• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another New-bee!

PurpleKylie22

Hi,
I already posted my first post, but then noticed this one so thought I would introduce myself here properly! I am 25 and 297lbs had weight poblems since I was younger and defo use food as comfort. I am addicted to coca-cola and I know I need to give it up, Im trying tea but dont feel grown up enough to drink it too often ;) I have been on Oralistat and tried various diets but my weight just goes up.

I am about to make my first doctors appointment to broach the subject of surgery. I am planning to take a list of things that I feel are weight related, like my back/hip pain, numbness I get when still / sleeping, breathing problems when I lie down e.t.c but, is there anything else I should take with me?

Also - how do I post an avatar? For so long I have always just had ones of my head and removed my upper arms as I am too embarressed, but I feel here is probabily a safe place so wanted to post a proper one!

hiya and welcome to the forum, everybody is really nice on here and you are safe.
Good luck with your doctor, check on the bospa website first for the criteria in your area to make sure you fit it. With whats happening with the goverment at the min the reigns are being tightened.
Just tell your doc everything you can, some dr are supportive and some are not unfortunately. Good luck xxx

They dont have my area there as I am in Scotland but I have a BMI of 51 and I have tried Oralistat via my former doctor, so I think I am at least on the way to qualifying in most areas. There is a lack of surgerys on Scotland with most of them being performed in Glasgow so I think they are trying to do more up here so hopefully, I will get lucky. As the NHS gets worsein England it seems to be improving in Scotland- were down to £3 perscriptions now too!

Hi PurpleKylie and welcome to the site.

I do hope you get on well with the discussion with your GP.
Have you be tested for diabetes and sleep apnoea? Obesity puts us at risk of both of these conditions and its worhwhile asking to be tested.

It may be worthwhile t try to book a 'double' appointment with your GP to ensure you have plenty of time for a long chat. That's what I do when I need a long discussion.

Posting an avatar is quite easy (if you're computer literate LOL : my son did mine for me yesterday!), just go onto user CP and it you will see the link on the left hand side.

Yes, you are quite safe here. Be youself and join in, it's lovely to have you!

Hi and welcome. You've had some great advice already. I think you need at least 20 posts before you can add an avatar, and 50 posts before you can do PMs and 100 before you have access to the Bronze diaries etc. You need to get posting! Good luck with your Dr.

Thank you John, I did wonder as it looked so simple but then I get to edit avatar and it doesnt show what I expected!
I was tested for my thyroid once but that was all, I will ask about the others.
I didnt ask about a double app, the doctors surgery there is really nosey and if you ring them for any appointment the recpetionist asks you why you want an app, If you dont want to answer, you dont see the doctor you have to see the nurse instead. Urgh I kinda really dont like it there! I hope the doctor is nice! lol

firstly hello and welcome
i know what you mean but it was my nurse practioner who i saw first and has helped me go forward and push my application with the support from my gp just try and keep positive and dont take no for an answer just keep telling them you need help you may have to jump through some hoops to get there but you will

:welcome2:Hi and welcome to this forum i really hope you get all the help and support you need.Good luck with your wls journey.Marie.

I just got an e-mail back from NHS Grampian they say;

"The initial criteria for consideration for bariatric surgery is patients with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of over 40 with type 2 diabetes, or patients with a BMI over 60. Patients cannot be referred directly for bariatric surgery, and firstly require to complete medical, dietetic and psychological assessment. Some patients may then be referred for surgical and anaesthetic assessment and if these stages are all satisfactorily completed, the patient will be assigned a place on the surgical list."

A BMI of over 60??? I am 51 :( Wow this sucks. Thats kinda rediculus, right? Think Im gonna go cry now...

Wow, 60 seems very high, are you sure you have no comorbidities? Have you been tested for sleep apnoea or diabetes? Dont give up yet, ask you GP to test you for these things. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes earlier this year and I didnt know I had it......try and stay positive X

Well, list of things I suffer from that "might" be obesity related;
Numb arms when sleeping and numb arms or legs if I sit still for any length of time, occasional chest pain - breathing probs when sleeping, very sore back and hip pain constantly, sore / achy knees and ankles, headaches almost constantly. But I dont know if any of these are classed as "co-morbidities"
I will speak to my doctor anyway and ask them to run diabeties tests and see

Well, list of things I suffer from that "might" be obesity related;
Numb arms when sleeping and numb arms or legs if I sit still for any length of time, occasional chest pain - breathing probs when sleeping, very sore back and hip pain constantly, sore / achy knees and ankles, headaches almost constantly. But I dont know if any of these are classed as "co-morbidities"
I will speak to my doctor anyway and ask them to run diabeties tests and see

If you have problems sleeping then you may have sleep apnea. I would get your GP to refer you to a sleep clinic for a test. Sleep apnea is a co-morbidity that could help you swing it.
HTH.

Hello and welcome! I noticed you have breathing problems when sleeping also. If you do a google search for 'sleep apnoea test' there is a simple quiz you can give yourself and it marks it and gives you a likelihood of having sleep apnoea, if you do this you can go forward and tell your gp about it. Also book in for a 'fasting' blood test with your practice nurse for a diabetes test, it's the one time in your life you want to have a serious illness. Don't worry if you have none of the classic signs of diabetes such as thirst/tiredness etc as i had none of these before i was diagnosed.......... If it was me i'd have these tests done before i booked an appt with the gp and when you ring and book a double appt you can say you wish to discuss your recent tests with him as well as other 'personal' issues!

Good luck and never lose the fight xx

Apparently I scored a 9 on the Epsworth test and high risk on the berlin test. so I will print it off and take with me.
My doctor doesnt really let you book in for your own tests, so if I go see the doctor, but I dont eat anything since the night before... maybe they can do the starvation one straight away and then I can get both the tests done and discuss it with her then go back to discuss it all together properly and get a double app then?
Thank you guys, I was really upset when I saw earlier that they are bmi of 60+. I have never ever wanted to be ill before, but if I do have either of these maybe I can get it all sorted. :D

Hello and welcome i haven't been on this site for long and already have vad some good advice,it's a great site

Keeley, that is a very interesting idea thank you, I occasionally suffer from a temperary blurreyness in my eyes which I have always put down to the fact that my perscription is so high -6 / -6.25 Alougth the idea of a spinal tap sounds really painful so I doubt I will push for it, but I will defo mention it. Thank you

Hello and welcome, I am fairly new on here too keep posting and reading.........................

Back