• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any sipping rules re. fluids?

mr97

I had surgery (sleeve) 6 days ago and can only manage 2 to 3 teaspoons of pureed food. My dietician advised me to take my time eating - even if my entire meal is on tablespoon rather than a plate:). After only 2 half teaspoon portions I stop as I think the sensation I feel in my stomach is letting me know to stop. I don't know for sure as all these feelings are new to me and I just don't want to stretch or aggrivate my sleeve in any way so I'm being extra careful.
Thing is, I can't find any info/rules re. sipping fluids:confused:
and now I'm finding that after just a few sips of fluids, my stomach is reacting in the same way as if I'd had a few teaspoons of pureed food.
I'm trying to retrain myself to not gulp my drinks - something I always did - but is there timescale between sips I should be adearing to or are the signals my stomach is sending me not a sign that I'm full?

Thanks Paula, I'm probably being over cautious. I'm scared that I stretch my stomach so I'm treating it as if its made of glass. lol

My husband purchased me two baby bottles to make me sip rather than gulp :) it works!

Mind you I did get some funny looks at work LOL

Try not to worry too much Will, just get a sports bottle that way you cant take great gulps thats the beauty of them. Just keep drinking in between meals take a bottle wiht yu whereever you go sip sip sip, the more you drink the easier going to the loo will be and the less likely you become dehydrated. Also the water is what keeps the inside clean and can help promote the healing process as does the protein. x Have you been weighed yet Will? xx

Thanks guys,
I haven't been weighed yet Chrisa, but I know I've lost weight as my tracky bottoms keep falling down when I walk accross the room now. lol

With regards to sipping fluids - nothing for 15 mins before or 30 mins afterwards. Other than that - keep sipping, if u take too much it will feel like a marble is resting in your chest (if it happens just 'jiggle' a bit and it helps it go - I had to do it at the wls support meet I met you at lol), it does get much easier in time

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Back