• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appetite back

Sparkle-k

Since moving onto mushys my appetite has come back in a big way!:confused:. Is this normal? For the liquid stage I could barely manage half a cup of tea but now Ive started eating again I can eat quite alot. Not as much as before, but more than I should I think. I seem to struggle more with liquid than I do with food oddly (Not a surprise there :8855:)

Its going to take me a while to get used to this head hunger/actual hunger thing I think.

I think maybe the swelling is going down around your band? I'm sure Maz or other more 'experienced' people can help.But that is what I think might have happened, they can be very tempremental these bands! Hope things settle soon for you, I'm 3 months down and three fills in and FINALLY getting restriction and not being hungry. The weight hasn't come off as fast as I hoped but some people, like me, just have to stay with it, eventually we'll be slim (hope yours is faster than mine! xxx)
xxxx sharon

Hey sparkle I'm the same, 3wk post op and feel like I can eat eat eat!! Roll on first fill next month!! x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yep, once the swelling goes down you will feel hungry a lot and for a while you will have to rely on willpower but when you get your fills you will lose that hunger as the restriction returns. Well, thats whats happened with me anyway. I had my 3rd fill last Monday and I'm far less hungry. Its the fills that make it work properly. xx

That's good to hear because I was starting to think would this really work!! x

I'm on mushy too and feeling more and more hungry and can eat quite alot and also at normal speed, maybe once we start normal food we will start feeling restriction

I'm still going through this - am 6 weeks out and first fill last week and feel no different from before! Am going back to weighing and measuring everything that passes my lips though, especially as I have a few big events coming up that I really want to lose more weight for.

Also need to find out from my consultant how often the band fills are, as I got 1ml in a 10ml band and feel absolutely nothing. A bit annoyed but am sure they start out small to make sure there are no side-effects so trying to keep positive :)

Jo I honestly have been feeling exactly the same! I was beginning to think how is this going to help me.

I'm seeing my provider this weekend and hopefully will be booked in for a fill in a couple of weeks. I need to get this bad boy working :):):)

I think the swelling has definitely gone down as I could probably eat a huge meal right now! lol - not that I will don't worry.

x

Mio, Thats probably exactly why they go small to start, to make sure you are ok. I know its must be frustrating but we will get there in the end. xx

Oh oh I am still in honeymoon, sorry liquid stage, so stuffed still on half a mug. Now while u r on mushy food, any recipes? Or is it just mash? I love mash broccoli and sweed mash but I am scared of getting bored. Any ideas?

Hi all. Im about 10 weeks post band op and I also got my appetite back when I went on to mushy. I was actually surprised how much I could eat before feeling full. I did limit how much I ate in each sitting as I'm so frightened of band slippage or erosion. 2 fills later I have 6mls in a 9ml band and still don't really know what restriction feels like. I have to stop myself from eating when I think I should have had enough to fill my pouch. I'm working pretty much on will power but it must be working as I've dropped 30 pounds. My provider are happy to fill me every 2 weeks if needed. Their aftercare has been fantastic. Good luck to everyone on their journey. I live this site!! xXx

Hi Macy Moo, 30 pounds!! well done!! :) Can I ask who your provider is?

Mine just called me and told me that I can stop with the mash and have mince (not blended) and soft veg and soft fruit. This is great news as I was not liking eating so much potato. I haven't experienced anything getting stuck etc yet so she said to just take my time and see how I get on. I'm really glad I can eat some fruit again :)

She said I should concentrate on protein and the veg now and she also said its normal to feel hungry once you move on from liquids.

x

I'm so glad of this site. I'm always hungry since having my band fitted in 2007. I thought it was me being weak but now I realise that the 3 fills I've had in that time, haven't been enough. That coupled with the fact that I can virtually eat anything, including a footlong steak subway. That's what comes of no aftercare from my provider and no-one to turn to for support (until I found this forum of course). Thanks to everyone for telling us your experiences both good and bad x

I felt hungry as soon as I came round from the op, after all I hadnt eaten for many, many hours at that stage.

Feeling hungry is perfectly normal, distinguishing real hunger and head hunger - now thats something different.

I was advised at this stage to have upto 6 tablespoons at each sitting - could never manage that much though. How much are you having, could you perhaps not be having enough?

By the way I cant drink a whole cup of tea without it going cold either! xx

Mazza - what/how much are you typically eating in a day? You did so well with your weight loss and I think it would be really interesting to see how much you eat now you appear to be maintaining.

Sparkle-k said:
Hi Macy Moo, 30 pounds!! well done!! :) Can I ask who your provider is?

Mine just called me and told me that I can stop with the mash and have mince (not blended) and soft veg and soft fruit. This is great news as I was not liking eating so much potato. I haven't experienced anything getting stuck etc yet so she said to just take my time and see how I get on. I'm really glad I can eat some fruit again :)

She said I should concentrate on protein and the veg now and she also said its normal to feel hungry once you move on from liquids.

x

My provider is WLS Group. They have been nothing but fantastic. They also said on my 2nd week of mush that I could have mince and soft veg without blending it to an inch of its life! I was worried that I was eating too much potato in the mushy stage but I really couldn't think of much else that was appetising. I look at it as just a small stage of a long journey and not to beat myself up about the carbs at that stage. Once on normal textured food you can make wiser choices.
I have had a few things get stuck though, tuna, chicken and even mashed potato, all eaten too quickly and not chewed enough as I was so hungry when I ate them. I now try and eat when I'm really hungry (not head hungry) before I get to the stage I could eat a whole cow!
Good luck and remember its early days xXx

I'm with wls group and they have been fantastic with me so far too, calling every week checking how I'm doing. Its really reassuring. I even said to the dietician yesterday I thought perhaps they didn't put a band in afterall coz I was hungry. Think she thinks I'm crazy :) haha.

Macy moo, what did it feel like when those foods got stuck? Will I know when it happens? It's such unknown territory at the mo

X

They are a good team, I feel really looked after. It's a really uncomfortable ache in your chest when you get something stuck. It wasn't until I'd had my 2nd fill that I got something stuck. You will definitely know when you do. Ive been lucky, the pain has passed in a few minutes, I've read on here of some people suffering for much longer. My mouth waters a lot too, like it does when you are about to throw up.
Where abouts are you? Because of my work commitments I'm following them around the country for fills! xx

Back