• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had their surgery at St. Richards??

emmafifema

Hi all,

Have had a letter today from my GP saying that I have to go to see him tomorrow to hand in my filled out forms/questionaire for St. Richards so he can send it all off.

Was just wondering how long did it take from this point until hearing from them for your first appointment?

I am so impatient it is unreal lol! Must be the excitement of the thought of getting this weight off :):):)

Hi Emma
I had my bypass at St Richards on 4 Feb 2010. I know at that point the waiting list had been closed for some time so I don't know how long you would have to wait now. In my case, I got referred in July 2008 and had my op in Feb 2010 - almost 20 months later! Be prepared for a long wait and if it turns out to be shorter - great! Rest assured the hospital are fantastic. Good luck!

Hi all,

thanks for your replies! I have just been to the docs to hand over all the forms and questionaires for St. Richards.

In passing conversation I said "hopefully it will all be done within a year" to which he told me that they now have new guidelines to stick to which state the surgery must be performed within 18 weeks of the chosen hospital receiving the referral....................

Has anyone else heard this??? I was told by the lady at the PCT referrals that they have to have me on the waiting list for a date within 18 weeks but my GP said thats incorrect???

xx

Hi Emma

Every pct is different. My journey took about 18 months in total as you have to have other assessments done. My understanding for my pct is that once on the waiting list for surgery, they should schedule your operation for 18 weeks later. But due to beds and emergencies this is not always the case. I made it up the surgical waiting list in 22 weeks.

MrsSkint, thats fantastic! Very speedy! I just hope that mine is the same......when were you referred to St. Richards by your GP??

I started this route last September when my GP referred me to Ashford & St Peter's regarding Gastric Band. I had several appointments to see Dietician, Psycologist etc. My last appointment was March 11th with the surgeon and he advised me to have the bypass. I contacted my GP asking if it was possible to have the op at St Richards as it is much closer and she got onto it there and then. Within a week I had heard from St Richards and it's been moving fast since.
Today I started the milk diet...so far so good
I hope you hear very soon.
Keep me posted
Lynda

I started this route last September when my GP referred me to Ashford & St Peter's regarding Gastric Band. I had several appointments to see Dietician, Psycologist etc. My last appointment was March 11th with the surgeon and he advised me to have the bypass. I contacted my GP asking if it was possible to have the op at St Richards as it is much closer and she got onto it there and then. Within a week I had heard from St Richards and it's been moving fast since.
Today I started the milk diet...so far so good
I hope you hear very soon.
Keep me posted
Lynda

I wanted to go to ST Richards but the waiting list was closed when I was referred so chose Charing Cross, my appt that I should have had on Friday at CX has now been cancelled & they couldn't reschedule at the moment... I think I'll ask my GP if she can refer me to St Richards now instead!

Thanks for the info. xx

Hi there my sister sent her forms back via GP beginning of March, within 3 weeks she had her all day MDA appointment at St Richards on 9th April was told that she would have an op date within 18 weeks....10 days or so later she had the call for her pre-op on 22nd April and surgery 1st May very quick indeed!!!!

Good Luck xxxx

Hi
I had my paperwork back to St R's by Feb 16th, had my MDT assessment on the 26th February when I was told the op would be within 18 weeks and then had a phone call within 2 weeks to tell me my op was on the 21st April. I have my post op appointment on the 1 June. Hope that helps.

Wow, these replies are making me feel really really positive about the time scale of things! If they deal with me this quickly I will be over the moon!!!

Thanks for all these replies and keep 'em coming xxxxx

Back