• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I so need a kick in the a**e

looking forward

I'm 3 months past banding and I feel like I'm a complete failure.

I have lost 34lbs not bad I know. However I need a 3rd fill, which I've booked for 19th Sept.

I find I'm fine with food during the day , bur come evening time I am now going back to what can only be described as grazing. I hate the fact that I'm back to this state again.

I really need someone to tell me off for this stupid behavior. I have put myself through the expense and risk of surgery and still I'm behaving like this.

I'm feeling so down about this I could cry.

Advice please on how to stop this behavior.

I have lost 34lbs not bad I know. However I need a 3rd fill, which I've booked for 19th Sept.

I find I'm fine with food during the day , bur come evening time I am now going back to what can only be described as grazing. I hate the fact that I'm back to this state again.

I really need someone to tell me off for this stupid behavior. I have put myself through the expense and risk of surgery and still I'm behaving like this.

Hi LF...you are not alone :hug99:

I'm 3 months post banding and have only lost 31lb. I could make excuses, I've been ill this last 2 weeks but I don't exercise either and have found that those who do lose the lbs quicker.

I find it really difficult eating breakfast (I pre banding would never go without breakfast) and am finding the whole experience so much harder than I expected :sigh:

we shouldn't compare our wl to others but it's difficult not to. I don't feel like a complete failure yet, but could be doing better.

so, don't worry...I feel the same too :hug99:

34lbs is great so be proud of that! I've had a bypass so can't help with any advice on bands or fills etc but i guess grazing is grazing regardless. Night time is always a flash point what i do is try and distract myself in any way and up my fluids when i experience "head hunger", You have done really well so far so put this down to a blip, think of the money you have spent, think of how you felt pre surgery and think of how you would feel if you had to get your band taken out and go for a bypass instead. That's the kick you requested ha ha but i hope your 3rd fill will sort some things out for you. Just remember how good you feel when you see the weight falling you can do this and we are here to help you anytime you need us x

Hi LF...you are not alone :hug99:

I'm 3 months post banding and have only lost 31lb. I could make excuses, I've been ill this last 2 weeks but I don't exercise either and have found that those who do lose the lbs quicker.

I find it really difficult eating breakfast (I pre banding would never go without breakfast) and am finding the whole experience so much harder than I expected :sigh:

we shouldn't compare our wl to others but it's difficult not to. I don't feel like a complete failure yet, but could be doing better.

so, don't worry...I feel the same too :hug99:

Thank you Red.

I'm so annoyed with myself, Its not as though I'm even hungry.

I'm alone every evening as Oh works so I think its boredom.

I'll just have to get my head back in the right place

34lbs is great so be proud of that! I've had a bypass so can't help with any advice on bands or fills etc but i guess grazing is grazing regardless. Night time is always a flash point what i do is try and distract myself in any way and up my fluids when i experience "head hunger", You have done really well so far so put this down to a blip, think of the money you have spent, think of how you felt pre surgery and think of how you would feel if you had to get your band taken out and go for a bypass instead. That's the kick you requested ha ha but i hope your 3rd fill will sort some things out for you. Just remember how good you feel when you see the weight falling you can do this and we are here to help you anytime you need us x __________________
Thanks Allie
Hopefully the 3rd fill will help. For the moment I really need to get a grip and stop this nonsense.Its true nothing tastes as nice as losing the pounds feels.

Try grazing on things like soya "nuts" which you can get at Tesco or Asda. They are so incredibly dry that a handful will keep you full up for hours. They taste nice and are low in calories and quite good on protein. I also eat blueberries as you can have them by the side of the computer and eat like sweets. Also, someone put on a useful link about a sugarfree sweet company - can't remember who it was but the co. is on the internet.
Hope this is of some use to you, and as for the weight loss you are doing well - you are nearly "obese" instead of "morbidly so. I'm looking forward to the day I can say that! x

Hi - Firstly consider yourself told off :D

Right moving on - what you've described is a type of emotional eating, many people graze feed like this when watching TV or just out of bordom, or when they have nothing to do, if you really think about it you could probably identify the triggers, maybe a fav TV show or a certain time of the evening, personally i used to save up my goodies until something came on i was waiting for (classic emotional eating, i was happy as the program or film had come on and i associated eating with happy) - but the good thing is you've already identified that your doing it.
You need to find an alternative thing to take your mind away from food in the evenings, Nowdays i sit with my laptop on my lap while watching TV and browse the net, this takes my mind away from food ! thats my thing, you need to find something to occupy your mind and take it away from graze feeding !

Fixing whats in our heads and the way we think about food is probably the hardest thing, this is why self control diets dont work, you can be strong and hard with yourself to start, but its difficult to address and fix the emotional demons that made us fat in the first place !

