• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone struggling to get back on track?

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Hi everyone, well I have not posted for a couple of weeks and one of the reasons for this is that I am so frustrated with myself. I had a blast at Xmas - managed not to put on weight but now I can't lose it either - my eating seems to be in a pattern of 2 good days one bad day 2 good days etc.

I'm not sure if I need a band fill or just a kick up the a*se. I have a friend who also has the band and is also finding it difficult to remain consistant also.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone with any ideas/comments - they don't have to be positive - just real.

Thanks people

Lv Jen x

I know its probably like telling your grandmother to suck eggs, (meaning your quite experienced in post op) but I find by weighing myself every other day it gives me a wake up call!! I watch the tv whilst ime on my stepper or run up the stairs as fast as me lil legs will go lol silly things like that it tends to give me a bit of the old morale. NO! slider food and crappy foods!! LOL xxxx Kindest regards Gail x

Hi Jenni, good to see you posting

Im not a bander but it sounds to me like you may need a fill... only you know honestly whether that is true, or whether you are eating too many slider foods?

Alternatively, it may be time to try the 5 day pouch test?

Good luck with getting things moving again hun xx

Hi I am pre op (woohoo its tomorrow) I have no idea but like The others have said, is it that too many slider foods are going in and not enough "proper" food. The pouch test is a good idea. The 2 bad days are they down to just feeling like eating crap or hungry days ?
If it were me I would write down everything I was eating in a day and work out ow you can make it better and if you cant then maybe a fill is whats needed x

I am a bit like this at the moment, I think it's a combination of things, Christmas, the weather, feeling hemmed in etc...

I am due for a fill on 28th of this month and I know i really need it. I still have some restriction but I am definitely able to eat more than I could before Christmas.

The winter is my worst time for food, I find I think I need more.

Roll on 28th and a chance to get back on the straight and narrow.

Don't punish yourself over a sticky patch, in the long term big picture it will mean nothing. It's just a glitch and nothing more.

Weighing yourself all the time can be soul destroying, I now only weigh myself once in a while. I can guess a loss or gain by the way my clothes feel.

You'll get back to it...don't worry xxx

You are not alone! I had a week of this too.

I cleared my cupboards of all the crap that had accumulated over the holidays.
I was invited to a friend's for Sunday Lunch, so i made a chocolate torte with all of the random chocolates i had recieved over the festive period. At the lunch i had a slither and left the torte at my friend's house for them to finish!

I made a huge pot of chicken soup- broth, stock, veg and chicken. Low in fat, filling and satisfying.
I have been having porridge oats for breakfast too.

Generally i cut back for a few days (I went cold turkey from cheese!) and found that my appetite deminished and i was able to stay on track more easily.

Good Luck! :)

Hi Jen

Yes Im struggling to lose as well but I know I need another fill, maybe you do too.

The crappy weather etc doesnt exactly inspire you to eat salads and go out jogging either does it!

See if you can get booked in for a fill, good luck x

Sounds like you might need a fill. People on here say do the pouch test.... Maybe Im being thick, but what is that please? x

Hi Debzy

The 5 day pouch plan is a method devized by a US consultant to help bring bypassers who long term lose control of there pouch back into weight lose, the plan works by re introducing the paitent to the correct use of there pouch and the feelings of restriction. The long term feasting on slider foods will cause the pouch to stretch, part of the plan takes the paitent back to the very begining by introducing a liquid, sloppy and then pure protein stage over a 5 day period.

People also talk about 'the cottage cheese test' this isn't part of the 5 day pouch plan as such, but is rather used as a way to measure the volume of the pouch, I.E how much can you consume before reaching restriction on a dry pouch, and then the test re run at day 5 of the 5 day pouch plan to see how much the pouch has shrunk.

This was devized for bypassers, i'm not sure if or how it would work for a bander, and i've never heard of a bander using it.

