• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Struggling

salski

Hiya all - is anyone there? Im struggling this week. Ive been eating loads carbs and craving crisps and choc. Everytime I eat im feeling 'hungry' and noting seems to satiate me!
I think it is because I have come on my period and not really having them before, half of me feels like its an excuse and other half thinks thats why Im feeling so un satisfied.
I have had 2 packs of crisps and some pringles in the past few days, popcorn and lots of toast. No way near as much as pre-op but still feels like a lot!
Does anyone else feel like this, either TOTM or just this time of their surgery?
What can I do to help satiate me? Any advice would be much appreciated?!?!

Struggling Sally:sigh:

Sorry I can't say anything specific Sally but in general, try to think how you'd feel if you started putting weight on, how you was before your op. You don't want to go back so try hard.

I know TOTM affects women in all different ways, God do I know :D and unfortunately I can't help with this.

Have you tried having liquids if you're feeling hungry and seem to be eating too much? See if filling with water takes away the hunger pangs.

Hi Mixman - thanks for your reply. Your of course right in what you are saying about piling the pounds back on, and even though I know this, Im still sat here now thinking about eating those damn crisps...actually walking to the shops to get some. I know how messed up that is!!
Ive been doing so well. Ive finally a pound off losing 5 stone and so close to being a normalish weight yet I want to continue to eat eat eat. As I said I hope its purely the TOTM issue as I only started yesterday and this has been going on for about 3-4 days...so I hoping it goes away soon!
Thanks for taking time out to give me an ass kicking xxx

yes its not unusual to feel this way for TOTM, i would suggest keeping ourself busy, if your occupied you cannot keep picking up snacks. Another way is not to buy them to start with, i snack far less if i have nothing like it in the house. If you must have something to crunch on how about some carrot sticks?

Hiya all - is anyone there? Im struggling this week. Ive been eating loads carbs and craving crisps and choc. Everytime I eat im feeling 'hungry' and noting seems to satiate me!
I think it is because I have come on my period and not really having them before, half of me feels like its an excuse and other half thinks thats why Im feeling so un satisfied.
I have had 2 packs of crisps and some pringles in the past few days, popcorn and lots of toast. No way near as much as pre-op but still feels like a lot!
Does anyone else feel like this, either TOTM or just this time of their surgery?
What can I do to help satiate me? Any advice would be much appreciated?!?!

Struggling Sally:sigh:
Hi Sally
i had it month 3 where i just felt like stuffing my face and did with carbs week before and week after then it went and i've managed now to not do the carbs so much and had banna or yoghurt which i have to say has helped with the mood before and after lol.. i've never suffered with pmt before my op but for some reason i do now pre op i had regular periods too and canrt work it out lol.. xxx

Hi Salski
I'm only 3 weeks post op so a bit of a newbie. Mixman has prob said most of it, i would say if you really feel you have to have a sweet treat those choc twister ice lollies are ok with sugar and fat levels but good for a choc fix. Also i have found a few teaspoons of no added sugar angel delight helps now and again, mind you i'm still on puree so maybe a bit different. Hope the cravings pass soon x

Hiya all - thanks for your replies. Im just being a moany arse and I know it. Guess I will just have to pick myself up and dust myself off. Tomorrow is another day...wonder how many more clichés I can fit into this?! Haha I shall prepare a little better tomorrow. I dont ever have anything bad in as I would just gorge on them so I do have to get off my butt and go to the corner shop. Will up my fluid intake tomorrow and maybe go for a long walk with my doggy...anything to avoid sitting here thinking of food! Haha

Thanks again xxx

Am a pre-op but have more experience of pmt than mixman lol... Anyway whenever i've been on diets before for a really tasty treat i've had s/free jelly with muller light poured over it. Absolutely yummy and if not had often feels like a real treat. Alternatively get a s/free jelly make it up too 300ml with boiled water then tip a muller into it and give it a good stir and chill till set in the fridge. I heartily recommend a strawberry/raspberry jelly with a blueberry or summer fruit yoghurt, yum yum. If you gotta have something nice then have something nice but low cal still....

Right gotta go off now, need to make some jelly :)

Hi Sally

Just wanted to tell you that you do look great in that side by side picture...you look "tiny" now.

