• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another milk diet query

Nixon

Hi everyone,

Another milk diet query for all of you.

I'm booked for a sleeve early November in Brno. I have asked if I need to go on a pre-op diet, and have been told it is not necessary due to my bmi being around 35, however they did recommend reducing sugar, fat etc in the two weeks prior to the date.

So me being me, have decided to do the milk diet in an attempt to help shrink my liver to help aid surgery.

I was planning on starting two weeks before, however due to a poor attempt at maths, I have bought 14 litres of milk this week, and I have 3 weeks to go.

So, my question is, can I do the milk diet for 3 weeks?

I've seen different liver shrinking diets, some have high protein meats in them, and some have just milk, bovril, and sf jelly. Is there a downside to me having the occasional chicken, or beef instead of milk for the odd day?

Thank you :)

I did the LSD for 3 weeks before to get motivated. I didn't do the milk diet but did the 600 cal a day one. It doesn't matter which you do but the idea is to soften the liver..cut out the sugar and crap basically. I enjoyed it, it got me ready for the process and I had a very low bmi.

So I've been doing it for about a week now, and not finding it too bad really. I've had the off day with some actual food, but from now on will really go to town with the milk. Currently have a fridge full of milk, so it is my mission to drink all of it by the weekend.

I'm also now taking the tablets for acid reflux, as well as multivitamin, omega 3, magnesium, and vitamin C supplements. Two weeks to go :D

You're doing well lad. :) I read on here that you can interchange a food LRD diet with the milk one on different days, but don't mix the two on the same day. I found it did get easier as I went on (did mine for 2 weeks) as you can see the weight coming off, plus as you get nearer to surgery date you realise you don't want the risk of being opened and sewed up again straight away because your liver is too big! It certainly helped me get in the mindset for the liquid diet that followed...

I did it for four weeks :) it can be done - just try and stick to it the best that you can
Hiya, just seen the thread and thought I would pick your brains re. Milk diet if you don't mind.

Apart from milk & lovely bovril, did you have water and or lights yoghurts?

Going to do milk diet for the final 2 weeks before op, but just wondered if skinny lattes and a bovril are the limit, or can I add in water with NAS squash and a muller light per se.

So I've been doing it for about a week now, and not finding it too bad really. I've had the off day with some actual food, but from now on will really go to town with the milk. Currently have a fridge full of milk, so it is my mission to drink all of it by the weekend.

I'm also now taking the tablets for acid reflux, as well as multivitamin, omega 3, magnesium, and vitamin C supplements. Two weeks to go :D

Nixon
Not heard from you for ages. How are you doing? Keen to hear what you're managing now & weight loss etc

Hiya, just seen the thread and thought I would pick your brains re. Milk diet if you don't mind.

Apart from milk & lovely bovril, did you have water and or lights yoghurts?

Going to do milk diet for the final 2 weeks before op, but just wondered if skinny lattes and a bovril are the limit, or can I add in water with NAS squash and a muller light per se.
You can have nas squash, water and diet fizzy drinks. I didn't have yoghurts but I know some plans allow it x

I was allowed so many yogurts a day on my plan and also had to have a minimum of 2 lts of fluid so water or nas squash as well as the milk. @JOHNG79 has your team not provided you with a diet list or booklet? Mine gave me a really useful booklet with everything I needed to know including a list of acceptable yogurts and a full explanation about why I needed to do the diet which was a godsend to keep referring back to :)
Happy New Year everyone too and @Nixon I hope you are ok x

I was allowed so many yogurts a day on my plan and also had to have a minimum of 2 lts of fluid so water or nas squash as well as the milk. @JOHNG79 has your team not provided you with a diet list or booklet? Mine gave me a really useful booklet with everything I needed to know including a list of acceptable yogurts and a full explanation about why I needed to do the diet which was a godsend to keep referring back to :)
Happy New Year everyone too and @Nixon I hope you are ok x
hi I'm doing the milk diet at the moment and I'm on day3 I have to do this for4 weeks so I have 4 pints of milk then I have 1 bovril and 2 light yougets a day I'm I doing right because they didn't give me any booklet or instructions I'm new and I have had one appointment with luton and dunstable hospital with the dietitian I go back on the 14th Feb to see obesity nurse and on 27th of Feb to see the anethatist they have put me on tier 3 so have a long journey what do I have to do to get to stage4

Hey @sandra overton I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, only your team can do that. Even patients at the same hospital have different journeys but I wish you the best of luck. I do think it's short sighted not give you details of the LRD in writing because we do get anxious and want to make sure we are doing it right. Writing it down would really help!

