• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had it ...? Looking Into it?

Hi, hope you are ok.... I had the sleeve on 21 December 2009. The band was no good for me as I dont have enough willpower not to put naughty food in my mouth. The bypass was no good as I had to have tablets in my stomach for 12 hours for my arthritis. So I had the sleeve. The sleeve used to be just for people who had a really high bmi and was done as part 1 of a two part operation. The second part (duodenum switch) was usually done about a year later when enough weight had been lost and therefore considered safer.

However, recently the sleeve is being offered to people with lower bmi's and they dont need to have the second op. My bmi was nearly 45 and was told they used to do sleeve when bmi was 60 or above.

I have lost 4 stone 1 in 2 months and feel great.

Each of the ops have their own advantages and disadvantages and Im not for one minute suggesting the sleeve is better than the band or the bypass. It is personal choice and circumstances which usually dictate which op to have.

Results are showing that after 18-24 months the weight lost with the sleeve mirrors that of the bypass, but again everyone's weightloss is different.

I havent found any food I cant eat. I eat pasta, rice, steak, pork, etc etc. I just chew it really well. I know there are some foods that cant be tolerated with the band or bypass but also some people who have had the sleeve cant tolerate certain foods. Again, it differs with different people. I know this probably isnt helping as its not defining definitely, but Im just being honest. I know different people who have had the band, sleeve and bypass and all have periods of difficulty with certain areas of their surgery.

I wish you well in whatever you decide... keep us all posted and if you have any questions, just shout xxx

Thanks Debzy,

I was hoping you'd find this thread as I couldn't remember your name I could only remembered Mixman's and as it happened your picture.

What difficulties/complications have been had with the Sleeve? DO you know? Like I said I can't find anything on the interweb.

Hi MixMan ... thanks ever so much darling for sharing your pics with us!! You look very well. Your legs especially :drool: I mucst say you've done really well from the 'before pics' I saw on your profile whilst snooping today :eek:

Hey!

About the meeting, I went to one when I was Pre-op and found it to be really good!

I'd like to go to the next one but I dont know if private patients can go? Any ideas?

I dont see Nerissa (dietitian) until 15th March now to find out if its ok for me to go. I will ask for a sheet with dates on and post them up :)

PS: sorry for the thread hijack

Hi, not sure if private patients can go or not. You are best ringing Liz Goven at the Hallamshire. Reception is 2711900 and just ask for her by name. You have to put your name on the list to attend... think they have to know numbers for health and safety at the hotel. Debz x

Oh yes, I remember doing it last time now.

Hi, the next one is on Weds 3rd March 6-8pm at Park Hotel, just off the roundabout at Norton. You would need to let Liz Govan know first though. If you ring the Hallamshire 2711900 and ask for her by name, you can put yourself on the list.

I went for my check up a few weeks ago and didnt actually get to see Mr Ackroyd. I left him a thank you card though and was really surprised to get a letter from him, thanking me. Quite sweet really. Hope to see you there. If you need any more info, just shout. Debz x

Hi Debz

I havent seen Mr Ackroyd since the day of my op in May,even when i went for my first checkup at the Hallamshire and to say i had complications during my operation and needed a blood transfusion,and was i re-admitted into hospital with Jaundice :eek:

I know he is a very busy man,but i must admit i would have thought his patients would have seen him at least one .

Perhaps this seems a little harse to some people but this is my personal opinion.

xx

i had the sleeve last tuesday (16th feb). the only thing is i had an elongated stomach to start with, i am looking into this at the mo to find out how much i had taken out. this is not a common thing so don't let it put you off. otherwise i feel great a bit sleepy still but no pain, food wise easy, hardest thing was going to the toilet for the first time.
i couldn't find any neg storys about the sleeve on the intenet either.
sue.

Hi there reading your comments i am the same as you started wanting the band then i am seriously considering the sleeve, my op is 17th June, so i have to decide and let my surgeon know have you researched any more and have you decided?

Hi there reading your comments i am the same as you started wanting the band then i am seriously considering the sleeve, my op is 17th June, so i have to decide and let my surgeon know have you researched any more and have you decided?

Hiya,

Not researched any more. SHould do really. x

Back