• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Amount of calories it takes to loose weight

RoseMcnose

Hey, this is just some food for thought, each pound of fat is 3500 calories so to loose just 2 lbs a week, you need a deficit of 7000 calories a week. Given a sedentary life style has a Basel calorie rate of about 2000 calories a day, that means to loose 2 lbs a week, you have to be only consuming 1000 approx calories a day. Just goes to show the importance of exercise. No wonder I have struggled to loose weight!!!!!

Rant warning coming up which is not aimed at you Rose but i well and truly need to get this off my chest ....Well can you please explain to me where I am going wrong then? With a daily intake of just 750-850 cals a day and that's with a "brisk" half mile walk everyday this week (bear in mind please that I walk with crutches so this is an achievement for me!) I should have lost at least a further 3lb over the past 11 days but NO! I stand on the scales this morning to find I have gained!! Yes Gained 3lb!! P****d Doesn't even come close. I am awash with the intake of liquid that we are recommended to help us lose, my water tablets are just not removing any water retention i have at the moment and I'm in total despair! I am hoping that i can factor in stress as the past 10 days have indeed been stressful with my hubby facing redundancy once again, thankfully he has just heard his job is safe for now so I can relax a little. Forced myself to walk a little further today which the dog loved no end but I can feel what I can only describe as a tearing sensation behind my left knee :(... I think in my frustration I probably pushed it a little too far today :sigh:. ......:banghead::flamingmad: rant over x

Femfrankie. I know how u feel, we have all been there, far too many times!!!
Stress causes u to retain fluids.
Also if u are increasing ur exercise u will gain muscle! So that can also be a gain but defiantly a good gain!!! Because every bit of muscle u gain, the more fat u burn faster with that muscle.
I know ur stressing over it but try not to!!!!
I would advise u to give ur leg a rest and not go walking for a day or two because if u agrovate that leg any more you could end up setting your self back by weeks if it gets any worse.
Try ice or heat.
Have a look at the bigger picture!
How much have u lost to date!
Don't include ur gain because that will be gone next week!!!!! Xx

Rant warning coming up which is not aimed at you Rose but i well and truly need to get this off my chest ....Well can you please explain to me where I am going wrong then? With a daily intake of just 750-850 cals a day and that's with a "brisk" half mile walk everyday this week (bear in mind please that I walk with crutches so this is an achievement for me!) I should have lost at least a further 3lb over the past 11 days but NO! I stand on the scales this morning to find I have gained!! Yes Gained 3lb!! P****d Doesn't even come close. I am awash with the intake of liquid that we are recommended to help us lose, my water tablets are just not removing any water retention i have at the moment and I'm in total despair! I am hoping that i can factor in stress as the past 10 days have indeed been stressful with my hubby facing redundancy once again, thankfully he has just heard his job is safe for now so I can relax a little. Forced myself to walk a little further today which the dog loved no end but I can feel what I can only describe as a tearing sensation behind my left knee :(... I think in my frustration I probably pushed it a little too far today :sigh:. ......:banghead::flamingmad: rant over x

I hear you femfrankie, I have gained 1 lb this week. That's after similar calorie intake as you and four days walking 5 km with dog, dog knackered!!!

All I can say is stick with it, it has to come off soon!!!!!

Thankyou both. That's what I keep telling myself ..it's gotta come off sometime .. Surely?

Yep cb4 I'm doing the hot water bottle compresses as we speak and I'm not going to be doing the half a mile walks until Monday now. After I wrote this which was shortly after I was told hubby's job was one of the safer ones my water tablet decided to kick in .. Only 5 hours after I took it sheesh.. It's usually within the hour lol. Anyhoo this is the first time for over a week that I can say the fruesimide has worked so we will see what the scales say on Sunday. I hate it when my legs are all swishy washy lol.

Rose I am so glad I am not the only one... I am a control freak and the one thing I have never been able to do is control my own body lol... It's as obstinate as I am!. Maybe we are building muscle :) xx

Thankyou both. That's what I keep telling myself ..it's gotta come off sometime .. Surely?

Yep cb4 I'm doing the hot water bottle compresses as we speak and I'm not going to be doing the half a mile walks until Monday now. After I wrote this which was shortly after I was told hubby's job was one of the safer ones my water tablet decided to kick in .. Only 5 hours after I took it sheesh.. It's usually within the hour lol. Anyhoo this is the first time for over a week that I can say the fruesimide has worked so we will see what the scales say on Sunday. I hate it when my legs are all swishy washy lol.

Rose I am so glad I am not the only one... I am a control freak and the one thing I have never been able to do is control my own body lol... It's as obstinate as I am!. Maybe we are building muscle :) xx

If I am building muscle at that rate I will be giving Jodie marsh a run for her money in about six months time!!!!

Oh bigger, I have just had banana bread, I hate being such a good baker!!!

Because that equation is so flawed! We need a certain amount of calories to be able to actually burn fat as it is really hard for our body to break down. This is why when we go too far below our basal metabolic rate we don't lose weight after a quick burst - initially we lose a large amount of lean muscle mass and then the body doesn't have the energy to break down the fat as you're not giving it the calories.

