• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Herapin Injections

MelD

Hi all,

I am pre-op and due to have my surgery in October. My concern is I have heard that some people have to give themselves herapin injections for a while after surgery? Is this the case for everybody? Does this happen with the Gastric Sleeve as well as the Bypass? If so, how long for? I have a MASSIVE phobia of injections, and there is NOWAY I could inject myself of allow a unprofessional person to do it! Help!! Any advice please!!!

Thank you

MelDx

I had a bypass at the Luton and had to have clexane injections everyday for nearly 2 weeks, these were to prevent blood clots. I hate needles too but my hubby done them for me.

I had to do them for two weeks and have to say I was nervous - and then felt daft cos couldnt even feel the thing go on - helps when you have more than a "pinch" to pinch!! You will be fine - the most exciting bit is watching the massive bruise appear across your belly!! I honestly would say if it hurt, but didnt feel a thing xx

I had to inject Heparin for 3 weeks following surgery and it was so easy the needles are tiny. You are shown how to do it and honestly it doesnt hurt I couldnt feel the needle going in. I'm not a fan of needles either so shocked myself I fully expected my hubby to have to do it for me. x

I had a sleeve and didn't have to inject myself at home. Maybe it varies from hospital to hospital?

I was the same as you, couldn't do it myself and couldn't allow hubby to do it, so I arranged to go to my gp's every week day for the nurse to do it, and the walk in centre at weekends. I had the same injections throughout my pregnancy and did the same then!

If you think you'll have to do the same, speak to your gp about making the arrangements before your surgery as you'll need appropriate paperwork from your surgeon to take with you each time.

I know lots of people are not great with needles but have managed to do their own injections, but with a genuine needle phobia it's different. I can't even watch needles or incisions on telly and believe me with my health problems I have had thousands over the years, if it were something I was going to get used to, I would have done long ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies. My phobia is really bad. I just know there is noway I could inject myself or let my husband do it. I have improved over the years as I use to have to have valium to calm me down and emla cream. I still have a BIG phobia but can just about deal with them if I have my mum there with me (I'm a big baby - I know!) I have had these types of injections before in hospital when I had suspected blood clot (but turned out it was partially collapsed lung!). They were terrible and that was with a nurse doing them! My stomach was covered in bruises! I am just praying that my hospital (UCLH) doesn't make you do these injections!

Is there any other way they can keep your blood thin without these injections that people have had?

Thank you

MelDx

I asked the same with my hospital Mel and was told no, but then I have additional health issues which made them even more important, so it might be different for you.

Best thing you can do is ask your team, you can always call and speak to the surgeons secretary or a bariatric nurse, that way you'll know what's going to happen instead of worrying away for the next couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Has anyone who had a band, sleeve, or wrap had to have clexane or heparin injections for weeks after?

I think it's quite common for some surgeons to prescribe it post op. have a look through the forum, there are a few threads about it :)

I have been looking, seems a right mishmash of procedures, no particular pattern to it. I wonder if it's individual to the person and their tests at time of surgery.

I was sleeved and sent home with clexane injections to administer at home. They're still sitting there 17 weeks later....

Heparin injections are dependent on family history,age BMI and length of surgery to name a few categories, their is a national guideline as DVT/ PE is a big killer! Sorry fork for NHS and people get shirty with me when I say they need them. They are for your own good to potentially save your life. Sorry for lecture.

Ps I've just finished 2 weeks worth and can't say I've enjoyed !

I would rather have them than not have them, if it were me. I would be quite happy to self administer. It's only for a short time and the benefits far outweigh the risks if you don't have them, in my opinion.

I am having the sleeve this Friday, and have been told I have to self inject for 10 day on returning home, and keep the socks on for 6 weeks!!

I had the sleeve done on the 4th sept and had to inject myself with clexane for 14 days after, being diabetic I was used to the insolin injections anyway, but now the diabetes has gone yippee :)

I'll be totally honest here. I'm a complete needle phobe, but i actually asked to be sent home with clexane as i knew i was at an increased risk of DVT/PE due to having arthritis/fibromyalgia and not able to move a great deal. They said no to me and said i would be ok and to take the stockings off after 2 days. I kept the stockings on but had had breathing issues straight after surgery. On day 4 it got so severe i needed an ambulance and turns out i have a PE. Now i'm on clexane for 10 days to help break it up. If you are offered it regardless of how needlephobe you are, take it as it could save your life and the pain from having a PE.

Back