Don't batter yourself Hun, you know deep down that you are doing really well. I am speaking from my own bitter experience and being a fella can't blame my TOTM lol. I am guilty of being in the camp that monitors my weight daily [before you all start giving me grief it works for me and keeps me focused]. Last Tuesday I had gained 4lbs - I was mortified and started to beat myself up, what had I done that was so different, why has this happened, I too was so miffed you wouldn't believe [actually you probably would lol]. Eventually HRH [Mrs C] give me a stern talking too and words such as GET A GRIP and some far stronger ones were hurled at me and I was reminded that I had lost 5 Stone 7Lbs so what was all the fuss about.
I can glady share with you that two mornings later not only had I lost the 4lb that I had put on but another 1lb as well - yes you have read right 4lb on and 5lb off. Morale of MY story yesterday has gone and we can't change it but tomorrow is another day. Chin up Hun you will be fine Sh1t happens......

totm is my worst time i dont loose for a week but a day after i finish i drop 3 or 4lbs dont be hard on yourself loosing weight plays havock with hormones and it could be your totm wil change hence more water retention

Thankyou everyone for all your replies, I know everyone of you is right. When I'm on my TOTM, I just get sooo low and unreasonable. The support from all of you is brilliant. Thankyou all so very much. I will be ok next week, once I'm not an evil c*w....Poor Paul!

Just wanted to say the same has happened to me as well, always see a stall or a gain during TOTM. I spoke to a lady who has gone through menapause & had gastric bypass and even she sees a tiny gain during the time she would of been having her TOTM. It just shows that women's body have a rhythm, and we hold onto weight for a few days a month, end of! Also, Cleggy made a good point. Even men can see drops & gains over a few days with no explaination.

Chin up, things only get better from here. I promise, you can trust in that!!!

Nic;)

Back