• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone 3years or more post op?

Martha123

Hi I'm new to this site. I had my op (roux-en-y gastric bypass) March 2008 at St Richards Chichester by Guy Slater. I have lost a total of 12.5 stone and have maintained this loss for the last 2 years even though I had a baby (something which would never have happened without the op!) Anyway even though I am thrilled with the weight I've lost I cannot seem to shift anymore weight (I lost exactly the 80% Guy Slater said i would) i have got into bad habits and cannot stop grazing all day . I am terrified of gaining weight but still can't stop eating, I feel I am loosing control and havn't really got to grips with my dodgy relationship with food at all, it just lay dormant for a while. So I would really love to hear from anyone who is a few years on, the excitement of rapid weight loss is far behind them and the fact they have had this operation is frankly 'old news' with their friends and family. How are you getting on living the rest of your life?? Thank you for reading my post.

I'm only 11 moths post op but have been grazing for the last two days and just can't seem to stop myself so I feel for you. welcome to the site.

Hi and welcome to the site.

Well done on your weight loss and for becoming a mother - fantastic!

There are a few long term bypassers that post regularly so hopefuly one of them will post soon x

Congratulations on your loss & your baby both fantastic results for you & those who love you. I'm almost 12mths out & agree the grazing does creep back in if we aren't careful. I brought the book Gastric bypass an emotional first kit which I found fantastic pre-op & feel perhaps it's time I re-read it again to high light where I'm letting things get the upper hand again. Beyond that I doubt I can be much use. Good luck I'm sure more experienced lads & gals will be along soon to help you soon.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Martha123 said:
Hi I'm new to this site. I had my op (roux-en-y gastric bypass) March 2008 at St Richards Chichester by Guy Slater. I have lost a total of 12.5 stone and have maintained this loss for the last 2 years even though I had a baby (something which would never have happened without the op!) Anyway even though I am thrilled with the weight I've lost I cannot seem to shift anymore weight (I lost exactly the 80% Guy Slater said i would) i have got into bad habits and cannot stop grazing all day . I am terrified of gaining weight but still can't stop eating, I feel I am loosing control and havn't really got to grips with my dodgy relationship with food at all, it just lay dormant for a while. So I would really love to hear from anyone who is a few years on, the excitement of rapid weight loss is far behind them and the fact they have had this operation is frankly 'old news' with their friends and family. How are you getting on living the rest of your life?? Thank you for reading my post.

I'm five years out, I lost 18 stone my bmi is now 27 from 72! I work full time and so keep busy during the day. I don't graze during the day but tend to a bit in the evening. My tips would be keep busy and always try to have healthy options on stand by. Ive put on about 7lbs in the last year this is my 1st weight gain since my operation. It's not a daily struggle but a way of life now. I call it trade offs - input and output!!

penelope1008 said:
Congratulations on your loss & your baby both fantastic results for you & those who love you. I'm almost 12mths out & agree the grazing does creep back in if we aren't careful. I brought the book Gastric bypass an emotional first kit which I found fantastic pre-op & feel perhaps it's time I re-read it again to high light where I'm letting things get the upper hand again. Beyond that I doubt I can be much use. Good luck I'm sure more experienced lads & gals will be along soon to help you soon.

Do you mind me asking where you got this book?
I really could go with reading something like this
Thanks x

Amazon. I did a search pre-op for gastric bypass books as part of my research. It's upstairs right now I'll pop up & get it in a bit & put up the full title author & isbn number for you. It's an American book but has as many things relevant to us Brits as the Americans some of the terms need a little translation but on the whole it's a great book to keep coming back to.

penelope1008 said:
Amazon. I did a search pre-op for gastric bypass books as part of my research. It's upstairs right now I'll pop up & get it in a bit & put up the full title author & isbn number for you. It's an American book but has as many things relevant to us Brits as the Americans some of the terms need a little translation but on the whole it's a great book to keep coming back to.

Hi
I looked on amazon,but it only sold as a kindle version,I would love to read this book I only own weight loss surgery for dummies and it doesn't really have anything about the 'new mind set' after surgery.
And I really could do with reading something like your book. X

Author is Cynthia L Alexander, PsyD
Isbn no 978-0-9768526-5-0.
Title is The emotional first aid kit a practical guide to life after bariatric surgery. Printed in the states.
Hopefully trying one of the other online book stores or somewhere like waterstones you may yet find a hard copy.