Try grazing on things like soya "nuts" which you can get at Tesco or Asda. They are so incredibly dry that a handful will keep you full up for hours. They taste nice and are low in calories and quite good on protein. I also eat blueberries as you can have them by the side of the computer and eat like sweets. Also, someone put on a useful link about a sugarfree sweet company - can't remember who it was but the co. is on the internet.
Hope this is of some use to you, and as for the weight loss you are doing well - you are nearly "obese" instead of "morbidly so. I'm looking forward to the day I can say that! x

This is great advice, but what your suggesting is to swap bad foods for good, and continue a bad habbit..... this works for a while but old habbits creep back in, the good foods go out the window and the junk food slowly sneaks back in. You need to identify your emotional eating habbits, and address using techniques to stop yourself, even a rational thought or a post it note on the biscuit tin is enough to suggest DO I REALLY NEED THIS !

Thank you all so much. I will defo try the food you suggested Jenni.As you say SS its hard to maintain the self control we have in the beginning. I have been so happy with the weight loss so far as before surgery I could not lose even 1 pound.

I have to say coming on here has been so helpful, I have been duly kicked in the butt lol, and encouraged to behave like a person trying to lose weight. Thank you all for the support.

While I've been on here have not grazed at all !!!!
:break_diet::break_diet:

SS when I last spoke to the Dietian I told her I sometimes eat in the evening. She also suggested nuts, fruit. I think when I have the 3rd fill I will feel satisfied enough after dinner and wont be able to eat after that.

That's what happened after the last fills.I know I still have to address the emotional eating though

Don't beat yourself up - weight loss with bands is generally slow. It can take a few years to lose the weight, and it can take many fills to reach the elusive sweet spot. Bad habits and grazing? The only answer is willpower - and you do need a lot of it, but you have already lost a lot, so you are doing well...

Many bandsters feel disillusioned early on - they have the surgery, then big anti climax as not much happens - many gain! It takes time, so losing that much is great.

If you are struggling with the emotional side of eating, maybe try to see a counsellor or psychologist - they can be very helpful.

Thanks BF. It's always at the back of mind that I'll be that person that surgery does not work for. I have spent all my adult life trying to lose weight and want this to be an end to endless failure.

Sorry to go on, but so annoyed with myself this evening.

SS when I last spoke to the Dietian I told her I sometimes eat in the evening. She also suggested nuts, fruit. I think when I have the 3rd fill I will feel satisfied enough after dinner and wont be able to eat after that.

That's what happened after the last fills.I know I still have to address the emotional eating though

Thats great and i'm sure it will help to substitute high fat sugary foods for lower fat with less calories, but be aware that your on a calorie controlled diet (even though you have a band you have to watch calories) anything in addition to your daily allowance will obviously count against you - and remember there's calories in everything we eat good or bad !

i have been doing the seminars for new patients with my team, we advise snackers grazers not to be banded but bypassed as that suits the eating habbits life stlyes better, im sorry if im being harsh but thats how its is in reality bands do not suit snackers /grazers or emotional eaters, ppl ask me why did i chose a band rather than a bypass, i answer because i was a volume eater, i felt i needed large portions, i didnt so much graze snack between meals because my portions were huge and i wasnt hungry inbetween, yes i do snack from time to time but its very rare so thats why the bands worked for me, head hunger addiction to snacking is hard and changing those habbits takes dedication with banding but it can be over come with banding will power plays a big part if a snacker/grazer when banded.

sorry 4 the long winded post x

liz xxx

Last edited:
This is great advice, but what your suggesting is to swap bad foods for good, and continue a bad habbit..... this works for a while but old habbits creep back in, the good foods go out the window and the junk food slowly sneaks back in. You need to identify your emotional eating habbits, and address using techniques to stop yourself, even a rational thought or a post it note on the biscuit tin is enough to suggest DO I REALLY NEED THIS !

A fair point SS and probably better than mine. I think though that normal eaters have a bit of a snack.....but then again, none of us would be here if we were normal eaters I guess.

A fair point SS and probably better than mine. I think though that normal eaters have a bit of a snack.....but then again, none of us would be here if we were normal eaters I guess.

we are all food addicts in a sense its re learning how to eat from the perspective of all ops, its all major learning curve.

Try investing in a french manicure kit. then when the urge to hit the kitchen arrives get the tape stuck on, yr tips done and by then yr snookered as you have to wait for it to dry. then its the next coat and waiting for that too dry and so on.
I started doing this some years ago when i was board and found myself going to bed earlier and earlier and then being awake half the night and tired in the mornings. couldnt go to bed till it had dried properly. lol

I subcribe to one monthly magazine called pyscholgy similar to lighter magazine which is great and helps deal with the desire to behaviour in a unhealthy or destructive way.

Its hard work to change behaviour but thats the essence to long term change wish i could practice what i preach but there we go all learning on here .
good luck keep posting Mia

Back