• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Vegetarians out there?

Dinda

I've been a vegetarian since I was 13, just wondering if there are any post by-pass veggies or vegans who might want to share their experiences? I'd be really interested in your tips and tricks.

I didn't think to mention it at my pre-op assessment but I'd be really upset if I was given something by accident. Maybe I'm worrying over nothing?

No sorry Dinda ... I love my meat :(. Think you need to mention it though, depending how committed you are. Good luck sweetie & congratulations for having the courage of your convictions, mwah xxx :)

It was reading Kate's (Mrs Q) post about the Muller light that made me think, I'd not eat those because of the gelatine in them.

I know it seems a bit silly to be worried about what stock they might use for a drink or soup post op in hospital when I'll have bigger stuff to deal with, but it's important to me.

I've got no issues with anyone who eats animals or fish, it's just not for me x

Last edited:
Well some drugs use animal derivatives too in addition to the chicken soup they mostly offer as your first meal post surgery. I think this is something you need to be telling them about sooner rather than later to give them time to adjust things for you. I am sure you are not the first vegetarian to have the op, but they will need to be aware of it. Have you researched what you will be able to eat post surgery to keep your protein levels up? Sure you are a master at this anyway if you have been vegetarian for so long, but tastes change a lot after surgery so you may come out craving a steak, lol :eek::eek: xx

im sure, like all hospitals they cater for veggies, but they need to be forewarned, good luck :) xxx

I have not been on any medication (except my chewy calcium), to be honest I'd not even considered post op medication - so thanks for that! I've refused to take capsules in the past - but didn't think I'd be getting those with a new pouch!

I'll have a chat with the hospital on Monday, these days vegetarian options/alternatives are fairly common. It wouldn't be an issue if I had an allergy or it was related to faith.

I'm on the liver shrink diet now and veggies have Tofu and Quorn to replace chicken or fish. I have been curious about the ability to digest certain things post op - the reading I've done does say it's an individual thing, so that will be interesting.

I know I won't crave steak, it's been 33 years.

I have not been on any medication (except my chewy calcium), to be honest I'd not even considered post op medication - so thanks for that! I've refused to take capsules in the past - but didn't think I'd be getting those with a new pouch!

I'll have a chat with the hospital on Monday, these days vegetarian options/alternatives are fairly common. It wouldn't be an issue if I had an allergy or it was related to faith.

I'm on the liver shrink diet now and veggies have Tofu and Quorn to replace chicken or fish. I have been curious about the ability to digest certain things post op - the reading I've done does say it's an individual thing, so that will be interesting.

I know I won't crave steak, it's been 33 years.
never say never :D x

Hi Dinda, I've been a veggie and a vegan in the past but now eat a little fish now and again so just identify as a non-meat eater now (have not ate meat for 25 years).
I've not had any problems post-op and prepare a lot of my food in bulk and freeze....saves me reaching for non-nutritious food when I come home from work.
I use quite a few of the River Cottage recipes as they contain a lot of beans, peas etc and really fill you up....and taste great.
Quorn is really good too and very easy to digest. Any questions, feel free to ask.
You may find your Forceval capsules are in a gelatine capsule.

Hi

I havent eaten meat for 25 years but like Biggy I do now eat fish occasionally.

Im a bander but have had no problems with quorn, tofu etc. Some bypassers / banders / sleevers do struggle with meat post op but have been ok with quorn. Im sure there will be veggie alternatives on your post op diet sheet too.

I know what you mean about muller lights, a nice strawberry yoghurt with a dash of beef - yum, NOT!

I did have soup at the hospital but the choices were veg, tomato or chicken - so no probs there. Good luck x

Back