• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

9 months post surgery

LessofLisa

Hi Everyone, I've not been on for a while but am now 9 months post op and 8 stone down - from 19st 10lbs to 11st 10lbs. I've gone from a size 24/26 to a 14/16.

Obviously I'm chuffed and oh so thrilled!! Having the sleeve was the best thing I ever did.

On the negative side I've lost about 45% of my hair since the op - it started falling out 3 months after surgery - loads at a time :cry:However, fingers crossed, the hair loss has really slowed and hopefully it'll start to grow again - I love my hair!

I can now eat mostly what I want but still struggle with bread & potatoes but am not bothered about that at all. I can drink alcohol, lots of wine :) but have still not had any fizzy drinks.

One worry is that I can snack ad infinitum and not feel full up so I'm having to watch this as I have developed a sweet tooth. Has anyone else found that they've developed a sweet tooth post op?

Body image wise I still feel a BIG lady although many people tell me I'm not I can't change my 'brain' - I've been BIG for decades and that was me. This slim person is a stranger. Has anyone else felt like this?

One final issue is my saggy baggy skin - I hate it :mad: We went to Egypt in January and my body looked 75 whereas I'm 55!! Has anyone managed to have any cosmetic surgery done on the NHS?

Hope everyone on here is well.
Thanks

Wow that's such an amazing loss, well done. It's inspiring as your starting weight was similar to mine. What an achievement.

Well done on your loss you have done an amazing job im 5 months post op and have lost just 4st3lb but haven't lost weight in about 10 weeks and the reason is my sweet tooth which has increased since my op I have always liked choc/cake but now I would sooner have that than a proper meal which is not good as I didn't have this operation to still make the wrong choices so its a daily battle still so your not alone x x

Wow that's such an amazing loss, well done. It's inspiring as your starting weight was similar to mine. What an achievement.

Thank you Smallerme. You've done extremely well since your op and you'll soon be catching me up. Can ?I ask if you have had any hair loss?

Well done on your loss you have done an amazing job im 5 months post op and have lost just 4st3lb but haven't lost weight in about 10 weeks and the reason is my sweet tooth which has increased since my op I have always liked choc/cake but now I would sooner have that than a proper meal which is not good as I didn't have this operation to still make the wrong choices so its a daily battle still so your not alone x x

I can empathise about your wanting sweet things rather than a proper healthy meal.
What have your medical team said about you not losing any weight for 10 weeks? My weight loss has slowed right down now but I was still losing weekly when I was at your stage. Mind you we all lose weight at different rates. You'll likely drop a good few pounds in one go.
I'm trying to satisfy my sugar cravings with low fat dessert yoghurts and tell myself I'm actually eating apple crumble, raspberry meringue etc.
Good luck!

wow what an amazing weight loss !! mine isn't shifting that fast and I never drink alcohol nor eat anything with sugar in grrrrrr mind you I am lucky as have not got the excess skin and I too am 55, the hair loss is there though so I just chopped it very short and now it isn't as noticeable, good luck with your long term plan x

wow what an amazing weight loss !! mine isn't shifting that fast and I never drink alcohol nor eat anything with sugar in grrrrrr mind you I am lucky as have not got the excess skin and I too am 55, the hair loss is there though so I just chopped it very short and now it isn't as noticeable, good luck with your long term plan x

Not having the excess skin is great!! The hair loss is not so good but like you I had mine cut shorter but it's the thickness I miss :cry:

Hi Lisa, I am going to darlington too, seminar is 8th april. How did you find it, I think I will be with Mr Samier. You could try Chlorella for the hair thing, its a natural supplement with loads of vits and minerals(tastes like grass but hey ho) but when I used to take it regularly all my pmt went my skin hair and nails were fab, in fact why aren't I taking it now!!! :D

If you're craving sweets/chocolate more now than you were before your procedure, you're body may be telling you that you're deficient in something.

If you crave this: Chocolate
What you really need: Magnesium
Healthier alternatives: Raw nuts and seeds, legumes, fruits

If you crave this: Sweets
What you really need: Chromium
Healthier alternatives: Broccoli, grapes, cheese, dried beans, calves liver, chicken
What you really need: Carbon
Healthier alternatives: Fresh fruits
What you really need: Phosphorus
Healthier alternatives: Chicken, beef, liver, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes, grains
What you really need: Sulfur
Healthier alternatives: Cranberries, horseradish, vegetables, kale, cabbage
What you really need: Tryptophan
Healthier alternatives: Cheese, liver, lamb, raisins, sweet potato, spinach

Just a thought, we're not getting these things as easily now so it can't hurt. :)
Good Luck! :D

Thanks for that Jenna but my Doc has tested to see if I'm deficient in anything but everything came back normal........ likely I'm just being a piggy

Hi Lisa, I am going to darlington too, seminar is 8th april. How did you find it, I think I will be with Mr Samier. You could try Chlorella for the hair thing, its a natural supplement with loads of vits and minerals(tastes like grass but hey ho) but when I used to take it regularly all my pmt went my skin hair and nails were fab, in fact why aren't I taking it now!!! :D

Hi Kim,
I actually had my sleeve done at Sunderland hospital. I would've loved to have had it at the Memorial in Darlington but they weren't doing the op there then so I went on the Sunderland waiting list. When they did start at Darlington I asked to be swapped to there but was told that if I did that I'd go to the bottom of the list and I'd been on the Sunderland list for 2 years. Long story short I stayed with Sunderland.
Sunderland are apparently a "centre for excellence" for bariatric surgery. My surgeon was wonderful but the after care has been ***t. I've only had one phone call from them in 9 months and no appointments. My GP is great and has been doing everything she can.
Enjoy the seminar and last I heard the list at Darlington is much shorter than Sunderland so everything crossed for you.
Thanks for the chlorella tip!

Back