• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Start :)

JoannaN89

Hello everyone!

So I joined a few days ago and have been reading some peoples posts/diaries and thought I would make a thread as I find you all so supportive and incrediable to one another!

Okay, so I am Joanna, im 27.
Years ago I was severly depressed and put on ALOT of weight through eating rubbish. I then decided it was time to loose it, and kept trying but failing.
I went to the doctor as I was trying to loose weight and nothing was happening. At first he fobbed me off trying to blame my Epilepsy tablets for my non weight loss ( been epileptic my whole life, not horrific, very controlled by meds).
After a couple more doctors, someone actually listened to me and refferred me for a scan, turns out I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

So roll on a few years, nothing much has changed and apart from gaining weight. My PCOS symptoms were becoming quite bad and I was getting really down about them - they are so unfemine! Excess hair etc.
My husband says it doesn't bother him but it bothers me so I went to the doctors. To cut a long story short the only real way to reduce PCOS symtoms is to loose weight, but PCOS makes it hard to loose weight. There are medication for PCOS but I cannot have any of them as they interact with my Epilepsy medication (something that I am definatl not changing, well too risky!)
I took a food diary with me and overall my diet isn't that bad - I calorie count Monday-Friday (rarely go over 1800 kcal) plus I walk to work and back which is 45 mins each way. So that's at least 1.5 hours walking a day, plus I have an active job & do fitness DVDs!

Anyway I am rambling so my GP decided to refer me to the surgery programme as we decided I could never loose the amount of weight I need to just by dieting & exercising otherwise it would be working.

Waited a few months then got my starter pack for my induction. I know different hospitals have different processes. I am currently on tier 3. To be even included to tier 4 you have to complete at least 4 out of 6 education sessions - I have my 6th one booked in October and then I am done. Plus they like it if you can loose 5% of your body weight.
Started that in Jan 2016, saw the consultant, dietician and physio who all gave me good advice. Been completing my education sessions well and then waited for my 6 month check up with the consultant.

That was yesterday. Now I was very disheartened as I put on 6lbs since I last saw him in January, despite all the exercise, calorie counting I do, but he was very good at reassuring me that is why I am on the programme cause I struggle to loose weight. He says he is impressed with my commitment and to just keep trying to loose the weight until I see him on 9th Jan 2017 when we an discuss what surgery would be best for me.

So that is where I am upto right now.
Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes from starting tier 4 until actual surgery?

I am SO sorry that this is so long!
Please don't feel like you have to comment - it even helps me just typing this :)

Have a nice evening!
Joanna xxx

Hello and welcome!

Hi and welcome. Sorry I can't help. I have no clue about the NHS programs but hopefully you will get all the information you need soon. Good luck

Hi

The problem is that each area is different. For me i was referred direct to tier 4 in January and I am about to be put on the nhs waitlist (after group session, consultant, psychologist, group dietician and individual dietician appointments) which is currently around 9 months - so that would be 15 months approx from GP referral, approx 12 months from first hospital appointment.

However, it may be quicker in your area once you see your consultant in January. Where are you in the country? Someone from the same area may be able to help more.

Thank you for your replies :)

I am in Surrey, under the Ashford & St Peters hospital.

Hope you all have a good day! Xxx

Hello and welcome. I had my sleeve on the NHS after completing the tier 3 programme which took 18 months rather than a year because the provider changed. Some parts of the programme were standard and some parts I chose specifically so they were what I needed. Add to that the fact that everywhere does it differently the only people who can really answer your questions are your team I'm afraid. But stick around, we're very friendly and supportive ;)

Hi Joanna.

As you have probably started to realise, the waiting time for surgery if different depending on where you live, and also the hospital.
It took me 9 months from entering tier 4 to be approved for surgery, and then another 4 months before my surgery date (it's actually this Tuesday coming! I'm telling everyone!)

I too have PCOS and understand your struggles with the weight loss. I found the only thing that really helped was to really cut back (or cut out where possible) carbohydrates, as these are broken down by the body into sugar. Your body then releases insulin to deal with the sugar, but us girls with PCOS can't deal with insulin so our bodies stores it as fat, instead of processing it properly, hence the weight gain. The only time I have ever lost a significant amount of weight on my own was by cutting out carbs - but pasta is just to yummy, so it never stuck!

I wish you all the best on your journey. Everyone is so brilliant and supportive - you are in good company.

Gemma x

Hello! Thank you all for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it. I find it hard talking about this to people that arent or havent gone through it so thank you again :)

Wow Gemma, thats long! Maybe im just being naive in thinking it will be abot quicker as Tier 3 was for 12 months! Guess i shall find out in Janurary.
Good luck for your surgery! What type are you having?

For now just trying to keep loosing this weight!

Joanna xxx

Hi!

I have my tier 4 appointment in April to see surgeon, anaesthetist and dietician. After that go to MDT then onto the waiting list. I think surgery will be between aug-october hopefully.

How are you?

Joanna xxx

Hi!

I have my tier 4 appointment in April to see surgeon, anaesthetist and dietician. After that go to MDT then onto the waiting list. I think surgery will be between aug-october hopefully.

How are you?

Joanna xxx
Good luck to you. I have been attending Luton hospital since Last June and have my MDT appointments on 7 March when I hope to finally get on the waiting list for surgery. As others have said every area is different. Good luck again xxxx

Back