Thx long term post Oppers it gives us newbies a look into the future. This like most does worry me but still in a state of euphoria about op & weight loss. Time goes so fast so mindful of what a year out will feel & look like.

Just put isbn no in a search on amazon came up with a load new at just under £16, used around £10

Hi, I was July 2008 and had a baby since aswell :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bellydancer57 said:
Thx long term post Oppers it gives us newbies a look into the future. This like most does worry me but still in a state of euphoria about op & weight loss. Time goes so fast so mindful of what a year out will feel & look like.

Hi there,

Yes totally...the first year,it's exciting!
It still is when I can fit into something gorgeous!
But...your mind set and new way of life can need some getting used to.
That's why I want this book x

I had my bypass in Nov 09, and live in fear every day that the weight will start piling back on.

I graze too, I tend to feel hungry on the hour every hour - whats that all about.

I eat all the so called wrong things. biscuits mainly !!!!!!

My weight fluctuates between 9st 13lb and 10st 10lb.

I seem to maintain like this and to be honest are very happy with it. However I do worry that Im not eating healthily, especially when I still struggle to eat a proper meal, but then can scoff crisps and biscuits no problem.

Like I've said in other posts, I now eat what I want when I want (bread is still a no no though and red meat). The difference being when I was big I'd eat a massive dinner, then a whole packet of biscuits, now I only have a couple. A whole tub of Ice cream, now a small scoop, I'd eat several bars of chocolate, now I only have a small peice etc....

Its nice to eat as I say "Normal" but the fear of weight gain will never go away !!!!!!

Hello Cicca, Thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay in responding, wow 18st thats amazing and 5 yrs on you are still maintaining, thats very encouraging to hear. Are you quite relaxed about the long term weight maintanence or do you worry about it? I get quite panicky about it if I think I am eating too much, even though my weight is staying roughly the same, I would like to lose another 2st but don't seem to be able to get my head around it at all. Did you struggle when it got to the last bit or did it all come off at the same pace until you were at your goal weight?

Last edited:
Hello fat again,

I am totally rubbish at knowing if ive replied to the right person on here! But thankyou for your reply, you sound exactly the same as me except you have obviously managed to shift more weight than me. (well done you by the way!). I think when you have spent so long with a serious weight problem you never lose the fear of becoming that person again. Its good to know that I am not the only one who feels like this.

Also hello shelbel , thank you for your message, becoming a mum after wls is amazing as (I don't know if it was the same for you) but it would never have been possible before so it is totally the icing on the cake for me! Even though I never have any time anymore, hence why I'm only looking at these replies 2 wks after my original post!!

Last edited:
Martha123 said:
Hello Cicca, Thank you for your reply, sorry for the delay in responding, wow 18st thats amazing and 5 yrs on you are still maintaining, thats very encouraging to hear. Are you quite relaxed about the long term weight maintanence or do you worry about it? I get quite panicky about it if I think I am eating too much, even though my weight is staying roughly the same, I would like to lose another 2st but don't seem to be able to get my head around it at all. Did you struggle when it got to the last bit or did it all come off at the same pace until you were at your goal weight?

Just saw this sorry!

I'm very relaxed about it, for the 1st period in my life it's the last thing I think about. I eat to live and not the other way around. It's fuel and not comfort. I fluctuate a bit, 7lb up 7 down. But I feel that's normal to me now.

Anna x.

I'm at 3.5 years out and have lost 21sts, 10 before bypass and 11 since. It is a struggle to maintain and I have regained twice around 1.5 to 2 stones but got it off again. I lost the final stone of the 11st post-bypass weight at the end of year 2 and got it off again in May - July this year. I find it hard to maintain but I will not give in I am never going to be 32st 11lbs again but will I get heavier???? Who knows. I just know my use of food as a prop continues and I certainly have not managed the eat to live approach much as I wish I could. More work needed but the bypass is a continuous work in progress for me. I think my biggest driver is that I had all the plastic surgery done privately afterwards which really finished off the work of the bypass. I used my retirement fund (i'm self employed) and I cannot afford to waste that money as next year when I retire I don't want to be getting fat again and as well as not have enough money to do anything nice.

You can get back on track and lose some more just keep trying.

M

Back