I feel exactly the same too...good days, bad days, just cant seem to get it right! I know I'm eating all the wrong things...bread being the worst. I need to start from scratch like a couple of the others have said. Perhaps if we all support each other, get a fill, and move forward with positive thinking we will be slim in no time... hope so anyway lol xx

ok i dont know if i should put my comments on here but here goes you all know i just say it and i dont mean to offend anyone, firstly the band is only a tool bands do work the failing comes from the band owners not using it correctly with the wrong food choices & often thinking they need a fill when they do not as sometimes its more down to wrong dietry choices such as eating sliders ect, the longer we have been banded the more complacent we seem to get with our food choices and because we "can" eat stuff we shouldnt we do, this is where we need to hold it together and begin to use will power to control the food choices we make, yes a fill can help alot of people as sometimes thats all thats needed to help the situation but banders can not rely on fills alone to be successful we have to learn to use this tool properly to get the maximum benfits from it.

Liz x

You are so right Liz...i think i made the wrong choice with the band, I should have had a bypass...I just couldnt afford the 4k difference. Guess I just need to buckle down and work on my willpower like the rest of us. Good luck everyone x

You are so right Liz...i think i made the wrong choice with the band, I should have had a bypass...I just couldnt afford the 4k difference. Guess I just need to buckle down and work on my willpower like the rest of us. Good luck everyone x

Susie, use the band to its full potential, maybe you did by your own admittance have the wrong op BUT whats done is done and you now have a band, the band is such a gr8 opertunity and the benefits of banding can be brilliant, if the pouch isnt holding the correct foods then a fill is needed, good luck hun and im always here if you need a chat or anything ok x

Thanks Liz, really appreciate it. Am going to contact my provider book in for another fill and take it from there. I will take a look at what foods I m eating and rework my diet...I m going to try and use my band to it full potential else it will have been a waste of 6k. Firstly I need to get a smaller plate and get back out of the habit of drinking whilst eating!! I know I am such a naughty girl! Thanks again Liz x

Thanks Liz, really appreciate it. Am going to contact my provider book in for another fill and take it from there. I will take a look at what foods I m eating and rework my diet...I m going to try and use my band to it full potential else it will have been a waste of 6k. Firstly I need to get a smaller plate and get back out of the habit of drinking whilst eating!! I know I am such a naughty girl! Thanks again Liz x

susie its fine no need to thank me but all these little bad habbits us banders get into does effect weight loss i know as ive done most of them my self at some point since being banded so i know all the tricks ect, ive gained a little weight recently and i need to get back on my sensible head, its some times hard for us but we have to stay positive and help each other through the hard times xxx

good luck hun !

Liz x

Thankyou people for all of your comments and helpful advice. I think Liz is right about those of us who have had the band for a while can get a little complacent. I think I will book a fill towards the end of the month but meanwhile get back on the horse with going back to basics as I would hate to have a fill only to cock it up due to "Xmas food" head still being with me - even just a bit.
Thanks again people x

Thankyou people for all of your comments and helpful advice. I think Liz is right about those of us who have had the band for a while can get a little complacent. I think I will book a fill towards the end of the month but meanwhile get back on the horse with going back to basics as I would hate to have a fill only to cock it up due to "Xmas food" head still being with me - even just a bit.
Thanks again people x

Hi Jenni, being complacent i believe is part of the banding process i have been there myself, banding is lets say a life style change but we have wls/banding because we are food addicts at the end of the day that some times never leaves us, & with some banders thats why old habits creep back in as we become comftable with banding and knowing how to cheat it with certain naughty foods, when that point comes we have to get sensible as we didnt go through all this for nothing, banding is good, losing the weight is good, keeping it off is hard we need to do the real work the band just helps us along the way xxxx

Liz x

Last edited:
I agree with Liz on all parts but I know a fill is needed as I can eat more chicken...that is a sure sign for me xx

ok i dont know if i should put my comments on here but here goes you all know i just say it and i dont mean to offend anyone, firstly the band is only a tool bands do work the failing comes from the band owners not using it correctly with the wrong food choices & often thinking they need a fill when they do not as sometimes its more down to wrong dietry choices such as eating sliders ect, the longer we have been banded the more complacent we seem to get with our food choices and because we "can" eat stuff we shouldnt we do, this is where we need to hold it together and begin to use will power to control the food choices we make, yes a fill can help alot of people as sometimes thats all thats needed to help the situation but banders can not rely on fills alone to be successful we have to learn to use this tool properly to get the maximum benfits from it.

Liz x

I agree Liz it seems people can fall into the 'I can eat it so I will' trap and no amount of fills will stop that. However Im like Caz and need another fill, cant have one until after my op though :sigh: I will just be happy not to gain in the meantime - no gain over xmas.

Back