• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone ever come close to cancelling op!

purplefluffything

Has anyone ever come close to cancelling op the closer it came?
I ask this because being open & honest I have thought about this a lot just lately not just usual fears of waking up ect, the fears I have are I'm so worried I will be one of the unlucky peeps who have lots of problems after surgery they could be short or long term?
I'm worried because I already have a disability which sees me visit my local hospital once a month for treatment this is for life, the pump I have implanted inside of me is very worth it and needed but as caused me lots of problems in the last almost 8 yrs iv had it, it has made me very Ill at times where iv spent many weeks at a time in hospital. This has put lots of worry & strain on my family specialy my husband who has health problems as well..
Iv been constantly weighing up my options..
Just wondered if anyone else has had simular thoughts??
Hugs xx

Hi Diana,
I was ultra scared and whilst waiting for the nurses to come and get me from my room i was looking for an escape route, so that.
I was constantly thinking if they're not here in a minute then i'm gonna run!!!!!
Obviously i didn't, I think everyone has fear and worries about what will happen its normal xxxx

My brother cancelled surgery twice Because he thought he would have "one last go" at losing the weight himself he said later he regretted putting it off
and although the bypass hasn't worked as well for him he has never regretted it and he is more able bodied now

i think it all the time - knowing my luck i will be the one it goes wrong for, its mad really just little things that could effect my luck like making sure i take my xmas tree down on time and that because wouldnt want to tempt fate. but i will still go through with it because i think the what ifs are a lots less risky that what if i donts, if you know what i mean.

there nothing to sugest you cant have a bypass and love it for the rest of your life being in your new body and being able to do lots more things, and your health has got to improve as a smaller person post op too.

I was absolutely tortured for weeks leading up to my op. My fear was not so much the possible complications but simply dying during surgery. I wanted to be a better, more able mother for my children and kept thinking surely it's better for them to half "half a mother" which is what I felt like, than no mother at all.

The fear is so natural, and the dangers/ risks were driven home to me at every appointment, in every media driven frenzied account of the poor outcomes. I was close to manic in the 48 hrs prior to surgery and seriously wondered if I should go ahead with it, but know that I woulkd have regreted it for eternity if I did not.

For the vast majority here, it seems to have been the right decision, after all, nothing ventured, nothing gained, OR LOST as the case may be!

All the best

Hi Diana isnt it strange how were all different, my only worry was not waking up but it was my first ever time in hospital. I know it's easy for me to say as i'm nearly 20 months post-op now and 11 stone 5lbs lost with no problems but please please try not to worry and look forward to a new life. To me it seems the majority of people do great that is why so many long term oppers dissappear from this site as they hardly need help or advice as there lives change so much for the better and i'm sure you will be amongst those successful ones. Stay positive and just imagine where your be weight wise come the summer!!!!

Diana, I totally understand... this last week, I've been saying to myself... 'if only I could do this'... 'without surgery'... and then I say... well, I've reached retirement age almost, wasted most of my life in this body and still can't do it... so for me... there is only one way to go!

But I know exactly what you are saying, it's part of our journey to question the surgery and part of our acceptance of changing our lives forever.

Love and hugs Angels xxx

Strangely, I have not been worried much at all. I had witnessed it all first hand with a friend, at the same hospital, and had total faith in my surgeon and his team. On the day I was nervous yes, but not before. And that was mainly because I've never had surgery and it was the fear of the unknown that made me nervous. I never thought I was going to die on the table. I thought to myself, my surgeon is an expert in his field, has done thousands of bariatric surgeries on people of all sizes, I'm sure he will do his job well. And I also kept my thoughts focused on the life ahead. The life I never had and that is now within reach. The feeling of HOPE was (is) so overwhelming, I had no room for fear. I just didn't allow it. In the months/weeks before I made a conscious decision to focus on the positive.

That's not to say I wasn't aware of the risks and what could have and can still go wrong. Gotta be completely aware and prepared to take a risk.
Best decision I've ever taken.

I think we have all thought about cancelling at some stage! I was up and down like a whores drawers :eek: but at the end of the day I knew deep down inside that it was the only chance I had of ever being a normal weight....I had to do it for my health. Good Luck hun Im sure you will make the right decision...for you! XX

I did think about cancelling, but with a new government, do we have any idea if nhs wls will continue to be available? That was why I went ahead, a case of now or never.

I have had quite a few complications since surgery, was in a lot of pain initially for about two weeks or so, I had a wound bleed, and a wound seepage, and now feel very tired and sometimes sick to the point of cancelling my 6 week check up yesterday because I felt so ill, the headache, which I have always been prone to, didn't really help either.

But even with that, it was then or never. Just do it. And good luck and happy healing.

Jacki.

I never thought about canceling or worried about complications post op. I was nearly 30 stone, had diabetes that was spiraling out of control, blood pressure so high I could feel my pulse through my hair :D cellulites infections, dodgy knees that kept me awake with the pain, couldn't walk and breathe at the same time, couldn't tie my shoes, could barely reach my own arse, etc etc etc so I just figured well if I don't wake up at least my worries will be over.

