• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss with sleeve

Celticlin

Me again!!!!

Does anyone know if it is easy to maintain weight loss with sleeve? Also can a bypass be done at same time? I'm a bit confused. If I have 6 stone to lose bearing in mind that I have a gastric band that has not worked for me and all the weight I lost is nearly back on. I need to get the right surgery as I won't be able to afford any more after this. Again thanks everyone for advice I am really loving this forum. Linda x

No expert here but as far as I know you cannot have a gastric sleeve AND a gastric bypass. It's one or the other!

It might help you to research online. Be sure to avoid sites funded by WLS providers (they are obviously biased). You might get far more honest, reliable information on patient support sites.

You seem pretty confused right now and you would really benefit from good, detailed, non-profit-making information x

Hi Linda, I think with only 6 stone to lose you would probably be advised to have the sleeve. I love my sleeve and have lost over 8 stone in 7 months, as for maintaining, i dont know yet, it all depends what you eat. Stick with protein first and you should be ok, its all the choccie and crisps that will put it back on, they are sliders and very easy to abuse. Good luck :) x

When I first started looking at the options I was confused too. I read the "weight loss surgery for dummies" book and found it explained a lot about the procedures in non complicated terms. I know some people are offended by the 'dummies' bit, but it doesn't mean you're silly!!

6 stone doesn't sound like bypass territory, and hopefully a reputable surgical team would advise you of that.

Good luck with your journey, remember nothing comes with a magic wand and it is a lot to put your body through if you are not prepared to live and work with the changes.

Lots of advice and encouragement for you here x

Hi

As a bypass patient I have 10 stone to lose to get to my ideal weight for height.
I've lost 8,and 2 seems to be stuck!
If I honestly had 6 stone to lose I would have gone for a sleeve.

Hi
As above, the sleeve will probably suit you. Ive lost 9 stone 2 with mine so far and as with both ops you can gain the weight back if you dont make the changes.
Its the surgeons work which has helped me lose the weight, thats the easy bit!

Kim

Hi the Sleeve is proven to be a good tool to assist you in loosing weight.

If you find that it doesn't get you to your target it can be converted to a Bypass at a later date.

My Surgeon told be that he would expect me to be back to have mine converted to a bypass as I have so much weight to loose.

I am 9 months out and 11 stone gone with another 8-9 stone to go :) hoping to avoid the bypass though :)

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all your advice. I will have to do a lot more research as I don't know enough about each of the procedures. I am totally amazed by the weight losses on here. Very well done folks. 6 stone is going to become more if I don't take action. Happy New Year X

very interesting I am opting for a sleeve when originally wanted a band I have approx 7.5 stone to lose and feel this is the best option. The weight loss for dummies book is helpful too.

The only thing that may make a sleeve unsuitable in your case is if there are any issues with reflux.

Yes I have had big issues with reflux and developed oesophageal problems due to the band. This is why it is important to research the surgeries. This is a very good point to have raised. Thanks :)

Unfortunately I have heard the same from someon else who had the band and was then sleeved - she is now looking to convert to a bypass as she is struggling so badly with the reflux

I had my sleeve on 14.07.12 and to date I've lost 6 stone 3lbs. I love it! Another 6 or so to go, fingers crossed I get there. I've not had one problem post op and feel fab. I can't help with the reflux bit as I never had it and I don't suffer post op.

I did so much research when I was looking in to this. I personally think that my sleeve is a tool and is great as long as you are a realist with what you put in to your mouth. I will be the first to admit that I am naughty sometimes. My surgeon advised me to have the bypass but I had research this so much I told him I wanted the sleeve. I am 4 months in now and it has been far from easy one way or the other but I am so glad I had it done. Steve (the sleeve) and I are are getting on fine!

I did so much research when I was looking in to this. I personally think that my sleeve is a tool and is great as long as you are a realist with what you put in to your mouth. I will be the first to admit that I am naughty sometimes. My surgeon advised me to have the bypass but I had research this so much I told him I wanted the sleeve. I am 4 months in now and it has been far from easy one way or the other but I am so glad I had it done. Steve (the sleeve) and I are are getting on fine!

Can i ask why the surgeon recommended a bypass over the sleeve for you?

I was told by my surgeon that the sleeve was initially part 1 of 2 parts of the RNY this was initially done for the very morbidly obese with BMI's over 80. Once they saw how well the patients were losing weight with the first part (VSG) they stopped at that one procedure. I have chosen "The Sleeve" because my surgeon said that you lose almost the same amount as the RNY, and it's less invasive! Good luck!!! :)

Back