• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone here had NHS funding in Wales

cherrydrop

My GP told me funding for wls is not available in Wales. What do I do? move or use my life savings, doesn't seem very fair somehow.

From what I gather it is almost impossible but not completely, to get funding in Wales. Someone on here does have some statistics about how many operations have been carried out there in the past year but Im not sure who it is. Hopefully they will be along soon.

If you have a very high BMI and have co morbidities that support your application for funding, I would pursue it, keep trying, you never know.

Movign home is a bit drastic, but if it is an option for you it may be worth considering. The only problem is, that the whole journey from start to op can often take up to 2 yrs or more in some cases, are you prepared to move away from home for quite so long.

Like you say the only other alternative is to go private but this is not possible for may of us either.

Good luck with yoru journey

XX

I was referred by my doctor in the middle of August, got NHS funding and was sent an appointment at southmead hospital Bristol for the 9th November (I live in Monmouthshire). Do not give up keep asking your doctor for help it worked for me in the end.

Thank you for your replies, I'm in North Wales so I doubt I'd be sent to Bristol unfortunately. I am keen to have the duodenal switch procedure which of course would make things even more unlikely as it's still relatively new here in the UK.
My BMI is about 42, but I do have co morbids also. It looks like I'll have to self pay, but even that isn't easy. If I beg and borrow everything I can, I'd be lucky to raise £10,000 and the cheapest option here I've found so far is £12,000. I'm even looking at having the surgery abroad even though the mere thought of going to somewhere like India to have the surgery scares the life out of me.
I'd love to hear from anyone who's had surgery abroad with a good outcome.
thanks again
love
Sandra x

if being overweight starts taking over your life then i would use my savings, good luck with your weightloss journey cherrydrop. by the way my favourite band in the whole wide world come from prestatyn!!!!!!!!!!

Ah The Alarm is it? can't think of any other band from here lol. Yes, I don't mind using my savings, I know it owuld be worth every penny, it's just raising enough pennies might be the problem.

yes cherrydrop it is THE ALARM ive seen them over 80 times!!!!! oh to be young again!!

I was referred by my doctor in the middle of August, got NHS funding and was sent an appointment at southmead hospital Bristol for the 9th November (I live in Monmouthshire). Do not give up keep asking your doctor for help it worked for me in the end.

Blimey, you are the first person I have ever heard of who has had WLS through Wales good for you matey - I think I want your autograph! Did you go through the Weight Management clinic in Nanty-glo or just through your GP? Last year Wales did 12 operations. Dr Haboubi who runs the Gwent Healthcare Weight Man Clinic (only one in Wales) has not had one success - even though some of the people he has applied for have had BMI's in their 80s.

To O/P: It is tremendously difficult to get WLS in Wales, and v unlikely with a BMI of under 50. As far as I know there are no WM clinics in N.Wales at all. It is not impossible but I would seriously consider going Private to be honest. I did and I am so grateful that I could beg, borrow and save enough to have it done.

Oh gosh quetiapina Its only just now I realised your in south wales bach ;)

I spent most of my summers as a youth in Llanelli with my nans family,my genes are more Welsh than English lol. Havent been there for a good few years, the last time I was there was to bury my great aunt. the last surviving sister of my nan.

Ok sorry for hijack............let gettign back on track resume :)

Xx

Hi Swizzle, I don't think I've been to Llanelli but there are some wonderful places in Wales. Childhood holidays stay with us forever I think and make a place so special in our minds.

I'm actually Cornish but I moved up here for a teaching job in '94. My son knows some Welsh as it is taught in all schools. I know verrrry little but I married a welshman who now as I'm disabled from work, looks after me very well. I have wonderful friends here, my son is in Uni here, I have great services for my illness, people are friendly and funny. The accent is pretty catching - I now sound more Welsh than Cornish. Just wish it didn't rain quite so much! Hurrah for Wales! x

Blimey, you are the first person I have ever heard of who has had WLS through Wales good for you matey - I think I want your autograph! Did you go through the Weight Management clinic in Nanty-glo or just through your GP? Last year Wales did 12 operations. Dr Haboubi who runs the Gwent Healthcare Weight Man Clinic (only one in Wales) has not had one success - even though some of the people he has applied for have had BMI's in their 80s.

To O/P: It is tremendously difficult to get WLS in Wales, and v unlikely with a BMI of under 50. As far as I know there are no WM clinics in N.Wales at all. It is not impossible but I would seriously consider going Private to be honest. I did and I am so grateful that I could beg, borrow and save enough to have it done.

Hi Jenni,
All done through my GP, BMI is 52 I have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis, depression, etc.
Did lots of searching in Google and printed off a lot of information gave this to my GP (in the middle of August) and asked if there was a way I could get some help.
When I went back to see him in September he said he would apply for funding if I was sure that was what I wanted him to do, he also said they normally take a long time to answer and not to build my hopes up.

Next Gp visit was 12th October and we were both surprised at how quickly they replied to him saying funding was granted. He said that they would be sending me to Bristol.
29th October I had two letters from southmead hospital Bristol. One for a load of bloody test (bit of a rush, as I had to take the results with me) and the other was an appointment for 9th November at their weight loss surgery assessment clinic. Next appointment is at the end of January 2010.

The appallingly low statistics for wls in Wales is truly disgusting. Can you imagine the national outrage if this were the case for example heart transplants. I think a letter or three to my MP would be in order.

Hi Jenni,
All done through my GP, BMI is 52 I have type 2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoarthritis, depression, etc.
Did lots of searching in Google and printed off a lot of information gave this to my GP (in the middle of August) and asked if there was a way I could get some help.
When I went back to see him in September he said he would apply for funding if I was sure that was what I wanted him to do, he also said they normally take a long time to answer and not to build my hopes up.
Next Gp visit was 12th October and we were both surprised at how quickly they replied to him saying funding was granted. He said that they would be sending me to Bristol.
29th October I had two letters from southmead hospital Bristol. One for a load of bloody test (bit of a rush, as I had to take the results with me) and the other was an appointment for 9th November at their weight loss surgery assessment clinic. Next appointment is at the end of January 2010.

That is fantastic mate - good for you. I hope this is a sign that Wales will increase funding for people. Hope yr op happens soon and good luck for the journey! x

Back