• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another newbie

Emz

Hello, after lurking for the longest time i decided it was time i came out of the closet (so to speak) and post.

I've lost weight on ww, slimming world, aitkins and numerous other diets but always put it back on and then some. As i'm sure most of you will know from personal experience.

I did manage to lose 5 stone on cambridge in late 2005/6 but didn't go through maintenance and then got broody again. I was nearly at goal and finally starting to be happier with my weight when i conceived. The weight crept back on during pregnancy and since, plus another 3.

I'm off to the docs tomorrow to see if he'll put me forward for funding for a gastric bypass. I think though, my pct require you to have tried reductil or xenical before considering bypass or banding.

After spending most of my life being on or failing a diet enough is enough!! I need to lose 9 stone and feel this is the only way left for me.

Any tips for the docs tomorrow??

Your strories have been truelly(sp) inspirational and i hope to be joining you on the losing side soon.

Emz

Welcome Emz. Pretty new here myself but everyone is so supportive. when i went to my dr i just went asking for help with my weight. He refered me to the weight management clinic at hope with the view of going back on lipotrim. I had previously done it through the chemist. He was as surprised as me when i turned up a few weeks later asking him to write to the pct for funding for the bypass after my appointment at hope. Have seen him since and he is quite excited for me even though he felt it was drastic measures but said as long as i was happy to go along the bypass route(no pun intended) he was happy to support me.
good luck at the drs
HC

Thanks for the welcome 30FlirtyGirl & HC.

HC,I hope it will be that easy for me, having looked at the criteria for my pct i doubt it. Good luck for your funding xx

Emz Xx

I come under the pct for Brighton & Hove. Does anyone have any experience of gastric bypass on the nhs in my area.

x posted you there. Massive congrats for the funding, hope you don't have to wait long. Now you know you've got it i bet you can't wait to get going!!

I'm under Brighton & Hove in East Sussex

Hi Emz. Welcome to Minis. When you go doctor tomorrow, just be totally honest with him/her about how you are feeling and how much you want the surgery. If you don't get a sympathetic response, try another GP in the practice, but perseverence seems to be the trick!
Good luck and let us all know how you get on x

Hi Emz and welcome!

Good luck with the GP tomorrow. I don't know much about the Brighton & Hove PCT criteria, but if there is a good reason why trying Xenical or Reductil won't work for you, then explain it to your GP. Be strong and don't let them fob you off. Really use the opportunity to state your case and make sure your GP backs you fully... (and if they don't, as Ali says, go find someone who does... having the support of a good GP is really important).

Let us know how you get on!

Alice xx

Thanks Alliecat. i've specifically chosen a gp who i think will be sympathetic and i'm going to tell him how it's affecting me and my family. I'm fed up with my kids having the fat mum!!

These are the guidelines from my pct. Do you think that reads that i'd have to try tablets and dietician first. Don't think i could face that for a year. They way i'm going now i'd be bed bound!!

Bariatric surgery is available as an option for the management of morbid obesity (BMI>40 kg/m² or BMI>35 kg/m² with co-morbidities) providing all of the following criteria are fulfilled:

· Individuals are 18 years or over (NICE 2002)
· There is evidence that a combination of appropriate available non-surgical measures, including behavioural management, exercise, diet and pharmacotherapy, have been tried but have failed to achieve/maintain adequate clinically beneficial weight loss over a period of 1 year of active intervention.
· Following referral to a designated centre, individuals receive a comprehensive multidisciplinary assessment (NICE 2006) before being selected for surgery. Assessment is expected to include psychological, anaesthetic and surgical review, and individuals should be aware of the need for long-term lifestyle modification.

Appointments early tomorrow evening, i'm looking forward to it. think it might be quite theraputic to finally tell someone how much my weight is ruining my life :cry:

I think each Gp will view the criteria a bit differently. When i saw my GP and asked about xenical/reductil etc i was told that of 4 tablets available, 3 were contraindicated because I had depression, and the last was no good for constant snackers (which I was one!!) so I never got to try tablets. Having said that due to an inheritance earlier this year I was fortunate enough to be able to go private rather than having to jump through all of the hoops to get the surgery on the NHS, but I do understand how frustrating a journey it is. Good luck for tomorrow, go with an open mind, a determined attittude and see what occurs!!

Well for what it's worth, I think that you can word a letter to show that you have met those criteria. Yes, it does mention pharmacological intervention but it lists it amongst other criteria of which a combination is required... so I think if you make sure they know about your other weight loss efforts and give a compelling reason why surgery is better than trying the meds, you stand a good chance of meeting those criteria.

Now, stop worrying and good luck with your appointment!

Alice xx

Thanks ladies, feel better about it now. I won't know until i try, so i'm going to stop worrying about it now and see what occurs tomorrow.

Well done on your losses xx

Hi Emz, welcome to Mini's :D

I can only repeat what everyone else has said, be honest and don't take no for an answer!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Shel

Last night was the dreaded appointment with the doctor. I thought i'd done really well, choosing a doc i thought would be sympathetic and i'd rehearsed what i wanted to say.

It couldn't have gone any worse!!

My doctor is of the opinion that if you eat a little less and exercise a little more, hey presto you're thin!! Now why didn't i think of that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't listen to a word i said. He thinks i'm depressed and that's why i can't lose the weight. I tried to explain that it's my weight that's making me depressed, not the other way round.

He wants me to have a blood test for thyroid ( if only it was that easy), glucose & cholesterol.

He gave me a prescription for orlisat, told me to follow a low fat diet & come back in september.

So now i'm feeling even worse. . . . . .

Have any of you tried orlistat before, any advise for me??

Note to self . . . . never again book the last appointment of the day.

I'm pleased the weather has cooled down so i now longer look like a beetroot!!

Have a good day peepz

Yup been on orlistat. It was horrid for me as I have IBS and it sent my bowels haywire. However I know others who have done very well on it.

The good news is that depression is a contra-indicator for all of the other weight loss drugs, so you won't be allowed to go on them.

In my area, you have to have tried orlistat and reductil for 6 months each with nurse support, unless there is a reason why you can't.

Thanks Shel. The doctor wasn't very helpful, just gave me the tablets and told me to follow a low fat diet. So i googled orlistat and found a forum. Someone on there suggested following the bhf diet book so i've downloaded ready to start tomorrow.

I'm really nervous because i've only heard the negative stories about these sorts of tablets. I don't fancy pooping my pants!!

I have so much weight i need to lose and like everyone else i'm sure, i want it gone yesterday!!

PMA to everyone. We WILL get there!! Xx

Sorry the appointment did not go as you hoped Emz. I had to have all of the blood tests done when I first went about my weight - from that point of view the doc is doing his/her job to rule out any other types of medical issue that could be causing your weight gain.
If the tests come back clear, and you don't lose weight on the tabs, he/she is more likely to be more sympathetic on your next visit. If not, try a different gp x

The only problems you should get with orlistat is loose stools IF you eat fatty foods. If you follow a healthy diet while on them you shouldn't have bowel problems.

i had to follow the BHF diet for over a year before my op, its quite simple once you get used to the portion sizes.

Back