• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

any advice for my 1st band fill?

Hi Everyone,

I have got my 1st band fill tomorrow at 5pm. Is there anything I should know before i go? Is there a fasting period? Can I drink water/anything before I go? Unfortunately Ive lost my letter with this info on.

Im really nervous. Really not sure what to expect. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks x

Its best to be empty as possible - have breakfast and maybe a very very light lunch. Maybe soup.

Are you having it done under xray?

I was asked to not eat 3-4 hours before.

Its really quick and very painless.

Basically they get you to stand in front of a very big machine to locate your port site, once that is done, surgeon will either mark or put needle in then. This is painless, honest, as needle goes only through thin layer of skin and into port, not the muscle.

He leaves the needle sticking out and then will get you to swallow barium, which is not horrid at all, mine had no taste just cold, he looks at how it goes through, then he depresses needle to inject saline, he will then get you to swallow more barium until he thinks the adjustment is just right. The needle stays in, then he gets you to drink water. Its meant to feel normal and not tight, so be careful here.

Once you are swallowing water without a tight feeling, he will take the needle out and let you go.

The whole process for me took about 5 minutes.

No discomfort at all, went to the hospital canteen and enjoyed a cuppa actually.

All I was advised was to stick to soft food for 24 hours then go back to normal. To begin with there was a little more restriction than I have now but not a massive amount to be honest.

Glad to help :)

Hi Cazbandy,

Thank u so much for your advice. I had 2.5ml put in it and it didnt hurt a bit. I dont know what i was worried about. It is much better restriction and will help me start to loose weight again. The man who put the fill in said it looked about right on the xray for a so I didnt argue, afterall hes the expert!

I wrote for a 1st fill on that msg in last sentance. Not sure what happened there. Anyway thank you very much for putting my mind at rest. I am going to work with the band now and hopefully I will shift an extra stone or so.
I hope all is well with you.
Kind regards R x

i wonder why some clinics do it by xray iv never had one i just lay on the bed he wacks the needle in and im doneafter a little drink needle comes out i also always have a decent lunch befor i go lol glad it went well for you

i wonder why some clinics do it by xray iv never had one i just lay on the bed he wacks the needle in and im doneafter a little drink needle comes out i also always have a decent lunch befor i go lol glad it went well for you

Thank you very much serenity. I dont know why some do it thru xray and some not. I guess its down to the personal preference of the surgeon. It is a good restriction and im hoping the weight starts shifting again now. The plateaux was so disheartening. How long did you wait for fill no2? Hope all is well with you? :) Take care R x

Back