• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appointment with surgeon on Tuesday- any advice

Great thanks Hargs. I got out on Sunday, still a wee bit painful but totally worth it. I am on the liquid stage for the next 2 weeks which is boring but it will soon pass!

How are you doing? xx

Brilliant I am so pleased it went well for you. Is that it for you now as far as surgery is concerned?

I am ok I saw the surgeon last week. Been researching his work, I have not found anyone who has had their op performed by him but I am still searching.

My fiancé is coming around to the idea of surgery but is very concerned that there is no aftercare in place after 90 days with the surgeon - so if anything goes wrong after that I would have to pay privately. It was the lack of good aftercare that was the problem with my band. I don't know how to get around this?

Hargs

The lack of aftercare with my band was part of my issue too. I have a year's aftercare with my team but I have had to go private. Do they give you a dietician and bariatric nurse or is it all within 90 days and then goodbye? Where abouts are you in the UK?

This is the last of the surgery until my tummy tuck, possibly later in the year. My surgeon wants me to get to my target BMI and maintain it for 2 months. xx

Mine is private with wls group. The surgeon is James halstead in the Yorkshire clinic. I get aftercare with wlsgroup for 3 years after surgery but just 90 days with the surgeon so if I needed something like a 'stretch' of the sleeve I would have to pay. Who did you have surgery with Nd where in the country?

I am sure u will get to your ideal bmi and maintain, exciting times ahead x

I think you would know within 90 days if you needed a stretch or not. I was 2 months in when I realised food wasn't going down properly.

Mine was with Spire Murrayfield and I had both Mr DeBeaux and Mr Tulloh for both my sleeve and my bypass. They have been amazing. I can't say more good things about them! lol

Unfortunately it is too far for me even to enquire about getting surgery there. The company says that once the surgeon has performed the sleeve there is nothing that can go wrong unless you abuse your sleeve. The surgeon I saw said that he had heard of cases where scar tissue had causes a problem but he had not heard of many nor had he ever experienced that? Is it common to have issues with scar tissue. I was told that band slippage was rare and easily fixed- clearly not as mine slipped and I have heard some really horrendous cases

My scar tissue was caused of the tightness of my band. Personally, I'm not sure he is being entirely honest. The team at Murrayfield opened a band-revision surgery allowing people from anywhere to have their bands converted. (They clearly make a lot of money from this!) He says he has done so many that it made them stop offering the band altogether. They have at least 2 band revisions coming from other hospitals every month.

Actually, maybe I'm not being fair on the guy. He possibly hasn;t seen many probs with scar tissue so he probably is being honest with you. Sorry, that wasn't nice of me to say that! lol The scar tissue can, as I have experienced, cause probs with your sleeve. I certainly didn;t abuse mine. If you need a stretch, that isn't caused by abusing your sleeve, that shows there is a problem. Abusing your sleeve would cause it to stretch and allow you to eat more than is possible.

I did not think you were being unfair I am here for advice. My band was taken out after a year and that was three years ago. Did you go straight from band to sleeve?

Yes it was all done at the same time. Maybe with the band being out of your body for so long it may be ok. I know mine wouldn't have been because my stomach had been cut into by the band and that was stopping food from naturally moving down my oesophagus and into my stomach. Even with my band empty I was still being sick.

My band had slipped down my stomach and apparently looked grey as if if had an elastic band wrapped around it for a while so I am guessing it just be scared x

Hi Hargs and Sashie

Sorry to butt in, I had to have band taken out in 2011 due to scar tissue, had it put in privately but was referred to NHS by my GP when things started to go wrong and St. Georges took it out.

I am having either Bypass or Sleeve this Sunday 9th June it all depends on how much scar tissue there is as to which operation the surgeon will do.

Congratulations Sashie on your operation and I hope all goes well for you.

Malibu x

Thanks Malibu- feel free to but in! Ha. What's your story then? What happened with your band, I wish I knew how dangerous they were. I really want a sleeve but I am worried that I will end up ill like I did with the band. Where about are you in the country?

Thanks Malibu :) Good luck to you for Sunday xx

Hargs, would you consider the bypass? From what I understand that is the best surgery for band revision. I wish I had been brave and just gone straight to the bypass and I wouldn't have had the probs I have had! xx

I am worried about the bypass because of the malabsorption element? I have not researched it that much to be honest I was just more in favour of the sleeve because it does not interfere with the digestive system - other than the stomach obviously.
Also I am 27 so don't know if that is young for a bypass? I have not had children yet and don't know if the malabsorption may be an issue?

I know girls younger than you who have had the bypass and are perfectly fine. Ive not had children yet either. having the bypass doesnt stop you having kids. Both the sleeve and the bypass require you to take vitamins daily. I don't know about malabsorption though. I know it can happen but I haven't heard from anyone I know who have had problems with it. I think there have been a few threads on here about it though. I would just hate for you to end up like me, having the sleeve and then it not working because of your band so your only option is the bypass. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone straight for the bypass.....but that's just me. You know yourself what's best for you.
When is your op booked for? Xx

It's not actually booked yet. I want it in August. One good thing tho is that I have not had any pressure from the company I have been making enquiries with or the surgeon.
I will have to go back and ask about the bypass, you are right, I don't want two ops I want this to be the final one x

Back