On the day of the operation however as I sat there waiting in the anti room for them to say they were ready for me, I actually stood up to say I can't do this and leave and they opened the door and said we're ready now Karl. Ten seconds later my fat arse would have been out of there paper knickers and all

You're right to consider these things honey, and to have doubts, its perfectly normal to do so. In the end you have to write down the pros and cons and see which list outweighs (No pun intended) the other. Only if you are truly ready for this will you be able to cope with the rigors of post op life

Good luck with it xxx

I would like to thank everyone idiviualy but it would take far too long so when I say thank you for replying on this thread I do mean to each of you xxx
Reading all of your replys mean a great deal to me, I feel so down about the way I'm feeling, which as you know is terrified, it really is the thought of post op, if only I could have it written on paper it would all be fine!
Please don't think I'm ungrateful for being offered the op and recieving funding due to so many fighting to be where I am, I'm very grateful..
I just need to get over this hurdle and be very sure of my decision.
I'm still starting my pre op diet next week, going to do everything I should be doing, it can only help in the long run can't it..
Love to all of you.
Hugs xx

Diana, the night before surgery I seriously considered cancelling. And as I'm sure you know, I have had major complications since.
So would I do it again? Yes love, in a heartbeat.
I couldn't beat my eating disorder without this help. Morbid obesity was stealing every shred of my quality of life. :(

I am now taking back what was stolen from me: both in terms of being in control around food and making reasoned and sensible choices (Oh Joy!); and in terms of re-gaining health and fitness.

Like you I had/have a chronic health condition (M.E./Fibromyalgia): the psychologist I saw pre-op warned me that surgery could actually make things WORSE!

The first weeks post-op were hard in some ways, i won't deny it. And even more so post-op 2. I felt and feared the psychologist's warnings might be coming true.

BUT I am now feeling tons better and more healthy (apart from my streaming cold! LOL) and am beginning to regain mobility and fitness! I actually am LONGING to get out for a walk!
Something I haven't done in years and years. :)

That's my experience love and I hope it helps to inform your decision. it has to be right for you.
Grace xxx

Awww bless you Diane...if i had a tenner for every time that i have wanted to cancell then i would have a bigger bank account.

Its going to be a worry for you dear and as you have other problems its not easy, but for me i could never go back and i will wait patiently untill i have wls...i worry all the time and it is really depressing.

Im sure what you are feeling is natural and you will be fine.

Thinking of you love, dont forget that xxxx

I never thought about cancelling

I worried terribly about not waking up - not for me but for my children- I wouldn't know I hadn't woken up!!

I had a ver poorly husband and did wonder if it was fair putting my daughters through me having an op necessitated by my own actions - they were watching their dad be ill through his own fault.

But was it fair having them become more and more needed for caring for the pair of us?

I have chronic health problems - I had type 2 diabetes and it would be easier to think of the bits without osteo-arthritis rather than those with!! I injured my back lifting patients in 1983 and have had chronic pain ever since.

Still have chronic pain!! - 2 new knees and a new perspective on life.

I was going to be the one person for whom a duodenal switch didn't work!! As if!! So i would have put the family and my body through all this for nothing!!

If you are sure that you think that losing weight will help your other condition then I would say go for it - it's not easy and in some ways food has become more important in my life - in that I have a specific amount to get in daily - but I'd do it agin in less than a heartbeat!!

Love and hugs

xxxx

Hi there
I booked the band op for April 2009 and cancelled two days before due to convincing myself I had a throat infection and would not survive the op. I then booked it for July 2009 and cancelled again because my husband was made redundant. Each time I just scared myself senseless and I gave in to those thoughts.
I booked the op again in June 2010 and again on the morning of the op I wrote on here that I was considering not going but I got in the car and I have never looked back.
This journey is not easy but I regret the waste of a year in one way but in another way I know that I was truly ready for the op and the challenges that it brings.
At the end of the day only you know if you are ready and if you really want to go ahead. I wish you every success and know you will make a good choice for you and thats all that matters
Loads of love
Jo XX

This morning I've just heard some very sad news. My friends wife passed away last night. She had the bypass a few weeks ago and had been back in and out of hospital with various complications and eventually succumbed to a suspected blood clot. Her kids are still so little. It's absolutely heartbreaking and for the first time it brought it home to me that I could die having the surgery. But each case is different and perhaps she had more comorbidities or was generally less fit than me. Although I feel desperately sad for her and the family I still want to go ahead. I don't have children though so perhaps my decision is easier. We are all told the risks but it's so easy to just ignore them and say we won't be the one who dies. But what a hold our eating has over us that we can't find the willpower to eat healthily even when faced with the threat of death.

Hi Diana,
I have had my op postponed / cancelled by the hospital 5 times now that this week i really thought about cancelling, my fear is the problems i will face after the op as i am also classed as disabled and have a number of other problems for which i am under the hospital.
I also have a fear of lose skin but also along with this argument are all the positives i will get from this op, i will be less weighty, my breathing will be better , i will or hope support my own muscle strength and it will i hope help my sleep apeana .
Dian i am now going ahead and i have my op they have promised this time the 25th Jan 2011.

Can i ask you are you completely happy with your surgeon, ,my surgeon is great and i wouldnt have anyone else but there are other surgeons at my hospital whom i didt feel so happy with .............................

I wish you all the luck in the world diana xxxx

Hi Tracey I'm unsure about my surgeon, people here have had him including 'Roch' iv heard he did lose a patient a few yrs ago when doing wls but she had things wrong with her apparently?
My surgeon called me yesterday to explain why iv been put back a week, he said he has a meeting In Belgium and does not want to do my op and not be around. He stated he wants the best team there when I have my op and wants to be around incase anything goes wrong? But he does not anticipate anything going wrong. ( I feel he is insecure operating so near to my pump implant..)
My daughter then said to me a few days ago " mum why go through with this when you are like you are and can be Ill at anytime which usually puts you in hospital.. She then said I want a mum for along time yet and wants a nanny for any future grandchildren..
Yorki I'm sorry about your friend I feel so sad to hear that this lady had died and the children have no mother now??????? :(
Iv have a few weeks to decide if I want to go ahead. My husband doesn't want me to say no yet he doesn't want me to rush mu decision to say no or yes
Thank you for all your help I appreciate it very much..
Hugs xxx

Back