Don't undo all that you have done...and done so well...

I have always looked at crisps as a bag of fat....when you see how thin the potatoes are sliced and how much fat they absorb...

I know I can't speak as a post opper but maybe some good carbs will help around this time of the month for you.

You are looking good girl.

ps: if you have a really sweet tooth...try Stevia, you can only get it on Ebay from Canada...it has no carbs, no calories, tastes fantastic and lasts for ages...oh and it's natural too....You can add it to drinks or cooking...anything you want to...(it is pricey but lasts ages)

good luck

(((hugs)))

hi sal sorry yr having a bad time of it. i find when i have PMT that the best way for me to curb any cravings is to avoid all simple carbs compleatly but instead i make sure i have wholesome meals that are really tasty and satisfying eg chilli con carne, steak with pepper sauce, fish pie etc. This way i find it reduces my cravings.
Also someone surgested carrots i grate mine with a little bit of cheese and a few salted penuts added and it makes a yummy snack.

I think we all have days where we struggle to maintain discipline Sal so firstly don't beat yourself up, well not too much anyway :D

Head hunger/cravings are far more dangerous than the actual physical feelings of hunger you get sometimes get. The head is the hardest enemy to tame.

If I feel hungry between meals I have a coffee. It always quells my hunger. If I feel an urgent need to eat crap or foods I no longer want to be associated with, I take a look at my before pictures. Crass I know but it helps me.

You have come so far and done so brilliantly well I know you will not really allow anything to jeopardize your achievement. Ifin you do your arse will be kicked all over the car park at Salford Royal.......just sayin like :wave_cry:

Hiya all. Again thanks for your replies. The jellies and carrot treats sound pretty good to me! Im not the worlds biggest jelly fan, but mixing yoghurt in may be just what the doc ordered?!
Today I have been a little more prepared in the foods I will have. I have meat marinating for a stir fry tonight. Protein shake for breakfast, chicken liver salad for lunch and a muller granola yog thing for a snack. Karlos...your right...a kick around Salford card park may be in order, but Im trying to be a little more positive today!
Thanks again for all your replies. I knew I should have posted something a few days ago but I left it right until I felt really down about my food intake...again I wont do this next time!
Thanks - and have good days everyone :) xx

Just wanted to say Sal, I feel EXACTLY like you described when I have PMT. I want to eat EVERYTHING that is bad for me during that time and honestly even if I have some, I still want more and feel unsatisfied. It is definately a hormone/head thing for me so I do reduce my carbs but stock up on no sugar added choc. I try to load myself up with protein (shakes/bars/protein cake) which chemically causes a brain reaction of 'fullness' so it helps. As you get more on a regular schedule with your TOTM you can better anticipate the feelling/urges and do something about it. And you can always call and complain to me, because I am in the same boat once a month :rolleyes:!

Nic;)

It's horrible isn't it? Tugged about and derailed by stupid hormones, and worse now than b4 cos of being all unpredictable post op

I'm so glad I read your post, cos thats exactley what I'm doing and hadn't thought it was totm cos the dates don't tally, So I'm gonna up my intake of mind1st EPA which I would highly recomend to all, and Agnus Castus for the girlies only

Thanks for your replies, and Nic thank God your in the same boat! At first it just did not make sense, it was only after I relaised it could be the hormaones etc...and it is in my head so as soon as I get regular, I can plan ahead. I has the protein shake for breakfast and have not eaten since as Im really not hungry. My fella is on his way home and I need to cook, but Im soo not hungry. Might send him to the chippy for himself haha!
Thanks all - its so nice for people to take time out and reply...makes me smile :)

Hey sal just mind that karlos now hes joined the gym. competition could set in here for kicking yr little arse around the carpark at salford royal. could be a new form of exercise. lol

Hhaha - And instead of me joining, my excersize could be running from him! hahaha Ok maybe not running, maybe rolling or staggering! haha x

Hi Sal well you have lots of good advice from the people who know but just wanted to say I hope you feel stronger soon, you have done so so well dont let your head rule your stomach again, its not worth it. You will soon be past the worst of it and like Nic says just stock up on fillers for next month

Jay xx

Thanks hun! And yeah I will be prepared next time! I once was a brownie and a girl guide! Haha - thanks guys :)

Back