• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had it ...? Looking Into it?

cah-ching

I've never really been smitten with the bypass. However it struck me today that I hadn't considered the sleeve.

Anyone had it? How do you feel? The results (statistically) aren't as good as the bypass but are better than the band.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all.
I SMS'd Mr. Khan earlier and he called me back but I missed the call, so I'll return his call in a bit when my phone has completed charging.

Any criticisms? (I'd be most interested in hearing those :D)

Thanks in advance - CC :)

I'll tell you next week (I'm having my op on Saturday!) xx

Get in touch with mixman he has had it done and has just hit the 12 stone lost barrier so it cant be all bad.

I had Mixman in mind when I started the thread to be honest ;)

I've been trying to find 'bad' things on YouTube and I haven't been able to e.g. complications etc.

I've 10/11 Stones to lose.

I was originally told by the hospital that they may do a sleeve instead of a bypass because of my size. I read somewhere that if your BMI is over 55 they recommend a by pass. For various reasons I really wanted a by pass and was lucky with my surgeon in that he did it. However, since then I have come across a few people that were smaller than me and were refused a by pass because of their size so I think a lot of it is the choice of the surgeon.

Mixman has done really well and is defintely a good advertisement for the sleeve. Well done Mixman

What bad things are you looking for?

Physically bad or the food you can cannot eat?

Hiya :wavey:

Stuff on possible complications. Foods that you can and can't eat post op. That sort of thing ... more or less the same stuff I searched for and found on Banding & Bypass :)

(I've been nosing around your profile hoping to see pics - I'd love to see what you look like now :eek:)

Hi CC

I have been doing the same as you & looking at all options. Initially I was set on a band (didn't want anything as invasive as a bypass) then starting researching the band & realised that its easier to cheat on & that wouldn't be a good thing for me. Then whilst looking into the bypass I looked at the sleeve & thought that this seems like a really good option. I like the idea of restriction, of being limited with the amount of sugars etc & it seems to instigate more discipline in the user!!

For me personally I like the option of the sleeve the most out of all 3 but will take guidance from the people that know the best but feel sure now that the sleeve is what I'll be saying I'm most interested in!! (at least until I change my mind again!!;))

Complications only occur after the operation. The main complication is leaking from the staple line.

Food tolerance is higher than the bypass but the same regimé is used after as the bypass. You don't suffer as much from malabsorption or dumping. I was told there was a possibility of dumping, so I haven't tempted the demon.

Not a sugery or fatty food has passed my lips!

hard work and exercise is needed but great results can be had.

I've been meaning to take some more recent pics! I'll get a couple later!

I was just going to add that you Mixman have been extremely disciplined with yourself and not eaten anything that you shouldn't...

I have a friend who also had the slieve and is coming up to almost ten stone loss (may even have made it in the last couple of weeks) and it is around this time last year she had her surgery. She does however have treats of alcohol and take aways, but this is her call! She is unusually one of the people who are truly happy to be overweight but wanted to lose a substantial amount to help with fertility problems...

Good luck Chaching and let us know what you decide to do! x

I've had a sleeve as part of my duodenal switch.

My starting BMI was 63 and until I woke up I didn't know whether I would have a full DS or just the sleeve - it was the full op.

Because of the maladsorption of the DS I have to have 100gm daily.

When I eat it's protein first then carbs and veggies.

If I try to eat too much I get a watery mouth and feel sick but usually only bring back the bit that was too much!!

I know when I've had enough - I feel very full and it can be uncomfy.

The other effects of the DS come from t'other end - a lot of wind sometimes smelly and bulky poo - causes very little problems though

I've lost 12 1/2 stone so it's been successful for me lol!!

Have put some photos on but this is all on this computer - more on my Facebook page

Good luck with the decisions

Angela

As Julie (phatmomma) has said, I've been a saint. Not a drop of anything bad for you or any alcohol etc. Here's a few pics taken a few minutes ago.

I cold have tried to hide things but I wanted to show what I am exactly like. I am wearing one of my tight bodywear tops I wear underneath my cycling gear to keep me warm! Plus you can see my leg in my 3/4 tight cycling shorts lol

DSC06611.jpg

DSC06612.jpg

DSC06601.jpg

Hi, you look amazing well done. I see we had the same surgeon!!! Do you attend the support group at the Norton roundabout hotel? Mr Ackroyd is the guest speaker at the next meeting. Debz x

To be honest Debz, I haven't attended any as I've found it pretty good and not felt the need to go. Altough I would like to thank Dr Ackroyd in person and perhaps share my experience.

When is it next?

Back