• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hunger pains

luckyla

I had my sleeve done on 21/05/2011.
I read up a lot beforehand on what to expect. I'm aware that they take the hormone 'ghrelin' away with the excess stomach. This is what gives you your appetite.
I'm concerned as I've read that lots of fellow sleevers don't feel hungry afterwards. My appetite has come back and I still get a rumbling, hungry tummy.
I'd really appreciate knowing if anyone else still feels hungry? Losing my appetite was the part I was most looking forward to, but so far it doesn't seem to have worked with me.

Hi Luckyla, I can totally relate to you. I had my op 19/05/2011. I had a gastric bypass - not sure if this is the same as what you had done - and I also feel hungry!!!! This is very annoying as I too was looking forward to the no hunger part of the op. I also get a rumbling tummy. I really dont think that it is head hunger, my tummy really feels empty. When I spoke to my doc and Dietitian they were both surprised and the Dietitian said that when I moved onto more solid food it would get better, but I have been on the pureed diet for a week now and it has not improved. I wonder if anyone went through this and now has less of an appetite?

Hi Kim

Thanks for your reply :)
It would be nice to have to force myself to eat! Still, I'm making good progress with my weight loss so it's not all bad ;-)
It's comforting to know I'm not the only one feeling hungry!

Hi there, how much have you lost so far? I've lost 7kg (15 lbs). I suppose this is better than nothing :).

Cheers,
Kim

I'm 3 weeks post gastric bypass and have had hunger in the mornings when I first wake up. I'm pretty certain the rest of it is just head hunger though. A few seconds ago I remembered I have some quiche in the fridge and had a massive craving for it. Then I 'listened' to my stomach and realised it feels nice and full from the tomato soup I had an hour ago. I'd still like that quiche, just for the taste, but I don't need it.
The gurgling may well be just wind. I've had that really bad ever since the op.

Kimk said:
Hi there, how much have you lost so far? I've lost 7kg (15 lbs). I suppose this is better than nothing :).

Cheers,
Kim

I've lost 2st 1lb in three weeks which I'm really pleased with :)

yorkiegal said:
I'm 3 weeks post gastric bypass and have had hunger in the mornings when I first wake up. I'm pretty certain the rest of it is just head hunger though. A few seconds ago I remembered I have some quiche in the fridge and had a massive craving for it. Then I 'listened' to my stomach and realised it feels nice and full from the tomato soup I had an hour ago. I'd still like that quiche, just for the taste, but I don't need it.
The gurgling may well be just wind. I've had that really bad ever since the op.

I'm sure you're right that some of it is head hunger rather than actual hunger. Prior to having my op I was already taking lansoprazole for acid reflux. This may also have something to do with the rumbling tummy?

Hi I'm nearly 6 months post op I had mr sleeve on the 17 th jan
I know how u feel I felt the same but when u go on to solid food it will get better u will feel the differance, I did I thought they didn't do me properly lol
Todate i've lost 4 stone 7lb so it does work. Maybe ur not eating enough protein just an idea.
Good luck on your journey xx

Hi

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic!
When you say it's better once you have solid food I presume you mean after 8 weeks when I'll be back onto "normal" food? At the moment I'm only on stage 2 (pureed).

luckyla said:
Hi

Congratulations on your weight loss! That's fantastic!
When you say it's better once you have solid food I presume you mean after 8 weeks when I'll be back onto "normal" food? At the moment I'm only on stage 2 (pureed).

Hi ya yeah get through this bit and u will notice the differance I did I can only still eat small portions and I now have to make the right choices or I dint lose anything good luck

What do you eat in a typical day?
Also, have you been out socially to eat/drink? If so, how did you find it?

Please remember not to confuse the rumbling feelings of digestion with feelings of hunger. They can feel the same.
Its all going to be great soon, try not to worry so much.
Lynne x

my hunger was like a hollow, empty feeling. My sleeve also liked growling at me! So it wasnt hunger as i knew before, but i knew it meant it was time to eat. 4 months on, i get the feeling of being peckish, but never that raging hunger feeling i used to have x

Early days yet as said when you get onto more solids you will feel better.Please dont be in awe of 'not wanting to eat'Its very hard to deal with and I struggle sometimes.Its also a bit scary!

Hi

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't think I'd ever be really hungry again after my op from what I'd read. However, I do think some of this is head hunger? Looking at the tiny amounts I'm eating, thinking that they can't possibly fill me up! I'm sure things will settle down in time :)

Back