• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

not another newbie.....!

bakedbeanleg

fat fighter!
Hi there, I'm Carly and ive got my first consultation with the hospital group this sat for gastic banding!!

Bit about me, Im 27 and have struggled with my weight since i can remember. I am currently 16stone 6, but a few years ago I was 20 stone, and managed to lose 8 stone through lipotrim (shakes) and since eating normal food again, my weight is just gradually creeping up again! Im desperate not to get back to 20 stone again :(

Just wondered if anyone else has had surgery through THG, I have a provisional date for surgery pencilled in for the 13/02/10 with Mr Super (I'm hoping he's not just Super by name...)

I have quite a physically demanding job, how long do you think i would really need off from work, I currently have 2 and half weeks booked off at moment, but really reluctant to ask for more time off, as i dont want anyone at work to know im going for the surgery- obviously i'll ask the question at my consult, but a rough guide would be really useful!

thanks you guys... and hi!:)

Hi carly welcome along x

Hi Carly and :welcome: to WLS, I cant answer your question as Im a bypasser but I know there are quite a few people here who went privately so Im sure someone will be along soon to help :D XX

Welcome & Good luck Xx

Hello I did look at the hospital group but wasnt to impressed they seem to just want your money but in saying that I know My Super is supposed to be brill as he works for the healthier weight centre that I am going to see. Suppose as long as your consultant is good thats the main thing!!! Good luck with it all x x

Hi Carly,

I'm Léonie and I'm with the Hospital Group also. Mine's Jan 17th so can't help with post op questions just yet,but will be able to soon! I'm only actually having 4 days off work which is a bit of a risk but have no other choice else i wait for another 6 months which is not happening!I think you'll be fine with 2 and a half weeks hun

I'm also with Paul Super - I've done some research he's quite renound for these types of surgeries so i don't have any worries in terms of that.

I just wanted to say hi really as there aren't many banders on here so good to share your journey..

I'm currently on my 2nd day of pre op liver shrinking diet..bored of milk already!!

Let me know how you get on in your consultation..where abouts in the UK are you going?

Hi good luck you'll be fine and it will change your life but remember it takes time and is not easy but worth the hard work
Good luck

hi welcome to wls surgery hun = im pre op waiting for a bypass good luck on finding your answers hun xxx

Hi Carly & Leonie - Glad to see you are joining our bunch of banders on here!

I had my lap band fitted on October 12th last by Paul Super at The Hospital Group.

He is an excellent surgeon; so have no fears on that score!

I found the nursing staff excellent also, they could`nt have been better. As good as anywhere I would say!

I know a few years ago this hospital had a reputation for taking your money, then ignoring you........ but I don`t believe that is the case now.

I had a follow - up appointment within 6 weeks to see the dietician, (very approachable lady) and for an x-ray band fill.
I have found them all to be very proffesional, and if I have any real problems I know I could phone up and someone would deal with it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask; in a few weeks you will be squeezing along the losers bench with the rest of us here.

There is no end of information, help and support on this forum; if you need any help - just ask!

Take care hun x

Love Kat x

thanks everyone! Leonie, good luck with your op- it wont be long now...! I live near to the sheffield clinic, but obviously hopefully having the op at birmingham.
kat thanks for your reply, how has the weight loss been going for you? how did you find the first few weeks post op?
Carly x

Hi Carly and welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but I've cetainly heard of Dr Super. Just to correct something someone else said:

actually there are plenty of banders on here who've done very well and have an absolute wealth of experience. Have a look at Neen's thread:
'We can do it too' which is aimed specifically at help and advice for banders.
I'm a bypasser but that doesn't matter: we're all here to help each other!
Grace xxx

thanks everyone! Leonie, good luck with your op- it wont be long now...! I live near to the sheffield clinic, but obviously hopefully having the op at birmingham.
kat thanks for your reply, how has the weight loss been going for you? how did you find the first few weeks post op?
Carly x

Hi again Carly - I had my op at the Birmingham hospital. My weight loss has been a bit hit and miss really, I lost 11lbs on the milk diet originally, and started to lose a little after the op, very slow progress. Had my first band fill in November; but dissapointed with it, as after a week started getting hungry again. Seemed to stay the same for ages; one week I would lose a pound then stayed the same for a few weeks; I was getting pretty fed up with it, so rang my dietician.

Pam -dietician seemed to think I needed another fill as my first wasn`t doing its job as well as it should have. She has made me an appointment for next week to see her and also to have my fill. Let you know in time how it goes.

I think whatever type of surgery you have it takes a lot of effort on your part; and to not rely too much on the device - but try and stick with the diet you are set and stick within the boundaries.

I was off work initially after having the op for 10 days; after 4/5 days I could drive again. You do feel tired at first and a bit sore and windy for a few days; but that soon passes, listen to your body, you will soon know if you are overdoing it!

Good Luck Carly - Hope everything goes well for you with your surgery and you have a good recovery.

Take care

Love Kat x

Went to my consult today, which was really helpful and definately going to go ahead with the band on the 13th feb... Really scared now cos its actually going to happen!! Just got to find the courage to tell my friends, since I've kept it all a bit of a secret up to now in the event that I couldn't have it done for some reason!

You dont have to tell them, lots of people dont. Its entirely up to you...Im sure you will do whats right for you :D Dont be too nervous try and focus on all the positives the op will bring you :D XX

Thanks jacqui, think I'll tell my closest friend, because she'll know somethings suss the moment I don't pile my plate like a mountain...! Other than that I think I'll keep it on the down-low!

Back