How are you feeling on the diet? A lot of people in the past have said the first 4 days are the worst and then they started to feel a lot better. I was lucky enough to feel great the whole time on mine which was 11 days pre op because I didn't have to think or worry about food which was a real relief. Hopefully you will find it a useful experience x

Hey @sandra overton I'm afraid I can't answer your questions, only your team can do that. Even patients at the same hospital have different journeys but I wish you the best of luck. I do think it's short sighted not give you details of the LRD in writing because we do get anxious and want to make sure we are doing it right. Writing it down would really help!

How are you feeling on the diet? A lot of people in the past have said the first 4 days are the worst and then they started to feel a lot better. I was lucky enough to feel great the whole time on mine which was 11 days pre op because I didn't have to think or worry about food which was a real relief. Hopefully you will find it a useful experience x
yes I'm feeling better it is day 4 into it. I didn't think I could do it i looked horrified when the dietitian said it because I haven't drank milk for 11 years but I really want to do this I'm now diabetic type 2 obstruction sleep apenea and c.o.p.d I am a bit disappointed that I am tier 3 because it's a long journey to the end goal to surgery I have 2 appointments next month the nurse and the anethatist what happens after that does anybody know please

Hi, I've had my first appointment at the L&D with the dietician where I got weighed and got given my pack. She said about the milk diet which I need to do from my next appointment. I must admit I am a bit worried about it, being hungry. But I am reading that in addition to milk you can have yoghurt and jelly? What do I expect in the weeks to come? X

Hi, I've had my first appointment at the L&D with the dietician where I got weighed and got given my pack. She said about the milk diet which I need to do from my next appointment. I must admit I am a bit worried about it, being hungry. But I am reading that in addition to milk you can have yoghurt and jelly? What do I expect in the weeks to come? X
I have been the milk diet now for 13 days lost 5lb it gets easier after day 4 I m not allowed youghurts but allowed 1 tò2 bovril and sugarfree jelly you will be fine

I've now got my appointment to go back and see the consultant. What do they talk about? I also have another appointment to see the psychiatrist as I have a history of depression. But after my first appointment I had blood tests. Is this what they go through?

Hi, I am at L&D and had my 1st appointment in Dec 2016 and just had my second appointment and have got to do the milk diet for the next 4 weeks as there was no real problems with the blood test results. Like you have psychiatrist appointment in a couple of weeks as also suffered from depression.
I am just taking it one small step at a time.

Hi I'm with L and D, 7 months into my year assessment, I lost 8 kilo on the milk diet and it's not really too bad, it does at least remove food choices, I used to make a 'chicken soup' with a large mug of hot milk and 2 chicken oxo cubes Mmmmmm delicious I also used some of my allowance to make a nas milk jelly, use 7f fluid ounces of boiling water to dissolve the crystals and when cool top up to pint with milk leave to set and enjoy, in my opinion raspberry was best, good luck and keep in touch with us, no yogurts allowed with L and D but all hospitals are different

I've now got my appointment to go back and see the consultant. What do they talk about? I also have another appointment to see the psychiatrist as I have a history of depression. But after my first appointment I had blood tests. Is this what they go through?

Hi RileysMummy everyones journey to Surgery is different and unique to them. So as long as you take that into consideration. My Bariatric Journey Thread may be of interest to you, I don't think it is any dissimilar to what others experience on their PreOP route to Surgery.
Good Luck
NigelG

Back