But surely Yve after a time the body has no alternative but to burn those fat stores?? X

No, because it physically can't. It it goes too low damage starts to occur because it cannot function below a certain amount of calories. Those fat stores become inaccessble because your body cannot spare the energy to break it down into usable energy. My dietician explained all this to me.

So basically all food I am ingesting is getting stored because it can't be burned??..... Slightly different from someone who cannot eat at all due to famine say, as their intake is nothing of significance so therefore nothing can be stored so loss has to occur.

Now that makes sense... I think lol..... So for you Yve as a bypasser how do you healthily cram those cals into your tiny pouch when I can't physically do it without throwing up and all I have is a gastric balloon?? Xx

Last edited:
I eat whenever hungry and drink a lot of milky drinks :) Every meal is protein based, start with it and carbs and veg if I can fit it in. I can eat quite a large amount - almost a full sideplate, your pouch will get bigger - its designed to.

The food you're eating is not being stored - its being used to keep you alive BUT, you have lost the lean muscle you can afford to lose, but you've not got enough energy to burn the fat stores, which is what the body would do if it only had a small deficit.

Okay thanks for that Yve. I was losing wait steadily before the balloon and was eating about 1400 cals. It's only been since I have had the space hopper inserted that I have struggled to keep it up which obviously coincides with the dramatic drop in calorific input. I do concentrate on protein with minimal carbs and im sticking with what the dietician has told me to eat. Drinking loads but this bags me up very quickly and lasts for hours so when it's time to eat again I am still full, of liquid! I stupidly bought slimfast to try and up the protein & calories but was shocked by the amount of sugar in it! Im A Scot & im not throwing it away so I do use it but with a half measure lol. Okay so from tomorrow I am going to try and healthily up the intake and see how it goes. I will keep you posted :)

Take your time - and do the best you can - we are all so different post wls. But yes, personally i would lose nothing if I was eating as little as you are.

Wanted to say thanks for the info here its useful.

With your sore knee, try and elevate it above the level of the heart so eg lay on sofa or bed with it propped up, and try some gentle and comfortable compression support.

Xxx

Well clearly I'm not eating enough!!!! I'm in agony!! Troath is sore again!!!! I'm waiting on an appointment to have a lump removed from my troath! But I'm in bits!!!
I've swaped a protein shake at lunch for meat and I have managed to loose a bit more weight!
Although, I can bairly notice the balloon, only I have been eating less. But I can eat too much too.
I have not been sick since two days after the balloon has gone in. I hate getting sick so bad that I just always keep it down no matter what!
I hope to loose another 10.5 lb before the holiday in 31 days so fingers crossed :)
Sorry :) for having a moan :)

While slimfast is ok to maybe fill you up, its not necessarily that high in protein content in comparison to protein shakes. Yvessa is right. Too low calories is not always good. My best weight losses were on c 1100 calories a day and NO exercise. Even at 1400-1600 a day I can still lose, but I have worked hard at keeping protein levels high to boost the fat burning, and I reckon its boosted my metabolism too. Definitely the 3500 calories = lb is not the right calculation for my body since I've been a weightwatcher/dieter.

Okay so it's skimmed milky coffees all the way then .. And I have been avoiding them too hahaha. I am achieving 40-55 mg of lean protein at the moment but if I am having the extra latte's that should boost this up too. Hopefully it's a win win situation. .... Silly question though..Do you count milk as fluid or food?

Well clearly I'm not eating enough!!!! I'm in agony!! Troath is sore again!!!! I'm waiting on an appointment to have a lump removed from my troath! But I'm in bits!!!
I've swaped a protein shake at lunch for meat and I have managed to loose a bit more weight!
Although, I can bairly notice the balloon, only I have been eating less. But I can eat too much too.
I have not been sick since two days after the balloon has gone in. I hate getting sick so bad that I just always keep it down no matter what!
I hope to loose another 10.5 lb before the holiday in 31 days so fingers crossed :)
Sorry :) for having a moan :)

Moan away CB4. Sore throats are so debilitating and I suppose our low cal intake hasn't helped. Your body has enough to contend with without you starving it just at the point when it needs more protein to heal itself.
Meat is much better than a shake as it keeps you fuller for much longer ;).
I don't throw up so much either just as long as I avoid foods that stick or float (mainly fruit) and if i don't flood myself with fluid. I have never ever been a big drinker. Actually there were days, pre WLS journey, were I could manage on just 3 cups of tea a day. So this keep yourself hydrated lark is all a bit alien to me and my body :eek:..... Hope you feel better soon CB4 xx

Thanks femfrankie :) diying at the minute. The fybromyalgia is killing me Probly from exhaustion along with sore troath. Ouch ?
I was a big drinker pre balloon but not now. I don't have it in me to drink much at all.
But I will deffo have to up the drinks today, try flush this infection out of me.
It's so hard to know if its real pain or mostly Fybro pain!!!!!

Last thing fybro needs is muscle wastage so yes it is probably reacting to your body being in starvation mode... Well that's my take on it anyway. Take cure hun xx

Back