• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My surgery DATE!!!

Ana_RW

I feel like I have been waiting for surgery my whole life since this process has begun.

Since last having spoken to the co-ordinator at the hospital I have been impatiently waiting for a surgery date. I was advised it could be between july-august but they were concentrating on people who live in the area because of the Olympics. I presumed to myself it would be in October possibly but definitely this side of Christmas.
Every day for the last two weeks nearly I have been waiting for a letter to come through wit the date on but, nothing has arrived.
The morning of Monday 11th June I had a withheld number call me on my mobile. I didn't answer never do with private numbers. Then my landline rung too again private number so i let it go on to answer machine I heard "Hi Ana its Diane from homerton, can you please call me as soon as possible I have left a message on your mo...." I picked up, made up an excuse that I had not quite made it to the phone in time. She said to me that a date for surgery had come up and because i had done so well with weigthloss it would be the 25th of ju...( i thought she was going to say July!!) JUNE. The 25TH JUNE 2012!!!! I have an appointment of 11.10am for pre admission on the 22nd. I of course said yes that would be great. I was advised an email would be sent over with all bits i need. I accepted gladly and was happy. I told hubby and he was a bit taken aback. I then looked at the calendar again called my mum and she squealed with shock but was happy. Then, I burst into tears.

Why? I kept saying I wont die will I? I'm scared, I want it but I dont want to die. Hubby got a bit teary and hugged me and said I dont have to do it, I know I know I can pull out at the last minute. It's just so soon, I've been waiting so long and worked hard, and expected a date to be given more formally not just over the phone.

Shock. I think thats what it is, I text mum to say i cant stop crying and she called right away asked if I was ok, I said yes I think just shock its so soon.

I calmed a bit by lunchtime. I said to hubby this time next year I be slim, compared to what I am now and again cried, How long have I wanted that!! To be slim!

OH MY GOD!!! Monday June 25th 2012. The first day of the rest of my life!

After receiving the emails through I read over the pre-op diets. I selected the milk version - I am not keen on milk and when I have it I dont feel like eating. I started that the morning of the 12th - doing really well so far dont feel at all hungry, head-achey on the 2nd day but that went off, sickness on 3rd day but again gone off.
Turns out my pre-admissions appointment was actually the 11/06/12 not 22nd. So that was yesterday.
Pre-admissions. Checking my general health and that I am healthy for surgery. After a lot of waiting around getting ecg's, blood tests and other checks I was "approved" to commence with surgery.

The afternoon was a group session. This was all about the pre and post op. 3 out of 4 of us have started the pre-op diet and 1 hasn't yet. We were talking about receiving our dates over the phone and how soon it is lol.

I feel more ready than ever now. I have been advised on minimum time limits for the "eating" process after surgery. My question was if we stay on the liquid diet longer is that OK? Of course said the dietitian - as long as your getting the correct intake.
Me? Asking to stay on a liquid diet for longer lol! Well I never. Still I'm pleased with myself, I've finally managed to distinguish the difference between head hunger and actual hunger. I am appreciating the smell of food! I take pleasure in the smell of food at the moment and it has been satisfying me. I've not been tempted either!

I know its only been 5 days on the liquid pre-op diet but, I really did think I'd be struggling. I thought I'd be starving hungry and would be "cheating" but NO! I haven't been and I've not even once been tempted to cheat. Sure it's crossed my mind that "mmmm that smells good, just a little piece" but I keep it as a....shall we say "fantasy" lol. Soon I will eat and I WILL savor EVERY mouth full. No longer will food be a habit for me. I am going to keep it as a pleasure and really taste and actually eat what I put in my mouth. I am not just going to stuff it in without tasting it or appreciating what I have made or what has been made for me.

I am looking forward to starting my new life. I don't feel nervous, there aren't any niggling doubts. I am ready.

Best wishes and luck to everyone!!

great news not long to wait best of luck xx

Great news. I was on liquid diet forever as I had lots of allergies to the medications. In the end I had to start the whole liquid process again dispite being 6 weeks post op. the team said it was fine & monitored me closely. Now almost 4 months post op eating more foods & textures albeit very very small portions. Religious about getting my daily fluids. Good luck.

Thanks so much everyone!!

oh Ana thats amazing news!!!!! congratulations :) xxx

Brilliant news, I'm so happy for you :)
Em xxx

Thanks everyone! Cant wait to be there now!

Back