• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Suggestions for hairloss??? Im going to be Bald!

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hi there,

Well my hair is very fine, and at this rate I'm going to be bald!! So it worries me.
It's coming out in the shower,brushing and all over my clothes.
Curently taking
Zinc soluble and a selenium tablet,
And I do have a protein shake most days to up protein.
Is there anything else to do???
Or try???
And when does hairloss stop,I'm 5 months post op

Please help me before I'm bald!!..lol

Im exactly the same! I havnt got selenium, for some reason the GP didnt prescribe it. Im going to make an appt and ask why, Im taking Zinc though and I have just bought Alpecin to try. I dont think apart from keeping the protein up theres much you can do. XX

Its been advertised on the TV lately and Kelly mentioned it last week. Its a shampoo with caffeine, sounds weird but its supposed to help with hairloss and its had some great write ups in the papers etc. They sell it at boots the chemist, not sure if they stock it anywhere else but it sells out fast. I got mine the other day but they didnt have it in the Trafford Centre Boots I got it at a more local smaller branch. I think it was £5.80 or similar, under £6 so worth a try. :D XX

Hair loss???? it's the first i've heard about this...any more info would be appreciated x

There isnt really a lot you can do its a normal reaction from the body to loosing a fair bit of weight. It will stop and grow back when your weight evens out. Ive been told to double up on my multivitamins. My selenium and zinc levels are fine so having extra isnt going to make a difference. Its upsetting for me. I have really long hair though so its more noticable. If you have long hair too having it cut will help a bit as it wont look like so much hair.

Does the hair loss thing happen to every one x

My hair loss is much less at the minute. Having about 8" cut off seemed to help tremendously. It's looking so much better now.

I had to give up on the zinc; it just made me so ill every time I took it.
So I'm afraid the only thing I can suggest Em is a good hair-cut love.

Sarah it is very very common for the hair to thin and fall out in great quantities after WLS. It's just the body's reaction to a big weight loss, as ZNZ says. I don't think everyone suffers, but many of us do.
It does settle down though.
Grace xxx

What is happening to your hair just now is it's response to something that has already happened so all you can do is get as much protein and supplements in to cut down any further loss or thinning.

Most post WLS hair loss is just thinning and breakage, it rarely comes out in clumps so it is best to protect what you have by using good shampoo, supplements and getting it cut.

Try not to brush when wet, use less products and let your hair have a few days off fom styling, heating, products etc now and again.

Kerastase shampoo is highly recommended for thinning hair. It really makes the hair feel hair thicker by penetrating it with keratin. Apart from stimulating your scalp, I can't see how the caffeine shampoo can help the actual hair. Hair is dead, it can't be stimulated but if you get a product like Kerastase which contains keratin, this will actually penetrate the hair, coat it and smooth it, protecting it from breakage.

For anyone on the forum with longer hair, it might be worthwhile investigating getting your hair treated with a Brazilian Blow Dry pre-op. This is a keratin-based treatment which takes about 2 hours and costs £75 - £200 depending on length and how pricey your stylist is.
Your hair is basically sealed in keratin and as long as you use a sodium-free shampoo, it will stay in great condition for about 14weeks. Some people advertise this as a permanant straightening treatment as it greatly reduces the need to use straighteners on your hair. Don't be tempted by the DIY kits available on Ebay etc as they just don't work - the straighteners needed for the initial sealing-in of the keratin are much hotter than household ones.

The good news is that post-op hair loss is temporary and will come back so try not to worry.

Best of luck. x

I was sure I was going to be the first WLSer to go bald.

It came out by the handful - but it has when I'm stressed since I was a little girl - way back in the last century!!

It stopped after about 3 months - and being a DSer I'm onloads of supplements.

One brazil nut contains a days worth of selenium - which is supposed to help with hairloss. The body can't cope with anymore and the excess is wee'd out.

Mine stopped eventually and instead of being drip straight has the slightest kink!!

xxx

Thanks Angela thats really helpfull....I have Brazil nuts sometimes but Ill try and make sure I have one a day :D XX

Good tip about the brazil nut, will have go try this.
I'm wondering whether to buy some perfectil from boots, or I wasting my money as they can be expensive.
What do you think?

Interesting about brazil nuts... I always have them in my fruit&nut mix that I snack on every day. I had some hairloss but it wasn't too bad... wonder if they were helping !

Back