• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone Go Abroad For Surgery?

MrsKoj

Did anyone go abroad for surgery?

This is another option that I am now seriously considering. I always said I wanted to stay in this country for my WLS but now I am just so desperate for the surgery to be done that I am rethinking this.
I don't seem to be making any headway in my preparations for surgery here.

What are your stories for going abroad?

TIA

In what way are you not making headway in the UK, if you are self funding there seem to be plenty of companies out there to choose from :)

Yeah it is the self funding - I can get a loan for the amount required for going abroad but not the additional £3500 to have it done in this country

Ah right, I guess it is much cheaper to go abroad as with anything do plenty of research :)

Yeah of course - I also know 2 people that have gone with the company I am considering.

This is only a fact finding mission at the minute - I just wanted to see if anyone else had done it and what their experiences were

No but I seriously considered it as I found the wait for NHS surgery excrutiating. During the period for being submitted for surgery and getting it I managed to develop diabetes and hypertension so will always regret that I didn't manage to either get the nhs surgery before that happened or scrape the money together to go abroad. x

Yes I went abroad to Brussels. I'm 11 days post op. best decision I've ever made! I was a bit weary of going abroad but I done alot of research on my surgeon for months. Hospital was like 5 star hotel. They were excellent. It cost me 4250 euros. In pounds that's about 3400 sterling.

Well good for you for starting this process! It's not an easy decision to make. But it'll be the best decision you've ever made. I'm 11 days post op and so far have lost 1 stone. The hospital I got my band in does the sleeve and bypass and plictation. If you google Dr. Chris De Bruyne wls in Belgium all the info is on their web page. Take your time to research the surgeon and surgery you want. And be comfortable with your decision. Hope it turns out well for you. If you need any more info just ask!xxxxx

As thank you - I desperately want the surgery here. I have the surgeon picked and everything but just cannot get the finances together - no further forward than I was in April when I saw the bariatric nurse at the hospital.

Obviously got a lot of research to go before I definitely make my mind up but thank you for your help. I will have a look at the website

I had a wrap abroad with Cosmetic Bliss. Best decision I have ever made. I am a year and half post op and at goal after losing 12 stone. Good luck whatever you decide xxx

That's Snow White - it is Cosmetic Bliss I think I would go with but I just need to look into it a bit more.

There's a surgeon I've heard good things about called .....worth googling as well I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please re read comment, your post was edited to remove the reference to him and his associates. We have to do this because of constant spamming, I am not saying you are a spammer.

Pierce

I'm in the same boat, I'm over 29 stone and getting bigger. I've been working with my gp for about 3 years to get bypass on nhs, but I have to prove I can lose weight first, which I can not do. I am looking at getting a loan and going abroad. I think it's the only option, but I am worried about op and after care. I have been looking at nord.com in Lithuania who charge £5600 has anyone else used them?

Back