• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any advice please?

Hi everyone...can anyone help..

Am asking on behalf of my brother.. he has a few issues with his health and is classed as morbidly obese..he's wondering if he'd be able to be considered for WLS?

one thing he feels will hinder him - is he is a paraplegic so his exercise is highly limited but he does swim with help..
he has type 2 diabetes, heart problems in the family, high blood pressure, depression and undiagnosed sleep apnoea.. he hasn't been seen by diabetic dietician in over a year, has 3 youngs boys and after his last fall at the wknd, he wanting to look into WLS as it will help him be more able to help himself and increase his independance..

anyone any idea what his chances would be?

thanks all..

Hi Mands

Sorry i'm not able to give much constructive advice as it sounds like your brother as a pretty unique set of circumstances, i'd imagine the best person to speak to about WLS is his GP, i know there's others here on minis that suffer with disabilities of there own and they have managed well with WLS, so i can imagine it wouldn't be completely out of the question.

Best of luck though

good luck on his quest for wls

shell

Hi disability shouldn't stand against him, I am disabled (although no way near as severely) and was unable to exercise (still very restricted) and it didn't cause any problems for funding.

His diabetes and sleep apnoea will help him with funding. The one problem could be his depression. He needs to work at getting that under control as if he doesn't he could well end up self sabotaging and not succeeding afterwards.

Back